BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Corbin seat redo Empty Corbin seat redo on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:04 pm

keithnh

keithnh
My 85 K100 has a Corbin seat on it, was wondering if it is a factory seat. It seems kind of "flattened" tho intact and I was wondering if adding layers of gel-foam in a seat makeover was a common practice for the Corbins ... and what the best materials are for adding. I like to be comfortable riding and am not a lightweight. My R65 seat was a do-over by a company that specialized in Beamer seats but am not sure they are still around. There is a girl close to me that does a nice job redoing seats, she might be able to make me a sweet seat with the right materials. Was already going to give her my "geeky beamer (R65) bags" to add a slim layer of gel foam then cover with black seat leather and BMW emblems. I have never seen them done up that way but they are durable, mount sturdily and hold the most of any bags I have seen. Just look a little geeky which this might fix.

2Back to top Go down   Corbin seat redo Empty Re: Corbin seat redo on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:10 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
The seat base should be stock BMW what above that is Corbins, so the girl close to you should be able to do what you want to the base.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

3Back to top Go down   Corbin seat redo Empty Re: Corbin seat redo on Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:37 am

keithnh

keithnh
Cool, got bike running yesterday, key today for 35$, Beamer shop had one on order from Germany tho they hadnt told me that was delay. They looked up my bike 606 paint code, somebody has repainted it the 617 green I guess .. Im just going to color match locally and shoot myself once I have my fiberglass parts all gathered .. if bike doesnt need serious $ in engine diddling from Beamer shop. Will get sticker tomorrow and see how she goes down the road hopefully. Seat recover will be a winter project if she's a runner-keeper.

4Back to top Go down   Corbin seat redo Empty Re: Corbin seat redo on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:25 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Keith , here is my bike , this is 617 Diamond Grey , your bike is not 617 

On the topic of the corbin seat , I too had one for a while , Corbin seats do not use the original seat base , they are an integrated one piece unit that fully replaces the original . Your seat looks pretty good and not damaged or worn . The way Corbins are designed is to give your arse greater support by having a greater surface area in contact with your bum spreading the load , a normal Corbin is quite hard with little give , the comfort comes from the shape not the padding , think of a metal tractor seat , same principle . Over the time that I had it I never got a sore bum . I would use the bike for a few months before making big changes 

Hope this info helps

John Re

Melbourne Australia

1987 K100RS ( original owner )

Corbin seat redo Img_2910

5Back to top Go down   Corbin seat redo Empty Re: Corbin seat redo on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:55 pm

keithnh

keithnh
Thanks John,
                      I kinda like fixing up things and meeting/supporting local people who do to especially ones with a business who do a good job Smile. My seat will eventually go to the local girl most likely. I will try it out for awhile to identify what I do and dont like about it as you suggest. I know I like how the bike runs though now some oil leaks to work on. It is a keeper. So seat will get done.
Have a snowmobile seat and my other beamer seat that is actually ripped alittle. I think it is a "Russell" on my R65. Was going to give her my "geeky Beamer bags" ,that I love actually, to doll up a little if she does well on those 2 seats, I think I can make them so they are actually cool looking. I like the smell of new leather and want to have that on my new seats as long as possible. On bags too would make smell more intense.
Have a 90 Chevy pickup I had replaced the seat in as it was bad when I bought it in 99, replaced with a factory  "take-off" from a newer pickup, seat is a vinyl bench with thick gel foam I think, that has never lost its comfort and is still the most comfortable automotive seat I have ever sat on. The rest of the truck is rusted away but I wont sell it because that seat is so comfortable. Hoping to add that comfort if I can to my bike seat.

Bike was not green was 606 blue ice something not 617 like I had thought .. I like the British racing green someone had it painted .. just watched an old movie "Battle of Britain" and noticed 2 things that made me think of this forum .. 1.The guy driving to the "Jack Daw Inn" pub to meet his wife (cute girl of movie) was driving a BRG MG 2 seater I think. And the German officer starting up his Messerschmitt ME-109 ... it puffed oil like crazy when it started as all his buddies planes did too, pretty sure that was real .. was thinking might just be part of German engineering. Not something Im crazy about but maybe not to worry too much Smile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum