BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Battery Warning light glow Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Hello again.

I noticed something a little odd the other morning (first dark morning commute of the year)

When riding under moderate revs (2,500 up) the battery light on the dash gives off a faint glow. Definitely not coming on, just a gentle glow.

any ideas why this would be?
could over-charging of the battery be causing a negative potential difference, thus sending current the wrong direction through the bulb and therefore lighting it up, suggesting voltage regulator problems?

has anyone else had this?

2Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Re: Battery Warning light glow Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:33 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
This is common on Ks especially if you are using heated grips etc. Doesn't affect battery charging apparently. I had the same thing on the old Hillman Avenger rally car, tried a different alternator even, and it made no difference. As long as the voltage across the battery terminals is close to 14 volts with lights and grips on over 2500 revs it is OK.

3Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Re: Battery Warning light glow Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
great!
thanks!

First car I remember my dad having was a blue avenger back in dublin.. ah.. the memories!

4Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Re: Battery Warning light glow Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Re: Battery Warning light glow Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
brilliant, kinda thought it was caused by something like that.

I've had to install a diode on my VW bus for similar issues with tachometer 'wobble'

thanks again!

6Back to top Go down   Battery Warning light glow Empty Re: Battery Warning light glow Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:04 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mook,
As above they beat me to it that is a well known issue that causes many a rider a worry. Definitely worth whilst you are in the relay box putting in the diode (which would be my favourite spot for it) giving all the connectors a treatment with DeoxIT and finishing with DeoxIT Shield especially the big bunch of earths. I would not be surprised if the cable from the earths to the front where the grip current earths was a little on the thin side as well which could cause the voltage to rise.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum