BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Decided to rewire my K100RT Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Since I got my K bike, I have had issues that are documented elsewhere on this site. 
Most of the issues are Electrical, so I have decided to rewire the bike, I have bought an M-Unit Blue and I have an M-lock to replace the Ignition key. I am just trying to decide on how many switches I need, due to the problems with the Neutral and Gear indicator on a rewire, I am looking at using the OEM gear indicator. I will make a box to hold the circuitboard and put a clear lens over the display to keep it waterproof. I have auxiliary spotlights wire to a switch on the handlebars, I am looking at using the Hazard switch to power the lights as the M-unit handles the hazard lights. I am thinking about using the current switch as a kill switch similar to the way a car can have power cut to the ignition circuit. I don't want to chop or customise the bike other than to update the electrics. I am buying the parts as funds become available, so this will take some time. I will also replace the dash with a Koso unit. Any sensible ideas are welcome otherwise I will keep you all updated with the progress with photos of the before during and after.

2Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:39 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
My own top two tips:

Study the K wiring diagram 'til you're completely familiar with it. Yep there'a a lot of wires, but none of the individual circuits are complicated if you break it down.

If it suits, lose the parking-light-via-the-ignition-key circuit completely. It's a heck of a lot of wiring and complication and no-one in the history of biking has ever needed to leave the parking lights on with the bike unattended.

3Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:02 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:If it suits, lose the parking-light-via-the-ignition-key circuit completely. It's a heck of a lot of wiring and complication and no-one in the history of biking has ever needed to leave the parking lights on with the bike unattended.

What he said. The parking light thing is also a good way to inadvertently run down your battery if you accidentally pull the key out in that position and walk away. DAMHIK Embarassed

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I have been studying the wiring diagram since I got the bike, the original wiring was a mess and needed work to rectify some Gremlins.

I have a couple of wiring looms and I have stripped one down removing some unnecessary wires, Do these remaining wires look right? 
One is the wiring for the Gear indicator.
One is from the Alternator to the Battery and starter relay and charge light. 
One is from the Ignition module and one I am not sure about.
Decided to rewire my K100RT Itix2v10
Decided to rewire my K100RT Qbveao10
Decided to rewire my K100RT Hwgxly10

5Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The black rectangular one is for the brake, tail and rear turn lights. It mounts to the back of the black "wedge" under the tail cowl.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Today I decided to get started on the rewiring, I have most of the parts needed. I took the fairing off and found the mounting bracket is moving around slightly, it may also be bent.
I needed to replace the wires to the Lunchbox.
Decided to rewire my K100RT Img_0010
When I bought the bike I had to reconnect these wires to get the speedometer to work and the oil light to stay off.
I bought some new plugs and new wiring to replace these, I also found that there was a wiring fault under the tank, the previous owner had spent almost £200, to diagnose a fault, they only snipped a write for the high / low beam flasher. I found that they had not correctly replaced the wiring, I repaired the wiring and everything was working.

Decided to rewire my K100RT Img_0014
You can see the temporary repairs that got the bike running. As I found the cause for the underlying faults and got them fixed I found that the bike needs a complete rewire.

7Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I took everything apart but left it on the motorcycle, as I am only removing the wires that I have for replacement. I am in the middle of removing the unwanted wiring.
Decided to rewire my K100RT Img_0015
I removed all the relays that I know will be replaced by the M-unit and I am tracing the wiring to the starter relay and the Temperature sensing switch unit, As these will remain in the circuit. 

Decided to rewire my K100RT Img_0016

8Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I kept the Injection wiring connected to everything on the bike and am Tracing all the plugs for the tank and Gear selector. I want to keep the bike as original looking as possible, as I removed the rear of the bike I found the rear frame needs some love.
Decided to rewire my K100RT Img_0018
I need to find some rust remover and primer to save the frame.

9Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:00 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That's not as bad as it looks. Mostly surface rust. The best approach is to remove the rust using an angle grinder with a coarse sanding disc followed by a drill with a wire wheel to get the parts the grinder couldn't, then coat with KureRust or similar, followed by an enamel topcoat. Don't use Hammershite because it won't last under there.

What is nasty - and is going to take time, effort and a welder - are the two brackets that hold the mudguard and z-bars on at the rear. They're toast. You're going to have to cut them off and make new ones. This is what I did:

Made four pieces instead of two

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020387m.jpg

Used the mudguard clamp as a spacer

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020388m.jpg

Welded them on

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020391m.jpg

Used a piece of threaded bar to locate the z-bar brackets and pulled them up tight to the new mudguard brackets with tywraps

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020395m.jpg

Job done, still in use

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020397m.jpg

I had 25mm x 3mm flat bar to hand, but 25mm x 2mm will do just as well.

KureRust

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020402m.jpg

followed by brushed enamel

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/lfbfix/p1020407m.jpg

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

10Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I have refitted the top fairing with the cleaned headlight and run the new wiring wiring, I have also replaced the wiring for the oil warning light. I had to drill out the old mounts for the battery box, so I carefully weakened the dome head then used a chisel to break the heads off.
I also found that the alternator wiring was full of the green crusties so I was not getting an ideal charge when at high speeds, I had difficulty pulling the plug off but as I have a couple of spares, I ordered an alternator plug off eBay, it had tree terminals but as I only needed the large connectors, I now have new wiring for that as well. I forgot my camera, my phone battery died, I will take some more update photos next time I am working in the garage.Decided to rewire my K100RT Unadju10
This is how the plugs were when I bought the bike.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum