BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Yellow K revival Empty Yellow K revival Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Nacs

Nacs
-Continued from my intro thread

I got the bike home and since it was late October/November I would just pickle it and see ya next year. This bike was my 2nd or 3rd in the running line up and so I ended up not giving it so much attention. The bike has been basically sitting the whole time except for an occasional ride where I live around the back roads. So 3 years sitting, full tuneup time.

So Ive been going over the bike, HOPING to have it ready for Laconia. I took it for a ride and it needs help. Im gathering parts and trying to go over one system at a time

Brakes are first on the list because Im replacing most of it. The lines are ORIGINAL 1984 lines. New lines/pads/caliper rebuild on the way. The rear caliper and MC looked good after I set them in the ultrasonic tank. No pits or corrosion on the important metal so its being reused. Whats up with the short brake line on the front MC to the neck tube? I cant find one.

Tires, I was thinking Metzeler Roadtec 01 both front and back. Was looking at 80/20, 90/10 dual sport tires but not sure. Lasertecs are on it now but are old and have a slow leak.

Forks Id really like to replace the springs but I think I can let that slide for a season and just use a heavier weight oil for now. The front dive seems typical of other rider reports. The rear has a Hagon adjustable shock so thats good.

I bit the bullet and bought a new right side switch assembly with the start button and turn signal buttons. I was having starting problems and Ive been reading about it for years now. I uncovered some repaired wires, mostly grounds. The ground under the gas tank was altered but still attached to the point on the frame. That ground wire ran to the other ground on the tranny that the battery goes to. The P.O. did this with 12awg wire.. Is that too thin for a battery ground? The starter button stopped working after it rained and I happened to leave it outside that night. I removed and cleaned the starter, I can jump start it by jumping the starter relay and it runs fine, headlight stays on, switched load relays and nothing, bought a new switch anyways because the old one was actually torn apart and cracked.

I ordered a new BMW battery cable and will fashion a new ground for under the gas tank and then we will see what happens.

I also got some spline lube, Staburags NBU 30 PTM. Hoping the tranny removal is as easy as it seems, I want to get everything in one go. I didnt include everything I purchased for this tune up. Theres more to come once parts start rolling in and I uncover more about the bike.

Yellow K revival Img_0611

2Back to top Go down   Yellow K revival Empty Re: Yellow K revival Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:22 am

Arlina

Arlina
Seems you're on the right way Smile

Keep us updated, and pictures ofcourse Wink

3Back to top Go down   Yellow K revival Empty Re: Yellow K revival Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:40 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The wire size is okay.

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=COSP&ptag=D020418-N0610A427BB96684&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3335824&q=12awg%20wire%20current%20rating

First hit; there's a table which shows 12awg as 41 amps for chassis wiring and 9.3 amps for power supply. Had to look it up because I work in sq.mm Very Happy 

It might also help to consider (re)reading this:-

http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

Tyres... don't talk about tyres. Guaranteed pile-on Yellow K revival 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum