BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
It's gonna be a hot one, like seven inches from the mid-day sun...

Don the mesh jacket, even if it is 18 years old, it'll keep one cool along with a faded pair of armoured riding jeans and mesh-back gloves. Pack a coupla bottles of water, a sweet red apple and some roasted almonds for the nibbling. I've no desire to stop in any roadside coffee shop or cafe - most open to some degree with outside seating or space between indoors. I'll create my own space. A tank full of premium - it'll only be about 250 miles in total. A day free from being stuck at home, no one needs me today. The roads are familiar but one never tires of them. The red K1300GT needs a good run after a fresh service, its tyres seem to know the way, so off we go.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200710
Near Eatonville, WA. A view from the west of Talol/Tacoma/Mt Rainier.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200711
Near Glenoma, WA. A slim view of Pahto/Klickitat/Mt Adams between the distant hills. For those who know or have riden NF-25 from the gas-stop town of Randle, the road is the usual craters full of potholes, dips and whoop-de-doos as in years past. It never seems to get repaired except when a land slide has taken a stretch out. It's hell n the suspension, even if its the excellent Duolever. I hit one at speed under the shade of the continuous canopy of trees that swallowed the entire length of the bike and left my kidneys in my chest for a few minutes. Did I slow down? Not much. The road darts and dives up, over and into the deep forest for twenty five or so miles and practically begs to be ridden fast - you just have to keep an eye or three open and dodge 'em as best you can.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200712
On fast, remote, excellent and twisty, tho' somewhat bumpy with occasional gravel strewn about in the blind corners to keep it even more interesting, National Forest road 99. The first view of Loowit/St Helens from the east.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200713
A look back at Mt Adams from the west on NF-99.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200714
A long look south down the Smith Creek valley towards the Columbia River Basin, the state of Oregon and Wy'east/Mt Hood somewhere out there.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200715
We round another bend on NF-99 to see St Helens hoving into view. Still nearly ten miles to go.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200716
The road wends its way about mid-point up the hillside in most places, smooth and narrow, but with surprisingly little traffic to interfere with a motorcyclist's leaning-into-it pleasure. Unscientifically, there seemed more Texas, Utah and Oregon number plates than Washington state.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200717
Thar she blows!
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200718
The camera says panorama but this view compresses the horizon to horizon view to a single frame, somewhat reducing the intensity of Spirit Lake, which sits 200' higher since the May, 1980 blow. Those are 40 year old giant, dead pine trees still floating in clusters like corks on the tide. The engineers hurriedly bored a 1.6 mile tunnel at the base of the adjoining hills to reduce the pressure of the water, slurry and logs so it wouldn't burst, potentially sending a second catastrophic wall of debris down the valley towards a dozen little bucolic burgs of civilisation.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200719
A coupla more bends in the road before we are upon Mt St Helens.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200720
But first, a distant glimpse of Oregon's Mt Hood.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200721
And a fresh look back at Mt Adams.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200722
The blast front on down to Spirit Lake at the base of the mountain, looking west from Windy Ridge.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200723
A view into the gob of the beast. The dome continues to rise inside the crater or caldera. It's above 900' feet and still smouldering, ready for the next exciting action at an indeterminate time in the future.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200724
One last obligatory bike as the actual scene when pretending to be casually just in the frame of the intended.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200725
One more can't hurt...
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200726
The view from my picnic spot. Ha, no, I didn't fall down the hill.

I spoke to no one and didn't miss the companionship. Plenty of riders waved or nodded along the way. It was a good day to be solo.

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:It's gonna be a hot one, like seven inches from the mid-day sun...

Don the mesh jacket, even if it is 18 years old, it'll keep one cool along with a faded pair of armoured riding jeans and mesh-back gloves. Pack a coupla bottles of water, a sweet red apple and some roasted almonds for the nibbling. I've no desire to stop in any roadside coffee shop or cafe - most open to some degree with outside seating or space between indoors. I'll create my own space. A tank full of premium - it'll only be about 250 miles in total. A day free from being stuck at home, no one needs me today. The roads are familiar but one never tires of them. The red K1300GT needs a good run after a fresh service, its tyres seem to know the way, so off we go.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200710
Near Eatonville, WA. A view from the west of Talol/Tacoma/Mt Rainier.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200711
Near Glenoma, WA. A slim view of Pahto/Klickitat/Mt Adams between the distant hills. For those who know or have riden NF-25 from the gas-stop town of Randle, the road is the usual craters full of potholes, dips and whoop-de-doos as in years past. It never seems to get repaired except when a land slide has taken a stretch out. It's hell n the suspension, even if its the excellent Duolever. I hit one at speed under the shade of the continuous canopy of trees that swallowed the entire length of the bike and left my kidneys in my chest for a few minutes. Did I slow down? Not much. The road darts and dives up, over and into the deep forest for twenty five or so miles and practically begs to be ridden fast - you just have to keep an eye or three open and dodge 'em as best you can.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200712
On fast, remote, excellent and twisty, tho' somewhat bumpy with occasional gravel strewn about in the blind corners to keep it even more interesting, National Forest road 99. The first view of Loowit/St Helens from the east.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200713
A look back at Mt Adams from the west on NF-99.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200714
A long look south down the Smith Creek valley towards the Columbia River Basin, the state of Oregon and Wy'east/Mt Hood somewhere out there.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200715
We round another bend on NF-99 to see St Helens hoving into view. Still nearly ten miles to go.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200716
The road wends its way about mid-point up the hillside in most places, smooth and narrow, but with surprisingly little traffic to interfere with a motorcyclist's leaning-into-it pleasure. Unscientifically, there seemed more Texas, Utah and Oregon number plates than Washington state.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200717
Thar she blows!
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200718
The camera says panorama but this view compresses the horizon to horizon view to a single frame, somewhat reducing the intensity of Spirit Lake, which sits 200' higher since the May, 1980 blow. Those are 40 year old giant, dead pine trees still floating in clusters like corks on the tide. The engineers hurriedly bored a 1.6 mile tunnel at the base of the adjoining hills to reduce the pressure of the water, slurry and logs so it wouldn't burst, potentially sending a second catastrophic wall of debris down the valley towards a dozen little bucolic burgs of civilisation.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200719
A coupla more bends in the road before we are upon Mt St Helens.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200720
But first, a distant glimpse of Oregon's Mt Hood.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200721
And a fresh look back at Mt Adams.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200722
The blast front on down to Spirit Lake at the base of the mountain, looking west from Windy Ridge.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200723
A view into the gob of the beast. The dome continues to rise inside the crater or caldera. It's above 900' feet and still smouldering, ready for the next exciting action at an indeterminate time in the future.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200724
One last obligatory bike as the actual scene when pretending to be casually just in the frame of the intended.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200725
One more can't hurt...
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200726
The view from my picnic spot. Ha, no, I didn't fall down the hill.

I spoke to no one and didn't miss the companionship. Plenty of riders waved or nodded along the way. It was a good day to be solo.

A most excellent post.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Stunning scenery, what a delightful looking part of the world. 

Regards

Dan

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Great scenery and ride.
Regards Martin.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Tahnks, TWB! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Glad you liked my notes and piccies. It is a fun ride to a beaut spot and anyone who visits the area oughta head out thataway. I'l show you the way, you can even borrow a K bike from me - once this game changer changes its game, that is.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The ride to Windy Ridge two weeks ago was a bit of a reccie to see whether the road surfaces going in, traditionally quite crap, were in their usual state or improved, so I could take Pamela along. Saturday arvo we rode out for a picnic atop windy Windy Ridge on a very warm and sunny day. It was also a perfect day - very strong, gusty winds in the canyon along Highway 12, Morton to Randle, and again on NF99 to the mountain - to test this new air deflector I grabbed from eBay. I got it for about US$22 delivered. It was extremely fiddly to assemble, with typically ridiculous instructions made more difficult by having to translate the words & pictures in Chinese to mental images in English. In the end I got it together, after thinking it was missing a few pieces (which in fact had been pre-installed) and off we went.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200730
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200731
It's easily adjustable with small, plastic tabs that rotate and provide tension to hold in the spot you select. I ended up riding with the tinted windscreen in the lowest position, most times, such was the redirection by the deflector of air over the top. The insects mainly crash landed atop the visor and on my helmet top, rather than directly into my faceshield. It's stable, firmly attached (but with rubber protective gaskets so the 'screen is not scratched), and easily adjustable, tho' not on the fly. The noise round the helmet at speed is reduced  - I always wear moulded earplugs inside my Arai Corsair - and the slight buffeting of the bike's windscreen was also reduced. I do not like very much a large windscreen to sit behind, preferring smaller 'screens and having my head above the top for better line of sight. I really like this mini-screen so far.
eBay Link to Deflector
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200732
Spirit Lake.
Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens & other Volcanoes of the Pacific North West 20200733
Mt St Helens view from our picnic spot atop Windy Ridge.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum