BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Starting issue Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Russell M

Russell M
Hey,
Have enjoyed the insight of users to the forum,has helped me with my 87 k100 lt. I went to start bike no starter .Checked relay, power is at relay and crosses when starter button is depressed but is not at starter. used contact cleaner to clean all relays in box.Had a new starter switch so I installed it. Started right up.Went out all's good. Took out bike three days later (rain and cold during those days) started up went to store go to leave bike won't start (same issue) . So I rolled down hill and jumped it. I want to test the load shedding relay .Any advice or ideas are welcome. Thanks russellM

2Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I doubt the load shedding relay will have any bearing on it but the starter brushes is where I would start looking. Many strange things happen when the brushes are worn out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah id recon dirty - worn starter brushes and commutater requiring a good clean

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:20 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
I found the starter motor difficult to remove so I made a tool to help.

Basically, some 6mm round solid bent into a V, then in a vice bend the ends over into a 90 degree angle. Ends go into the starter motor bolt holes and a large screwdriver levers the back of the V to drag it out.

5-10 mins to make. Have used it on a few bikes

GF

5Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty No go Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I had a problem recently similar to this, there was power at the starter motor but the but it didn't turn with the start button pressed. The brushes were worn. 

If there is power from the starter relay but not at the starter, look at the cable or it's connections.

Last edited by daveyson on Thu May 14, 2020 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total

6Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:53 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The starters have been known to corrode into the housing, requiring a bit of force to extract them. A smear of Kopper Kote around the starter where it goes into the housing will help prevent future extraction problems.
Regards Martin.

7Back to top Go down   Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Russell M

Russell M
Thanks I started to remove starter today.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum