BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty First Post, lurker for 2 years Mon May 25, 2020 7:02 am

WingCapn

WingCapn
So, I have been a member of this forum since 2018, but this is my first introduction. I have been riding since my early teens, and got my big-boy license and finally got on the road a month after turning 24. I also ride a GS (i'm quite large), but am considering swapping that for an s1000xr 

On the subject of K100s I have been on and off butchering a pair of rather sorry K100LTs into a scramber-type-looking thing as a first project over the past couple of years. (please see below - one was a rather beaten high milage bike, the other had 6000 original miles and had then sat in a damp garage for over a decade. 

I've had a bit more time on my hands lately (funny that) so please enjoy some pictures of the franken-bike almost looking completed. 

First Post, lurker for 2 years GdO0iHP
First Post, lurker for 2 years WvGLOD7
First Post, lurker for 2 years 5lYzeD8
First Post, lurker for 2 years LsHNfiy
First Post, lurker for 2 years 2fazqCN

2Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Mon May 25, 2020 7:12 am

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome WingCapn Smile

3Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
First Post, lurker for 2 years 177912 from an ex-Dorset man.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Mon May 25, 2020 7:19 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
First Post, lurker for 2 years 177912 A very tidy looking bike  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Wed May 27, 2020 1:05 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Welkom Capn,  

Although you have chopped the sub frame, I do like the way you have kept the rear mudguard and "plonked" the rear lights and rego plate on top.  It fills in that part of the bike and to me looks more natural.  

One question though, I see you have placed the radiator fan in front of the radiator.  As the fan is used to extract heat from the rear of the radiator, I would expect that fan body will now restrict the amount of airflow through the radiator causing it to run hotter.  A bit confusing to me that you have done that.  

Apart from that when viewing from the side I quite like it.

6Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Wed May 27, 2020 12:12 pm

WingCapn

WingCapn
TacKler wrote:
One question though, I see you have placed the radiator fan in front of the radiator.  As the fan is used to extract heat from the rear of the radiator, I would expect that fan body will now restrict the amount of airflow through the radiator causing it to run hotter.  A bit confusing to me that you have done that.  

The fan was fitted to the donor bike when I bought it (it had been a London bike as probably fair bit of sitting stationary in the muggy summer). It works as a fan, so to be honest I kind of just ignored it - I'm not sure how it's been fixed and I don't want to swap radiators yet, as with my luck I'd end up f***ing up both... 

It's definitely one for the list, but higher on my priorities right now are finishing the wiring and then MOT and the rest - To be quite honest there is a whole lot more I could have done to it, but as a first project it's been a forgiving tinkerer! I just need it on the road now bounce and more can come later.

7Back to top Go down   First Post, lurker for 2 years Empty Re: First Post, lurker for 2 years Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:39 am

Life time member
Life time member
usually putting your head above the parapet gets you shot at but not on this forum. Welcome along - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum