BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) Empty Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
So after getting my K running after sitting for 2 yrs with the PO, oil leak out the back of the tranny at the clutch push rod since I drained the tranny and refilled with synthetic. There's a new rubber boot on there. Where/why is it leaking?? Please don't say output shaft seal.

Last edited by club_c on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The problem is seal #12 on the ........ input shaft of the gear box.

Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) Gear-s10

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
As you ask for the 'where' it's leaking; you can only tell us Smile

The seal indicated by Bert above seals the pushrod internally, so the gearbox oil in the pushrod bearing area can't leak into the clutch area. It seals the rod to the front. If this one is leaking you'll have a slipping clutch and oil will leak from the hole in the bottom centre of the clutch housing.
The rubber boot is filled with oil. At the time of renewal I would think you have cleaned where its seating and fitted it dry, with the adjustment bolt pushed into the boot. The boot is fitted with a jubilee clamp on the housing and has a tight fit on the bolt. If you are sure the jubilee clamp is properly fitted then have a good look at the sealing around the adjustment bolt. People have been known to damage a new boot whilst fitting as it is an awkward place to work, specially if you haven't got a bike lift (and even then!). It should be tight if reassembled properly, dry and clean.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Ahhh... so the boot is more than a dust seal keeping dust out, it is also an oil seal, keeping the oil in. That may be my problem (hope hope hope). That is a new boot. I will check the 'jubilee clamp', I don't recall any clamp there at all...

I was watching the video that Bert posted recently - German one showing output shaft seal re and re, and was inwardly cursing, since I was there not all that long ago and could have simply replaced the seal then, rather than tearing into it again. Working the next few days so it will have to wait until days off to review.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
If you look below the jubilee clip is item 5

Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) 5

Found it HERE

Rene

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Just as a matter of interest, I am about to replace my boot and clip, but am wondering if I remove the old one according to all the info on the forum, do I have to drain the crankcase first, or will I get a nasty surprise when I pull the old boot off and oil pours out.
RT

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
RT wrote:Do I have to drain the crankcase first, or will I get a nasty surprise when I pull the old boot off and oil pours out.
RT

First, you have to differentiate the crank case oil and the gear box oil.
On the K bikes, the engine oil (contained in the crankcase) cannot traverse the gear box. When removing the boot, you may get some gear box oil leaking. This is expected. The only passage for the gear box oil is the clearance between the push rod and the bore of the input shaft. A couple of 1/10th of millimeter clearance is not enough to drain the gear box.
This controlled leakage is there to lubricate the trust bearing mounted at the end of the push rod and the rubber boot is there to keep the oil in this area as well as protecting the trust bearing from the elements.
If you are pulling out the push rod, you may get oil leaking from the back of the gear box, but due to its thickness, it will only drip and not pour.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ wrote:If you look below the jubilee clip is item 5

Oil Leak - clutch push rod (SOLVED) 5

Found it HERE
Took a quick peek today and see that I DID install the Jubilee clip. I'll have to look closer where the fluid is dripping. Last shift, and then a few days off, so I'll look harder. Supposed to be nice here, in the high 'teens, so hope to give the ol' girl (K) a few shakedown runs.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, my problem is trying to learn basic quantum mechanics as I go and applying it to an old very advanced bike. My excuse anyway. Getting there tho
thanks to everyone.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
No worries mate, here to help you!

Rene

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Solved. Located a hidden cut in the brand new cup seal at the pushrod. Rotated that to the top and no more leak (for now). I've now got a new seal on the bench, will change it out next time I'm back there.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum