BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   K100 monolever casting thickness Empty K100 monolever casting thickness on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:37 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Does anyone out there happen to know how thick the casting is on a K100 monolever ? , no guesses please , just the facts

Thanks in advance

John Re

Melbourne Australia


__________________________________________________
Diamond Grey ( 617 ) 1987 K100RS ( European Delivery ) Original owner
    

2Back to top Go down   K100 monolever casting thickness Empty Re: K100 monolever casting thickness on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
@JR_K100RS wrote:Does anyone out there happen to know how thick the casting is on a K100 monolever ? , no guesses please , just the facts

Thanks in advance

John Re

Melbourne Australia
I happen to still have my K75's monolever casting after a conversion to the paralever. Assuming the monolever swingarm is the same for both the K75 and the K100, which point on the casting are you wondering about? I'll try to measure...


__________________________________________________
PRESENT:
1995 K75T.  I am the 3d owner.  Bought it in June 2019 with 6,242 miles on the odo.
1991 K100RS 4-valve attached to a 1990 Flexit sidecar. I am at least the 3d owner. Bought with 21,00+ miles on bike's odo.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan
    

3Back to top Go down   K100 monolever casting thickness Empty Re: K100 monolever casting thickness on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks DadofHedgehog ,
                                    just need to know the thickness of the casting of the monolever tube , say at the mid point of the monolever

Ta

John Re

Melbourne Australia


__________________________________________________
Diamond Grey ( 617 ) 1987 K100RS ( European Delivery ) Original owner
    

4Back to top Go down   K100 monolever casting thickness Empty Re: K100 monolever casting thickness on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
@JR_K100RS wrote:Thanks DadofHedgehog ,
                                    just need to know the thickness of the casting of the monolever tube , say at the mid point of the monolever

Ta

John Re

Melbourne Australia

Based on my measurements (15 mm thickness of the Monolever flange on its final drive end, at a point where the flange has zero inner "lip", minus the 7 mm depth of this flange in relation to the outside wall of the Monolever shaft tunnel) the Monolever shaft tunnel wall thickness is 8 mm. Looking through the shaft tunnel, its cast wall appears to be of equal thickness throughout.

I hope this helps.


__________________________________________________
PRESENT:
1995 K75T.  I am the 3d owner.  Bought it in June 2019 with 6,242 miles on the odo.
1991 K100RS 4-valve attached to a 1990 Flexit sidecar. I am at least the 3d owner. Bought with 21,00+ miles on bike's odo.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan
    

5Back to top Go down   K100 monolever casting thickness Empty Re: K100 monolever casting thickness on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
@DadofHedgehog wrote:
@JR_K100RS wrote:Thanks DadofHedgehog ,
                                    just need to know the thickness of the casting of the monolever tube , say at the mid point of the monolever

Ta

John Re

Melbourne Australia

Based on my measurements (15 mm thickness of the Monolever flange on its final drive end, at a point where the flange has zero inner "lip", minus the 7 mm depth of this flange in relation to the outside wall of the Monolever shaft tunnel) the Monolever shaft tunnel wall thickness is 8 mm. Looking through the shaft tunnel, its cast wall appears to be of equal thickness throughout.

I hope this helps.

This would be slightly thicker at the several longitutinal cast ridges on the Monolever shaft tunnel. For example, on the outside (street) side, the Monolever shaft tunnel has a long thick reinforcing ridge cast into it. There are several other thicker angled ridges cast into the Monolever's outside. However, on the inside the shaft tunnel has a uniform round shape.

If you want a guinea pig Monolever cast body for your project, I can send you my old one.


__________________________________________________
PRESENT:
1995 K75T.  I am the 3d owner.  Bought it in June 2019 with 6,242 miles on the odo.
1991 K100RS 4-valve attached to a 1990 Flexit sidecar. I am at least the 3d owner. Bought with 21,00+ miles on bike's odo.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan
    

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks DadofHedgehog , no need to send the old one , thanks for going to the trouble for me . Sometime ago I did an upgrade to a 4.5 inch x 18 rear wheel which is running a 160/60/18 tyre , the gearing is not quite right with this size ( lower gearing ) , a 170/60/18 is spot on so will be fitting one if possible , refitting the wheel shim plus stealing mm's from other places will be required

Thanks again

John Re

Melbourne Australia


__________________________________________________
Diamond Grey ( 617 ) 1987 K100RS ( European Delivery ) Original owner
    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Any changes made to the centre stand and stand assembly? You may need to change the centre stand to the K100 16v or K1100 assembly.

The 4.5/18 inch sounds like its from a K1100RS?


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 37,190 miles
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles.
    

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
@JR_K100RS wrote:Thanks DadofHedgehog , no need to send the old one , thanks for going to the trouble for me . Sometime ago I did an upgrade to a 4.5 inch x 18 rear wheel which is running a 160/60/18 tyre , the gearing is not quite right with this size ( lower gearing ) , a 170/60/18 is spot on so will be fitting one if possible , refitting the wheel shim plus stealing mm's from other places will be required

Thanks again

John Re

Melbourne Australia

OK, based on this post I re-measured the Monolever... I now understand your concern to be the Monolever drive shaft casting's thickness at the closest point to the rear tire. There is another reinforcing horizontal cast ridge on the outside of the wall facing the tire, smller than the one on the outer side. It is in line with the cast half-moon bracket which holds the rear brake line. The thickness of this inside horizontal ridge (or "flange"), from its outer side to the tunner casting's sidewall, is 1.5 mm. Thus, the combined wall thickness of the tunnel casting + the ridge = 9.5 mm.


__________________________________________________
PRESENT:
1995 K75T.  I am the 3d owner.  Bought it in June 2019 with 6,242 miles on the odo.
1991 K100RS 4-valve attached to a 1990 Flexit sidecar. I am at least the 3d owner. Bought with 21,00+ miles on bike's odo.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan
    

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks again DadofHedgehog , all good 

To answer your questions Olaf take a look at this

https://www.k100-forum.com/t2713p100-wider-wheels-radial-tyres-on-a-k100

my story starts at post 141

Thanks again

John Re

Melbourne Australia


__________________________________________________
Diamond Grey ( 617 ) 1987 K100RS ( European Delivery ) Original owner
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum