BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

StokerPasser

Hi.
Had problems with the instruments.
Renewal of the connector solved the errors.

RS
12way straight header tin single row
RS Stock No. 509-1708
URL.
Straight header

Crimp terminal
RS Stock No. 509-1994
URL.
Crimp terminal

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Michael,
The problem is usually a symptom of moisture getting in to the cluster so if you had that and have fixed it with a new plug and socket consider sealing the cluster as discussed elsewhere on the site or it may come back and affect other bits of the cluster.
Regards,
K-BIKE

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for that, been looking for a replacement part for some time!!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Connector for the instruments K75 + K100  Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Has anyone purchased these?

You can only get the connectors in packs of 10 and the crimp terminals in packs of 100 coming to around $50AUD.

If anyone has bought the kit id like to buy some of your spares.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It looks like they've introduced a minimum quantity because I did order (and receive) just thirty crimp terminals earlier this year. If you follow through with this, I need to add a warning: you must have the correct crimp tool. There's no room for error because the finished crimp only just fits the terminal block.

BTW: $50AUD is a lot less than I'd pay for them. They want $78.36AUD off me and I'm in the same country. It's called Value Added Tax - a real oxymoron if I've ever come across one.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:It looks like they've introduced a minimum quantity because I did order (and receive) just thirty crimp terminals earlier this year. If you follow through with this, I need to add a warning: you must have the correct crimp tool. There's no room for error because the finished crimp only just fits the terminal block.

BTW: $50AUD is a lot less than I'd pay for them. They want $78.36AUD off me and I'm in the same country. It's called Value Added Tax - a real oxymoron if I've ever come across one.

Cheers Dai, great input.

So did you cut the old connector off. solder on some longer wires and then add the crimp terminals to this?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
floyd wrote: the crimp terminals in packs of 100 coming to around $50AUD.

Single crimp contacts have BMW part # 61 13 1 459 104.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:Cheers Dai, great input.

So did you cut the old connector off. solder on some longer wires and then add the crimp terminals to this?
In my case the problem was old wires that were starting to crack where they went through near 90-degrees to enter the terminal block. I made a tool to pull all of the terminals out, then cut them off at the neck of the old crimp, stripped the wires back and put new terminals on. The 'tool' was simply a small electrician's screwdriver ground into a thin blade small enough to slide into the locking hole next to each individual terminal.

Soldering wires... please excuse and disregard the following 'lecture' if you already know what you're doing! Very Happy 22 or 23 wires (depending on the bike) are a lot of wires to extend. You need to start as far down the loom as possible and try to stagger each soldered joint to reduce the inevitable increase in loom diameter. At the same time, you also need to avoid any bends in the loom that will put pressure on the soldered joint. To actually join the wires I strip about 5mm off each end and then push the bare ends together so that they are intertwined (if you push the fingers on both hands together so that they slide in between each other you'll get the idea). This minimises the size of the final soldered joint. I insulate each joint with heatshrink, then cover the whole lot with PVC sleeving. Don't be tempted to cover everything with a heatshrink sleeve 'to hold everything in place' because heatshrink has no give in it, so it will crack and let water in. It will also stress the soldered joints - they need to be able to move relative to each other when you turn the bars.

Now you can crimp the terminals on!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

9Back to top Go down   Connector for the instruments K75 + K100  Empty Ordering soon Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Ok without the connectors I can't ride my k so I will be ordering a 100, anyone interested in a set at cost price, will not be buying the crimp tool but hope I can locate one locally (beg borrow) let me know if you would like a set, cheers Gary

1991 K100rs16v

10Back to top Go down   Connector for the instruments K75 + K100  Empty Ordered Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Placed the order with Rs online in Australia $24 free post.

1991 K100rs16v

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have a crimping tool for the spade connectors if it's any good.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Dai wrote: You need to start as far down the loom as possible and try to stagger each soldered joint to reduce the inevitable increase in loom diameter.
This is a good practice when soldering ANY wires. You always stagger the connections to avoid any shorts due a bad insulation. In the case of an extension cord or a wire that somebody could pull, it makes the connections stronger without being bulky. I always use shrink wrap around individual join.
Connector for the instruments K75 + K100  Epissu10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum