BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
When checking the spline lube situation I discovered I've a final drive pinion oil seal leak. Does anybody local either have the pinion oil seal ring tool for sale, hire or loan. Or failing that does anybody know where the tool  can be bought locally. I did think about making one but due to the force required I didn't want to make the situation worse by stuffing up the ring.
Regards Martin.

2Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Read this post and those following,Martin, for alternative tool ideas and outcomes.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch I've already tried to source spindle nut sockets online but they come up as a US item. I've taken all the measurements and it might be a case of manufacturing one. Off to the Trades Guild on Tuesday and I'll look into making one. Made a static wheel balancer on Friday because I couldn't get my rear tyre balanced locally.
Regards Martin.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I've taken all the measurements and it might be a case of manufacturing one. Off to the Trades Guild on Tuesday and I'll look into making one.
Regards Martin.
At that link there was a description of the successful use of a socket made from electrical conduit then welded to a conventional socket. Did you read that one?

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Laitch  it's given me a few ideas, and I'm sure between myself and the Guilds brains trust we can cobble together something.
Regards Martin.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The spring clip number 14 I think that retains the drive shaft is no longer functioning, and I'm not sure whether running without it is a good idea. They are still available.
Regards Martin. Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Drive_12

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I used a 42mm 3/4 drive socket and cut some tangs on it but have since had to return it to a socket to do wheel bearings on my X5

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick what's your thoughts on running without the spring clip.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Don't run without it because the bearing shaft can and will migrate. I've not seen it happen on a K, but I have seen it happen on a Guzzi.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

10Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:21 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
I ground slots, tangs in a piece of an old fork tube to fit the nut then welded a cheap socket in the other end. It worked great and caused no carnage to drive unit.

11Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
MartinW wrote:Thanks Rick what's your thoughts on running without the spring clip.
Don't

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required 112350

13Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Pretty sure Paul  aka Brickman has the tool your looking for

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

14Back to top Go down   Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Empty Re: Pinion Oil Seal Ring Tool Required Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:02 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Matt I have started making one and hopefully should have it done on Friday. Parts from Munich should be here tomorrow, They couldn't supply the boot so I'll clean and treat the old one. How's progress on the resurrection going?
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum