BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Bonzo

Bonzo
Platinum member
Platinum member
For some time now I've been noticing my speedo mists up in the same place (bottom of left glass - above the fuel icon) and I've only just realized that this is due to a hairline fracture in the glass. I can only spot it in a certain light.

I'm pretty sure the glass is fixed into the plastic surround and not removable, so wondered if anyone had a spare surround they're not using in their vast collection of spares.

Don't know for sure if they're different, but mine's a 1990 16v.

Like I say, long shot - but worth an ask  cheers


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Cut your own from a piece of A4-sized 2mm or 3mm Lexan - you have the original for a pattern.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycarbonate-Clear-Plastic-Sheet-2mm-12mm-Lexan-Makrolon-Palsun-Polycasa/232639378785?hash=item362a633561:g:wiYAAOSwNDJaZg6w

Easy-peasy. Very Happy


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Quite a few years ago I had some replacement glaases cut by the local plastic workshop. He cut one as left and right without the centre part the function section. He then cut a complete one with all the centre function symbols. I ended up just using the one half. It cost me $20.00 Au for the 3 pieces.

That was the easy part the next bit required cutting out the speedo glass. I used a high speed pneumatic pencil burr which I made a small adjustable router plate for. This allowed me to set the depth and angle of the cut so that I was only cutting the clear not the black surround. It was a very tedious job, too many revs and the plastic melted to the tool. The straight cut to separate it from the centre requires a fence so that you can run the tool across in a straight line. I free handed my first one. The second time around I learnt that WD40 can be used to stop the plastic sticking to the tool and a coarser toothed tool doesn't clog as much.

Once all the cuts were made the glass was held in by just a sliver of the remaining clear. This tapped out with a bit of tapping from the handle of a small hammer. The black surround  had to be cleaned up removing any remains of the clear. The replacement glass was sealed in with silicone free sealant. Any sealant, cleaner or protectant containing silicone will eventually causes the glass to develop crazing. Patience is needed when doing this job so I'd do a bit at a time, when I found myself starting to rush I stopped and leave it. I still have the router plate attachment that I made up which has done two replacement glasses. 
Regards Martin.
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Instru13


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
More pictures.
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Instru10
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Instru11
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Instru12


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
I have found poly carbonate although tough as nails scratches easily. I prefer to use a cast acrylic for such things. I believe most windscreen and cast acrylic these days.

Hope you can turn out a new one.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100rs 16v
2006 R1200rt
Past lives
Kawasaki Concours
1976 BMW R90s
1975 Ducati 860gt
1992 Honda VFR750
1985 Honda VF750
1982 Kawasaki 750GPZ
1975 Norton 850 Commando
    

Bonzo

Bonzo
Platinum member
Platinum member
Gulp! I struggle cutting an article out of the paper  Embarassed


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Get a 5 year old to give you a hand. Or better still a teenager they know everything.
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

Bonzo

Bonzo
Platinum member
Platinum member
@MartinW wrote:Get a 5 year old to give you a hand. Or better still a teenager they know everything.
Regards Martin.
Probably one-handed. They'll be holding their phone in the other.


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bonzo,thinking outside the box and happy to be shotdown Laughing
Drill a small hole in the casing just under the glass and fit a pipe,
Range Rover/Jaguar do this in headlight units,If it doesn't work fill the hole up Idea


__________________________________________________
1984 k100 rs red/black VIN  0004449
    

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
@Bonzo wrote:For some time now I've been noticing my speedo mists up in the same place (bottom of left glass - above the fuel icon) and I've only just realized that this is due to a hairline fracture in the glass. I can only spot it in a certain light.

I'm pretty sure the glass is fixed into the plastic surround and not removable, so wondered if anyone had a spare surround they're not using in their vast collection of spares.

Don't know for sure if they're different, but mine's a 1990 16v.

Like I say, long shot - but worth an ask  cheers
I've got a spare one.. PM me.


__________________________________________________
PRESENT:
1995 K75T.  I am the 3d owner.  Bought it in June 2019 with 6,242 miles on the odo.
1991 K100RS 4-valve attached to a 1990 Flexit sidecar. I am at least the 3d owner. Bought with 21,00+ miles on bike's odo.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan
    

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member


__________________________________________________
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Ir-log10

   ;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 60k miles   ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)  ;BMW;  K1100LT (Swiss) now a RS
    

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote:Quite a few years ago I had some replacement glaases cut by the local plastic workshop. He cut one as left and right without the centre part the function section. He then cut a complete one with all the centre function symbols. I ended up just using the one half. It cost me $20.00 Au for the 3 pieces.

That was the easy part the next bit required cutting out the speedo glass. I used a high speed pneumatic pencil burr which I made a small adjustable router plate for. This allowed me to set the depth and angle of the cut so that I was only cutting the clear not the black surround. It was a very tedious job, too many revs and the plastic melted to the tool. The straight cut to separate it from the centre requires a fence so that you can run the tool across in a straight line. I free handed my first one. The second time around I learnt that WD40 can be used to stop the plastic sticking to the tool and a coarser toothed tool doesn't clog as much.

Once all the cuts were made the glass was held in by just a sliver of the remaining clear. This tapped out with a bit of tapping from the handle of a small hammer. The black surround  had to be cleaned up removing any remains of the clear. The replacement glass was sealed in with silicone free sealant. Any sealant, cleaner or protectant containing silicone will eventually causes the glass to develop crazing. Patience is needed when doing this job so I'd do a bit at a time, when I found myself starting to rush I stopped and leave it. I still have the router plate attachment that I made up which has done two replacement glasses. 
Regards Martin.
Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Instru13

Wow.

Got to say it again, WOW  Shocked


__________________________________________________
Sometimes I'm not really Suzi Quatro.
    

Bonzo

Bonzo
Platinum member
Platinum member

Nice spot Ringfad.

It would be nice, but with postage were talking £130. That would just burn  affraid Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? 61740


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

14Back to top Go down   Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? Empty Speedo glass on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:56 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
@Bonzo wrote:For some time now I've been noticing my speedo mists up in the same place (bottom of left glass - above the fuel icon) and I've only just realized that this is due to a hairline fracture in the glass. I can only spot it in a certain light.

I'm pretty sure the glass is fixed into the plastic surround and not removable, so wondered if anyone had a spare surround they're not using in their vast collection of spares.

Don't know for sure if they're different, but mine's a 1990 16v.

Like I say, long shot - but worth an ask  cheers

If you are still searching, I have an extra instrument panel for ‘87. Let me know if you still need it.


__________________________________________________
Dave
    

Bonzo

Bonzo
Platinum member
Platinum member
@davemadsen wrote:
@Bonzo wrote:For some time now I've been noticing my speedo mists up in the same place (bottom of left glass - above the fuel icon) and I've only just realized that this is due to a hairline fracture in the glass. I can only spot it in a certain light.

I'm pretty sure the glass is fixed into the plastic surround and not removable, so wondered if anyone had a spare surround they're not using in their vast collection of spares.

Don't know for sure if they're different, but mine's a 1990 16v.

Like I say, long shot - but worth an ask  cheers

If you are still searching, I have an extra instrument panel for ‘87. Let me know if you still need it.

There's one on the way thank you Dave  Longshot. Anyone got a spare speedo glass/surround? 112350


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum