BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Hii everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum (especially Martin & the other aussie K members), the info available here is quite staggering, to a total brick newbie like myself i dare say it’ll prove to be be invaluable. 

I thought I would kick off a rebuild thread here rather than forever extending the new member thread.

After pondering on a project bike for 2020 I was considering an early CB750, however I’ve always liked the look of the K and thought it may be a nice & (I hope) somewhat reliable alternative. As my usual ride is a boxer I also thought the laid-down 4 would be a change. 

I’ve had the K home for a week now after spotting her on the ‘net, she was destined to become another cafe racer or spares bike😱....I’ve always liked the look of the “standard” K100, so the plan will be to backdate her to that spec with an original appearance. The RS fairings were pretty knocked about, so I wasn’t really tempted to keep her that way. She’ll be kept as Madison Silver - I thought it was originally the solid silver tone, but was pleasantly suprised😀

Specs:

12/83 K100 RS
Madison Silver
Condition? Running....but rough. 

Anyhow, here’s the pics so far- 1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 48668810
Pickup day😀👍she made it onto the trailer under her own power too.👌

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 49aacb10
A nice surprise today - first aid kit, circa 1983

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 0db8b210
Manky fuel drained today, fuel pump & damper relatively intact I hope?🤞They’ll be both replaced anyhow, but I was happy not see a complete mess in there....

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s A8b6ef10

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Ab609310
Safely home. The side covers do exist, just off!

Over the next few months all fluids will be changed, components inspected & replaced as necessary, wiring sorted & then onto the bodywork. At least that’s the rough plan at this stage. 

Hope you all like. 

Regards

Dan

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Nice project, you did well with that clan tank. Looking forward to the build pics and story.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to see Dan
thanks for posting , great to see another oldie heading back to the roads

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've brought more than one old K back from the dead and one of the first things I always do is pull the fuel injectors and get them refurb'd.  Doing that, putting in new spark plugs (NGK D7EA) and synching the throttle bodies usually gets them running like a top.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/fis/fis.htm

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Arlina

Arlina
Running rough... Check the injectors.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Good idea to respect the genuine appearance of the K!
I'm also building a K100 racer using only parts that were available in the eighties, from BMW or aftermarket: Fallert seat, Recchia (French BMW dealer) exhaust, ABR footpegs, telefix fork brace, Ohlins shock...

7Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty Step one.... Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for all the positive comments people.

Step one: reading material....$10 off fleaBay. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 2e2dee10

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Cool another  Brisbane rider   or have I all ready said that  ?  

Anyway best of luck with the bike there is quite a few Brisbane people on here if you need a hand  

I have used the  Truck Bull Bar Wash  from Bunnings to clean out  the varnish from a few tanks 

it even cleans out the black goo for the pump ring if it has gone bad  

What side of Brisbane are you from ?

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Matthew-Brisbane wrote:Cool another  Brisbane rider   or have I all ready said that  ?  

Anyway best of luck with the bike there is quite a few Brisbane people on here if you need a hand  

I have used the  Truck Bull Bar Wash  from Bunnings to clean out  the varnish from a few tanks 

it even cleans out the black goo for the pump ring if it has gone bad  

What side of Brisbane are you from ?
Thanks Mate, looks like the tank & pump have been done some time in her past, luckily not too grubby. I have bought some submersible fuel hose to replace the intank hoses though. 

Brisbane Northside, Stafford area. 

Another purchase arrived today:D(it’s for a slightly later K I know, but was a dirt cheap pickup off fleaBay)

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 6627c410

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
When you get to the tune up stage give me yell. I have a set of vacuum gauges and a exhaust gas analyser. I also have a good selection of specialized BM tools. If you ever need more submersible hose try 
http://www.motorsportaccessories.com.au/ in Brendale around $17.00 a metre if you become a member. They also stock the correct size EFI hose clips. Membership is free. 

Bunnings stock K-Flex hose insulation approx $5.00 a metre which is a worthwhile addition to external hoses especially in QLD. It is a tight fit and requires a liberal dose of talcum powder to slide it on.
Regards Martin.

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
MartinW wrote:When you get to the tune up stage give me yell. I have a set of vacuum gauges and a exhaust gas analyser. I also have a good selection of specialized BM tools. If you ever need more submersible hose try 
http://www.motorsportaccessories.com.au/ in Brendale around $17.00 a metre if you become a member. They also stock the correct size EFI hose clips. Membership is free. 

Bunnings stock K-Flex hose insulation approx $5.00 a metre which is a worthwhile addition to external hoses especially in QLD. It is a tight fit and requires a liberal dose of talcum powder to slide it on.
Regards Martin.
Great tips, thanks. Yup - that’s where I got the hose😉👍cheapest around I found, by far.

I’ll definitely book you in for the tune up, hopefully by the time the cool(er) months roll around!

Boofhead

Boofhead
It must be a Qld thing 😂. The refurb on my K100 RS has just begun, same colour. On the to do list so far is fork seals, rear main seal, new clutch, check all rubber, replace all fluids and the other typical service requirements. Hopefully on the road before Christmas, anyone in for a SE Qld meetup?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might be heading up to near brissy  next week somewhere about 20th -21st  ....parts arriving on time  that is ...fingers crossed

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty 1983 k 100 Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Ian Drinky

Ian Drinky
Hi Standard K 
From one standard to another Hi.
I have a 1983 K 100 stock as a rock and found the first aid kit under the seat as well. 
I am located on the south side of Brisbane in Salisbury. 
The biggest problem I have had was the fuel regulator decided to shit it self and unfortunately I was in Longreach, Thank god for RACQ gold cover. 

Would love to hear from anyone that can help me balance the carbies please. 

Regards

Ian

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Ian  
Im just up the rode at Tarragindi 

MartinW  has a the balance and gas analyser 

There quite a few of us that ride together  
Mick ( Blue K100 1984 )  is up for a tune up soon and we may be doing it at my place in the new year if we can organise it

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Ian Drinky wrote:
Would love to hear from anyone that can help me balance the carbies  affraid throttle bodies Smile please. 

Regards

Ian
The good thing is that there is usually someone ready and willing to help. 
santa rendeer

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Ian tune up is not a problem as I have all the gear, just coordinate with Matt and Mick67. Before doing the tune up it pays to check your valve clearance, status of the "Z" hose and status of the throttle body vacuum caps.
Regards Martin.

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Ian Drinky wrote:Hi Standard K 
From one standard to another Hi.
I have a 1983 K 100 stock as a rock and found the first aid kit under the seat as well. 
I am located on the south side of Brisbane in Salisbury. 
The biggest problem I have had was the fuel regulator decided to shit it self and unfortunately I was in Longreach, Thank god for RACQ gold cover. 

Would love to hear from anyone that can help me balance the carbies please. 

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian, I am but a Standard-wannabe at this stage....although I have now managed to acquire (as of today) a standard headlight assembly & the radiator cowls.  cheers

Would LOVE some allover pics of your bike & also the radiator cowl attachment points!

19Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty A Little work done - test fitting Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:17 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Couple of hours spent today removing RS brackets etc to fit the Standard radiator cowl, did a quick mock up of the desired look (minus side panels), gave her a new set of plugs & fired her up. Plugs removed were D8EA? As expected the plugs were pretty wet, I will probably pull the injectors over the next week or two. 

Pretty happy with the backdated StandardK! bounce

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 6a7e0b10

20Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty Little update Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:21 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
A few leisurely hours spent this morning on the K, I managed to strip off the tank, rear cowl and other bits & pieces. The wiring looks pretty much untouched & not butchered, however there’s a little surface corrosion on the frame underneath the tank (due to the heat-proofing absorbing moisture) I’ll have to tidy up. 

The Z-hose was that loose & barely hanging on it popped off in my hand, not really surprised now why it was idling rough! 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 6a8f7010

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
G'Day Dan,

Good to catch up at the workshop day (nearly said hook up...but it means something different now!!)

As your Z hose was perished, will be a good idea to check/replace vacuum line to FPR  - comes of take off valve closest to seat end of rail and follows fuel line from end of rail to FPR behind lower half of air box. You may also have a 'pressure switch' behind the throttle bodies - pre 4/85. A vacuum line from this follows the fuel return line around to the front of the throttle body - would be good to replace this as well.

Let us know if you need a hand...is a fiddly tight space....I am not far away from you...and have just been schooled by master Martin on the procedure.

Cheers

Mick

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Cheers Mick - yes, pretty sure the switch is there all right. I will most likely annoy you when I’m in that area at some stage:lol:

Regards

Dan

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
I certainly won’t be boring everyone with pics of every single bit & piece cleaned up, but I thought I’d kick off proceedings with the very first bit, namely lower airbox.

Before:
1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s E705ea10

After:

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s C1192910

After 30+ years of filth & a fossilised Huntsman spider were removed with soapy water the silver overspray was removed with lacquer thinners, then cleaned with Meguiars paint cleaner, followed by an interior detailer. The snorkel grommet was removed, cleaned and hit with the detailer. Surprisingly it became somewhat supple again.

Regards

Dan

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to see Dan

25Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty The quasi-resto continues... Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Motor degreased & cleaned up somewhat of 35+ years of road muck & oil misting out of the split Z pipe.

Before:

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 81725b10

After:

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s E08d4610

Lots more cleaning & steelwool+sunlight soap treatment to come! 

Smallest reg brush measured up at 6mm, so new ones to go in I think. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Ac8a4510

The dreaded Monkey’s Nuts were in surprisingly good nick. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s C6b1b310

Also managed to clean up the corrosion under the tank (caused by the heat absorption matting) and was happy to find nothing serious at all, just some light pitting. Sealed off what little corrosion there was with rust convertor, and will be touching up the frame to freshen it up.

26Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty Next update Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Slid the box back today to inspect the clutch, as I knew that it would be in the back of my mind if I DIDN’T have a look...I already had the Alt & Starter out anyway. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 4e9c6f10

Glad to see clean splines (albeit dry), they appeared to be in pretty good nick too. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 4c666a10

Ah! That’s better. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Ed13ee10

Now it’s onto the cleaning phase, and inspecting & replacing as she goes back together. Still enjoying it! 

Regards

Dan

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
It's amazing what a little lube can do in life.

28Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty Little update Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:08 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
The quasi-resto continues, the cleaning phase is now pretty much done, and now nice new shiny parts to fit. New fuel & vacuum lines & plugs are fitted, the odd bit of dodgy wiring fixed & cleaned most earthing points. 

The stand assembly was totally stripped down, and seemed to be in pretty good shape, no excessive wear or corrosion.  Amazing how nice & free they are after a bit of love. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 2a7c3a10

The nasty road rash was able to be mostly removed from the lower crank cover by a sanding block & different grades of wet & dry, it took several hours to leave it as a brushed alloy look, much better than the rash (I hope) 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 62844410

I pulled the starter down for inspection & clean, alas the brushes were shot & the insulator where the positive pole comes through was broken! Shocked

Radiator & airbox on next, then onto the headset bearings. 

Regards

Dan

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
Looks Great Dan...it'll go for another 35 years when you are finished.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Both stands and the clutch arm will benefit by fitting grease nipples.
Regards Martin.
1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Clutch19

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I am always amazed at how nicely these beasts respond to a little TLC. 

Nice job!

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for the kind comments gents. Good idea Martin - I did grease the clutch & stand pivots, but that’s a more permanent solution, next time...

Regards

Dan

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looking great Dan

a fabulous project

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Re: Motorsport Accessories Brisbane

I have tried to register and join via their website. No Joy. To quote one of the staff "the website is an absolute disaster... should be right in 3-4 weeks (end of Feb 2020)"

So 

1. Call the number: 07 3881 2694 
  2. Have all the details ready (ie 5/16" SUBMERSIBLE IN-TANK FUEL INJECTION LINE HOSE SAE30R10)
  3. You will be entered by the staff member into their membership register.
  4. Card details over the phone
  5. Package will be posted.

$17.60 pm (I bought 2m) plus postage $7.68.

GF

Question: your motor has come up very nicely. Just to comfirm, what did you use?

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
They also have the packs of the correct size EFI hose clips to suit the hose.
Regards Martin.

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Charlie - thanks mate, good to see your new beast is back on die strasse too. Tidy work indeed! 

GF - thanks, very time consuming....localised cleaning with kero & brush (avoiding rubber parts where possible), followed by the stainless steel wool and sunlight soap trick, then the residue hit with brakleen & then finally inox. Hopefully it’ll stay clean with just a wipe down in the future.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
You might want to have a look at this.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APW200-6B-Armor-All-Wheel-Protectant-200g/123181599687?epid=1310941925&hash=item1cae320bc7:g:7-YAAOSw1u5bHGmK I used to use it quite a few years ago to help with the cleaning of alloy wheels on a car. They required a lot of work until I started using this. I found a couple of cans in a cupboard recently and have been having trouble with crap over my rear wheel. So after having a rear tyre fitted I cleaned the wheel and gave it a spray from what I can remember it does need to be reapplied occasionally. I see how it goes.
Regards Martin.

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
MartinW wrote:You might want to have a look at this.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APW200-6B-Armor-All-Wheel-Protectant-200g/123181599687?epid=1310941925&hash=item1cae320bc7:g:7-YAAOSw1u5bHGmK I used to use it quite a few years ago to help with the cleaning of alloy wheels on a car. They required a lot of work until I started using this. I found a couple of cans in a cupboard recently and have been having trouble with crap over my rear wheel. So after having a rear tyre fitted I cleaned the wheel and gave it a spray from what I can remember it does need to be reapplied occasionally. I see how it goes.
Regards Martin.
Ok thanks - might give it a go.

39Back to top Go down   1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Empty Next update - Water Pump overhaul Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
The one item I thought I might get out of doing until she was up & running again was the pump seal - of course the minute she had a belly of nice new coolant there was a fresh green drip under the weep hole the next day...Rolling Eyes I KNEW it would end up biting me, better now then later of course. 

Anyhow, after reading all the relevant posts on the seal & shaft installation I decided to go down a different path when re-installing the shaft past the new seal (the older nut-style shaft was reused) I wasn’t overly comfortable with using the seal as leverage to pull the shaft through (as per the usual method) so instead I made up a flat bar device which was bolted across the face of the pump using two pump cover hex bolts, with the new spacer and a few washers between the bar & seal face to support & apply a little pressure whilst the shaft passes through. I then pressed the shaft through from behind (the oil side) using a hex bit in the end of the shaft to press on. It seemed to work OK - just the last few mm of shaft were then pulled through using the seal (as per usual method) until the gear was flush with the housing. 1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 080a8010

Hopefully as there was little pressure on the seal throughout the process it’ll be fine, the theory being it hasn’t had to cop being fully compressed the whole time trying to draw the shaft through.

Oh, and when I dropped the filter pan this arvo to use my shiny new filter tool what should I find still attached to the old filter? Why, it’s a filter tool still stuck to it of course:shock:

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 31c42b10

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
StandardK wrote:Oh, and when I dropped the filter pan this arvo to use my shiny new filter tool what should I find still attached to the old filter? Why, it’s a filter tool still stuck to it of course:shock:
1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I also have an 83 RS that sat for a while but am now loving...it came with first aid kit, tool kit and more stuffed into it, plus quite a few scarce spares.

When it comes to some parts there are differences.

Fuel cap will be obvious if you have the push button one.

Less obvious, if you are going at the brakes....the early brake calipers use different size dust seals, pistons are different too. I will probably swap them for later calipers. Not sure when the change in pistons occurred as my 84 RT [32/84] has the larger ones.

Mine even came with the original slotted rear disc that missed the recall....it cracked as expected but I had been watching out for that. However the crack was sudden! Not sure about the master cylinders as I had some spares and just swapped them out.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:if you are going at the brakes....the early brake calipers use different size dust seals, pistons are different too. I will probably swap them for later calipers. Not sure when the change in pistons occurred as my 84 RT [32/84] has the larger ones.

Mine even came with the original slotted rear disc that missed the recall....it cracked as expected but I had been watching out for that. However the crack was sudden! Not sure about the master cylinders as I had some spares and just swapped them out.

Hmm...I did buy rebuild kits for the calipers, I’ll have to have a closer look now. Fingers crossed they’re the right ones...

Yes - mine still has the slotted rear disc too. Will def keep an eye on it.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
There appear to be three types of caliper, extremely very early ones so when you ask for parts for early calipers they don't seem to cover the 83 ones.

The repair kits that arrived to me for early calipers fit the 84 ones but not the 83 ones. Later calipers I think 86 on take the wider sintered pads which have a 2mm wider backing plate so they don't fit in early calipers. 

You will love this RS when you have it on song!!!!! I did all my brakes, new pads etc on Saturday and wow did I love it yesterday. The rear tyre looks like a life of 5,000 miles at best, speaks for itself.

The wheels on mine suffered cosmetically so I decided on a repaint, in silver. However a pair came up that were freshly painted in satin black, for the same cost as painting. They were fitted instead with new BT45 tyres on and look really good and handle well.

A few things my PO did 
Braided brake lines. Essential.
Stainless steel mesh in the rad grille and belly pan. Nice detail.
Welded broken centre stand [I replaced the whole lot with a K1100 assembly]

Also, a few weeks ago, close inspection revealed very badly corroded rear brake pedal, a well known issue, due to salt etc. Got a brand new black one, looks good. Saturday I looked in my spares box and found a perfect brake pedal...doh.... but the black one looks nicer....and it was cheap.

I fitted a new exhaust heat shield last Saturday. As it happened I had both early and later ones. The early has 5 screws, the later 6 but side by side otherwise they are identical and I offered both up to be sure. You need footrest hanger unbolted and moved to one side a bit to get it in [3 for the hanger and 2 exhaust bolts]. I fitted the later one and you can put a nut and bolt in the spare hole in the later one to not look odd. This means a chrome one from the SE model will fit if you are that way inclined. The later ones are available brand new, early ones scarce. I have a new unused early one that's staying put for now.

Last edited by 92KK 84WW Olaf on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
StandardK wrote:Oh, and when I dropped the filter pan this arvo to use my shiny new filter tool what should I find still attached to the old filter? Why, it’s a filter tool still stuck to it of course:shock:

Excellent way to keep it from disappearing or rusting!!!

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:There appear to be three types of caliper, extremely very early ones so when you ask for parts for early calipers they don't seem to cover the 83

I fitted a new exhaust heat shield last Saturday. As it happened I had both early and later ones. The early has 5 screws, the later 6 but side by side otherwise they are identical and I offered both up to be sure. You need footrest hanger unbolted and moved to one side a bit to get it in [3 for the hanger and 2 exhaust bolts]. I fitted the later one and you can put a nut and bolt in the spare hole in the later one to not look odd. This means a chrome one from the SE model will fit if you are that way inclined. The later ones are available brand new, early ones scarce. I have a new unused early one that's staying put for now.

Mine’s a late ‘83 - Not sure if that makes any difference, watch this space....

Yes, 5 screws in mine, all the tabs appear intact by the looks, it needs a repaint but still looks quite solid.

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Point-Seven-five wrote:

Excellent way to keep it from disappearing or rusting!!!

To be honest, I can’t have seen it falling off, due to being covered in oil it was suctioned on. Maybe it was a “quick release” mod for the race scene...Laughing

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
StandardK wrote:
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:There appear to be three types of caliper, extremely very early ones so when you ask for parts for early calipers they don't seem to cover the 83

Mine’s a late ‘83 - Not sure if that makes any difference, watch this space....

Yes, 5 screws in mine, all the tabs appear intact by the looks, it needs a repaint but still looks quite solid.
If its still in place on the bike....lots and lots of heat on the bolts before you go at them with the Allen key!!!

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
On the heat shield, the front most fixing should have a rubber spacer under it.....you may get some smoke so go quickly.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:On the heat shield, the front most fixing should have a rubber spacer under it.....you may get some smoke so go quickly.
All good, the heatshield came straight off. One tab is broken, I may just stick a nut & bolt in there for appearances sake, prob not worth brazing in a new one until a few have let go?

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
All back together, teeny shroud bolts now coated in anti-seize... Hopefully the heatproof black will stay on the shroud for a while. 

1983 K100 RS Project - back to the 80’s Ed7bb010

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum