BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
Hi All,

I recently picked up a k1100 center stand to replace my broken k100 stand. It does seem like a better design but when I got  it installed, I ran into a couple problems. when I take the bike off the stand, it swings back and hits the side stand. If i push the side stand down and out of the way, the center stand stows in a position where it touches the rear tire. Can any of you more experienced guys see any problems in these pictures?

Best,
TJK100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1912
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1910
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1911


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

2Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
That center stand was a simple swap on my K75RT when I did 5 years ago.  Took off the old one and put on the new, complete with bracket.  Except for the center stand itself, all the rest of the parts are the same.

Did you swap the whole thing, or just the centerstands?  Is the sidestand the original, or is it part of the new assembly?

The side stand is on a bushing that can wear.  It can also be bent.  I would check that to see if that is the reason it gets in the way.

The bracket has washers that space it from the transmission.  I can't remember if I used them on my bike or not, but that is something else to check. 

Do you have the rubber bumper that the spaces the stands from the muffler? 

Is the rear wheel spacer installed?  Where does the stand contact the tire?


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1991 K100RS


Past:
1988 K100RS SE
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

3Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
Interesting. I only swapped the stand itself. The side stand and bracket are original to the bike. The bushings are in great shape but ill check to see if its bent. 

I didnt see any bracket washers and the muffler bumper is also missing. I'll need to get one of those no matter what so it stops bashing the stainless steel. 

the wheel spacer is installed but it would only push the wheel further into  the stand. Heres a picture of the tire contact:K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1913


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

4Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 am

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
On my recently acquired 1100LT I noticed 4 bushes fitted between the centre stand bracket and the transmission. Part no 20 in the drawing below. These bushes are not fitted to my K1, K100 16V or K1100RS. The drawing shows them as washers but mine had bushes approx. 1cm thick. Fitting these might help.



K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Centre10


__________________________________________________
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Ir-log10

   ;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles
    

5Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:21 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:On my recently acquired 1100LT I noticed 4 bushes fitted between the centre stand bracket and the transmission. Part no 20 in the drawing below. These bushes are not fitted to my K1, K100 16V or K1100RS. The drawing shows them as washers but mine had bushes approx. 1cm thick. Fitting these might help.



K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Centre10
I have K1100LT and also 84 K100RT and 83 K100RS. I have put the K1100 complete assemblies on both the K100 hich have stock exhausts....BUT I don't have the bushings on any of them, just those washers installed. If I did the rear wheel would be much too high off the ground. I have a towbar fitted and it mounts under the assembly. I also have 140/70/17 rear tyres BT45/46 on all. Somewhere I have an idea that you needed to swap the complete assembly which is what I did and is a very simple swap.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

6Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:On my recently acquired 1100LT I noticed 4 bushes fitted between the centre stand bracket and the transmission. Part no 20 in the drawing below. These bushes are not fitted to my K1, K100 16V or K1100RS. The drawing shows them as washers but mine had bushes approx. 1cm thick. Fitting these might help.

Take another look at the parts listing below the diagram.  For other classic Ks part 20 is listed as a washer but for a K1100LT it's listed as a bush - part 46522312703 - and as you pointed out they are only used on the K1100LT:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=0536-USA-08-1994-89V2-BMW-K_1100_LT_0526,_0536_&mg=46&sg=52&diagId=46_0114&q=46522312703


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

7Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:25 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I'm surprised that the center stand hits the tire on your K100.

From the picture it looks like you're running the 2.75x17 y-spoke wheel and probably a 130/90-17 tire, correct?

I run the 3x17 3-spoke rear wheel on my 2V Ks with a 150/70-17 tire. (And the hub spacer ring.) The K1100 center stand is VERY close to contacting the tire (only a mm or two) but still clears.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

8Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
duck wrote:I'm surprised that the center stand hits the tire on your K100.

From the picture it looks like you're running the 2.75x17 y-spoke wheel and probably a 130/90-17 tire, correct?

I run the 3x17 3-spoke rear wheel on my 2V Ks with a 150/70-17 tire. (And the hub spacer ring.) The K1100 center stand is VERY close to contacting the tire (only a mm or two) but still clears.

Hi Duck,

Thats correct about the wheel and tire. I should note that it only hits the tire on the left side of the bike. On the swingarm side, there is plenty of tire clearance. 

I looked for the spaces that @Ringfad mentioned but I dont have them. My bike sits pretty high off the ground with this stand even without the spacers. 

I wonder if there is a way to host videos here. I'd like to show you guys a better view.


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

9Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Tjsunny2 wrote:I wonder if there is a way to host videos here. I'd like to show you guys a better view.
Post a video to YouTube then post its URL here.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75 81,000 miles
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Usa-lo10
    

10Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:36 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Here's some pictures I just took that you may or may not find useful:

Very little clearance - K1100 center stand on a 91 K75S - center stand BARELY clears the 150/70-17 tire:

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap A6yYJDg


The K1100RS has a 4.5x18 rear wheel with a 160/60-18 tire.  The center stand bumper/absorber on the exhaust (18121451996) pushes the center stand down far enough so that the left center stand foot is in front of the tire when up/retracted.

Absorber:

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap 6KLoadH

From behind:
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap GYm8Yj8

From above: (hard to get the camera to focus well but this should give you an idea)
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap LRc7Wvq


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

11Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:47 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Random musing: One option to get some clearance might be to grind down the inside of the left center stand foot by a couple of MMs.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

12Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
2 other thoughts......

Very ovalised eyes in the K1100 centre stand resulting in play or slop.

Or extra spacer between the wheel and final drive.


But I am not convinced a stand only is the correct option, still think it was to be mounting plate too.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

13Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
Thank you all for all the great ideas!!! I really do appreciate the support. Thanks for the pictures too duck. It looks like the stand is supposed to be close to the tire on that side. 

I think I'm going to loosen the four bracket bolts and see if I can shift the stand in its holes. It might gain me a couple MMs. If that doesnt work, I'll give it a grind. That will solve the center stand-tire problem.

The other issue is the center stand-side stand issue. After studying the side stand, I noticed a little kink right below the springs (see pics below). Would one of you be able to confirm if the side stand is supposed to have this or is the leg supposed to be perfectly straight?

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1914
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1915


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

14Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Has your bike been lowered with a shortened rear shock?  What is the eye to eye measurement?  Not sure, but that may have some bearing on the issue.  It will definitely put the rear wheel higher off the ground when up on the center stand.  It will also have placed the wheel and tire in a different relationship with the stand as well. 

Shortening the shock hasn't affected wheel/stand clearance on my bike, but without the bumper it's hard to say what the effect would be on your bike.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1991 K100RS


Past:
1988 K100RS SE
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

15Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Has your bike been lowered with a shortened rear shock?  What is the eye to eye measurement?  Not sure, but that may have some bearing on the issue.  It will definitely put the rear wheel higher off the ground when up on the center stand.  It will also have placed the wheel and tire in a different relationship with the stand as well. 

Shortening the shock hasn't affected wheel/stand clearance on my bike, but without the bumper it's hard to say what the effect would be on your bike.

It has a Works Performance shock on it. Not sure if these came stock from BMW. 

Looks like its about 13.75" eye to eye. I'm going to try to rig some kind of bumper till I can get my hands on a real one


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

16Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:36 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Tjsunny2 wrote:Thank you all for all the great ideas!!! I really do appreciate the support. Thanks for the pictures too duck. It looks like the stand is supposed to be close to the tire on that side. 

I think I'm going to loosen the four bracket bolts and see if I can shift the stand in its holes. It might gain me a couple MMs. If that doesnt work, I'll give it a grind. That will solve the center stand-tire problem.

The other issue is the center stand-side stand issue. After studying the side stand, I noticed a little kink right below the springs (see pics below). Would one of you be able to confirm if the side stand is supposed to have this or is the leg supposed to be perfectly straight?

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1914
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1915

Yes, there is supposed to be a very slight bend below the spring attachment.  Here's what a brand new side stand looks like.

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap CX5NhrG


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

17Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Has your bike been lowered with a shortened rear shock?  What is the eye to eye measurement?  Not sure, but that may have some bearing on the issue.  It will definitely put the rear wheel higher off the ground when up on the center stand.  It will also have placed the wheel and tire in a different relationship with the stand as well. 

Shortening the shock hasn't affected wheel/stand clearance on my bike, but without the bumper it's hard to say what the effect would be on your bike.

A different length shock does not move the tire sideways.  It will still travel up and down in the same vertical plane.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

18Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
duck wrote:
Tjsunny2 wrote:Thank you all for all the great ideas!!! I really do appreciate the support. Thanks for the pictures too duck. It looks like the stand is supposed to be close to the tire on that side. 

I think I'm going to loosen the four bracket bolts and see if I can shift the stand in its holes. It might gain me a couple MMs. If that doesnt work, I'll give it a grind. That will solve the center stand-tire problem.

The other issue is the center stand-side stand issue. After studying the side stand, I noticed a little kink right below the springs (see pics below). Would one of you be able to confirm if the side stand is supposed to have this or is the leg supposed to be perfectly straight?

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1914
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Img_1915

Yes, there is supposed to be a very slight bend below the spring attachment.  Here's what a brand new side stand looks like.

K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap CX5NhrG


Nuts I was hoping I was on to something there


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

19Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:2 other thoughts......

Very ovalised eyes in the K1100 centre stand resulting in play or slop.

Or extra spacer between the wheel and final drive.


But I am not convinced a stand only is the correct option, still think it was to be mounting plate too.

The new bushing that came with the K1100 stand are nice and tight. The side stand, however, is a but loose when stowed. For whatever reason I cant get the center stand to swing past it no matter where I push the side stand though.


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

20Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
If the side stand has too much slop it can be reduced a couple of ways. Sometimes the fork at the end of the stand spreads. It can be squeezed up slightly in a good vice or press. Go easy with the squeezing otherwise it won't fit. Washers can also be slipped in to take up the slop. The pivot pin can wear and needs to be replaced. The more slop at the pivot the greater movement at the foot.
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

21Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Tjsunny2

Tjsunny2
active member
active member
Update:

I ended up grinding the center stand for tire clearance and I bought a used K1100 side stand and all is well. Now I just have to rig up some type of rubber bumper or spring for the BMW one.

Thanks for the help everyone!


__________________________________________________
Early 1985 K100 RS being restored into a K100 Standard
    

22Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:24 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
If you have added a K1100 centre stand to the K100 Base I believe the K100 has a different centrestand stop, as the K100 legs are rounded and the stop is further forward than it is on the K1100 base. You may experience greater difficulty lifting it off the stand as a result.


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

23Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:39 am

88

88
Life time member
Life time member
I di dthat conversion on my K100 LT. I deliberately left out the spacers from the K1100 as I was using a lower profile Pirelli Sport demon. the clearance was small maybe 3 mm or so but did not rub.

Three things I suggest.

1.Check you have the right spacer behind your real wheel
2. Make sure all the stand bushings are in good condition
3. Just grind a bit off if everything else ok. Lots of people on the forum have done it to fit the wider K1100 rear wheel.


__________________________________________________
K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Ir-log1188....May contain nuts!K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Ir-log11

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K1/RS - AKA Titan (unique hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
    

24Back to top Go down   K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Empty Re: K100>k1100 Center Stand Swap Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:06 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
K75cster wrote:If you have added a K1100 centre stand to the K100 Base I believe the K100 has a different centrestand stop, as the K100 legs are rounded and the stop is further forward than it is on the K1100 base. You may experience greater difficulty lifting it off the stand as a result.
Looking at my K100RT and K1100LT they both have K1100 stand assemblies. A thing I noticed after I fitted one on my K100RS I had some difficulty getting it up on the centre stand...today I realised the cause. On the K100 original stand, it retracts more. The K1100 stand...the legs of the stand are hanging down much lower after its retracted.


K75cster mentioned the stop and I suspect that's the cause of this- the stand is retracting too far if you keep the original mounting plate. I have only ever changed complete assemblies, so much easier.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum