BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
Greetings All,

Delighted to join all those like minded enough to own a K100 Smile I have a 1985 K100RS with 48K miles now enjoying the comfort of my garage, alongside a 1987 911. They speak Deutch to each other when I am not around.

I came about mine in a round-about way, as these things often happen. I had recently sold my '99 Blackbird and was looking at R series Beemers with an eye toward a classic 80's model. The price left me overwhelmed and the riding experience left me underwhelmed. It was not my intention to get another "crotch rocket" as my wife took to calling the Blackbird, but to purchase a bike that was approachable for her to ride (she rode in university but little since) while still being fun for my weekend trips down the country lanes. I also wanted to bank away some of the Blackbird money (little good that did) and take advantage of the late summer bike sale opportunities locally. So this bike appeared on craiglist and was a nice color (blue) and had some nice upgrades (shock, seat) along with a caring enthusiast owner and all service records. After a bit of soul searching on the previous owner's part (he seemed reluctant to sell) I finally got an appointment and took a look. Condition was decent and "honest" with the owner sparing no details on what was right and wrong with the bike. He delivered it to my house a few days later.

We have ridden a few thousand miles since then, and I enjoy the "vintage" machine quite a lot. There seem to be a few extra neutrals, most notably between 4-5 but otherwise she buzzes right along. Performance is "adequate" as they say, and since all my riding is for pleasure I do not feel rushed. I have put her up against a friend with a KTM SuperMotor 950, and the old BMW was able to keep pace at our 7/10ths twisty rides.

My motorsports history seems to be getting longer as I age, the past had me start on a '75 Honda CB360T at 17 and then a '76 Kawasaki H1F oil burner. I moved to the '84 Ninja 900 for many years, had a flirtation with a Ducati Paso that ended badly (she was left neglected in the shed for lack of interest) and then the Blackbird. I quite enjoyed the heavy Honda, but I always felt that only a fraction of the bike's capability was being explored. So after five years she left and the BMW arrived. It is a wonder that it took me this long to get a German two wheeled machine, as the aforementioned 911 hints I have a long history with Bavarian and Stuttgart marques.

Few of my vehicles remain completely stock, I enjoy shade tree wrenching and have already done a few upgrades on the K100 (C bars, heated grips, flasher switch).

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by CBRacerX on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
Since all threads are worthless without pictures, here are a few:

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA IMG_0413

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA IMG_0411

And just to prove that I have come by my screen name honorably, here is a pre-wife and kids garage shot:

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Garage_3

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
And some of the Moto history:

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA IMG_7191

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Kaw_H1F_T_A
Both bike and girl are long gone Smile

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Ninja_900_84

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Honda_CB360T_81A

Last edited by CBRacerX on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Welcome to the K100 forum!

Can I come to play in your garage? Since the girl on the Kawi is long gone, I would be most interested to wrench on your Bavarian beasts.
By the way, I started to legally ride on a CB360 too!

Cheers

Bert

Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Frog15Greetings from a K100RS Owner in New Hope, PA USA Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
'70 CB350 was my first bike...

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
Great to hear from these upright twin fans Smile

I got more tickets on that old CB than any other vehicle since.

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Hello.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Chris!
I was even silly enough to buy a CB400T...looking back on it now, it was one damned ugly bike!

There are a couple of threads that may help you with your shifting (false neutral) problems.
Basically, preload the shifter before changing gears. I had the same problem when I first got my RS, now it's as good as gold.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
blakey wrote:Welcome Chris!
I was even silly enough to buy a CB400T...looking back on it now, it was one damned ugly bike!

There are a couple of threads that may help you with your shifting (false neutral) problems.
Basically, preload the shifter before changing gears. I had the same problem when I first got my RS, now it's as good as gold.

Thanks! I will give that approach a go on my next ride. The problem occurs most often with a run up near redline in 4th, FWIW. That could have me more "eager" on the shifter although I have been trying to be quite purposeful.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I find it interesting that though you and I have the same bike/yr/model, your 'dash' pad has the ignition switch in the center, though mine is offset to the left. I note the hazard switch, what's the one on the other side? Did those switches plug straight up to the harness or did you have to do some wiring?

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
club_c wrote:I find it interesting that though you and I have the same bike/yr/model, your 'dash' pad has the ignition switch in the center, though mine is offset to the left. I note the hazard switch, what's the one on the other side? Did those switches plug straight up to the harness or did you have to do some wiring?

Well... I cheated. These pics are of a K75C handlebar conversion I just did. During the conversion I replaced the RS dashpad with the K75C version, and installed a flasher switch and heated grips. I used BMW parts for the flasher and grips so the wiring all just plugged in easily. This new dashpad also had the effect of moving the ignition switch to the center as you noticed.

For my next trick, I am retrofitting the factory guages found in the fairing for water and oil temp (just bought on ebay). For these, the wiring harnesses may no longer be available, and I will have to make my own. Still in the planning stage on that effort.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, that makes some sense.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Chris,
Great to have you on board look forward to your input.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome to the forum.

Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia.

aarond

aarond
Hey Chris, welcome to the forum. Nice pics!

-aaron

barryt

barryt
Silver member
Silver member
Nice bike CBRacer....same colour as mine : "R1 Blue"...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum