BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone had any experience or advice on how to calibrate the fuel sensor for a K75? When I redid the tank I'm not sure which of the two sensors I put in but the low fuel light is coming on at 169 miles (271KM). At that point the bike will start surging as fuel sloshes around if I'm accelerating or if I'm going up a hill/incline. I would prefer to have the fuel light come on at around 150 miles. That's warning enough to get to a gas station. I suspect bending the arm float arm is one way to do it. But wondered if there were a more controlled approach.

best regards.

2Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:30 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Use an appropriate lever to move the wheel if it's not frozen.
Regards Martin.
Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Fuel_s10

3Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
To expand on Martin's post, the controlled way is fully described in text and photos by robmack in this post then supplemented by a post by kennybob. Scroll down to find it. The condition of the sending unit will determine the ease of that method.

Surging is likely to happen on my K75 at ~215 miles. With a full gallon container of reserve fuel onboard, I've run the moto a few times until it has stalled; that's happened at ~225 miles. I set the fuel level indicator lamp to light at approximately 160 miles of mixed mountain and flatland riding then refer to the trip meter to determine how far my luck will stretch. Miles per gallon tend to range from 45 to 52, solo but I'm not frequently contending with grades common in the Bay Area. Exactly how much fuel remains after the lamp is lit depends upon how fast I've been riding, the head- or tailwinds and the pitch of the roads.

You should probably raise the float a little for earlier indication. Is your tank's fuel return outlet at the tank's ceiling emptying onto the right side of the tank? If it is, a hose can be attached to it then routed to dump on the left side of the tank nearer the fuel pump to wring out a few more miles from the supply.

4Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:41 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:To expand on Martin's post, the controlled way is fully described in text and photos by robmack in this post then supplemented by a post by kennybob. Scroll down to find it. The condition of the sending unit will determine the ease of that method.

Surging is likely to happen on my K75 at ~215 miles. With a full gallon container of reserve fuel onboard, I've run the moto a few times until it has stalled; that's happened at ~225 miles. I set the fuel level indicator lamp to light at approximately 160 miles of mixed mountain and flatland riding then refer to the trip meter to determine how far my luck will stretch. Miles per gallon tend to range from 45 to 52, solo but I'm not frequently contending with grades common in the Bay Area. Exactly how much fuel remains after the lamp is lit depends upon how fast I've been riding, the head- or tailwinds and the pitch of the roads.

You should probably raise the float a little for earlier indication. Is your tank's fuel return outlet at the tank's ceiling emptying onto the right side of the tank? If it is, a hose can be attached to it then routed to dump on the left side of the tank nearer the fuel pump to wring out a few more miles from the supply.
Hey guys, Thanks. Sounds quite reasonable. Maybe to look at the spare sensor and check it out first then swap it for the one in place.  My mileage on the silver bike is less than 40 mpg and that's with a T-windscreen. My Red bike gets 40+mpg and that's with a R100RT fairing with a barn door windscreen. The silver bike is a work in progress whereas Red has been my main ride for 163,000miles. I'm thinking there is some work to be done on Silver, like cleaning the injectors and work in the instrument pod. It's coming along. But hey thanks again. I'll be asking more questions about small details like the instrument pod. Waiting to get a LED replacement kit before tackling that.

5Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:51 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Off-topic: do NOT replace the generator warning bulb with an LED. The alternator needs the filament resistance to kickstart power generation.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Off-topic: do NOT replace the generator warning bulb with an LED. The alternator needs the filament resistance to kickstart power generation.

+1 No need to say why.

When I put LED's in my instrument pods, I take a pieces of black electrical tape and put a 1/4"(6mm) holes in them and place them over the blue and red lenses for the high beam and low fuel lights. Makes them less annoying at night when I may be riding for long periods with them lit, especially the high beam indicator.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Dai wrote:Off-topic: do NOT replace the generator warning bulb with an LED. The alternator needs the filament resistance to kickstart power generation.
In my experience using a LED in place of a traditional bulb in the charge indicator slot of the instruments only delays when the indicator light goes out. In fact, I don't have a bulb or an LED in Big Block's minimal dash at all and she begins churning out full charge just off idle, rising to 14.3V regularly. But hey, it's a beasty of a different sort anyway.

Now, on an Airhead (and perhaps early Guzzi) you absolutely need a functioning bulb in there before she'll even begin to think about charging.

8Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dai, on this one subject I will disagree. I replaced all my bulbs with LED's on the Red bike including the alternator warning light. As per Scott Drake's comments about this If I rev the engine up to about 2000 rpm then there is enough power to get the alternator going and after that it performs the same as a bulb. And I've had this change in place for several 10's of thousands of miles without issue. Speaking of which I've not heard back from him. At last report he did not have the instrument pod LED's in stock. So I was wondering if there is any other sources. A friend
passed this link to me but I don't see them as providing the instrument pod lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1987-bmw-k75c-vehicle-led-lights?make=11&model=2854&year=1987

9Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:At last report he did not have the instrument pod LED's in stock. So I was wondering if there is any other sources.
I think you're looking for a 194 wedge base single LED for that application (alternator lamp) but you can compare the one in Red's instrument with the selection at Superbright or other vendors.

Last edited by Laitch on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:26 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Most electronic stores will have them as in Jaycar, Tandy. I tried blue backlighting and then settled on red. For some reason green LED's are expensive.
Regards Martin.

11Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:55 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Most electronic stores will have them as in Jaycar, Tandy. I tried blue backlighting and then settled on red. For some reason green LED's are expensive.
Regards Martin.
Is Tandy the same company as Tandy, i.e. Radio Shack, in the US? And are they still in business down under?

12Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
One in the same, they used to be along with Dick Smith's all over OZ. There might be one or two left in OZ, Dick Smith evolved into a electrical appliance store and disappeared . All we have left is Jaycar and it's clone Altronics.
Regards Martin.

13Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I get all my instrument LED's from Super Bright LED's. The wedge base single element 120 degree for the back lighting and the indicators.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-1-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/197/852/

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

14Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:19 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:I get all my instrument LED's from Super Bright LED's.  The wedge base single element 120 degree for the back lighting and the indicators.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-1-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/197/852/
Hey thanks, good pointer. What color did you get for the instrument pod back lighting? And does it work for you? Not too bright or dim? What about the alternator light? The kit I got from Scott had a red one which was adequate to energize the alternator as I mentioned previously. Just wanting to know if these have the same or similar  draw.

15Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:08 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I've used red, blue and green LED's in my instrument clusters and they all work well. Only thing I've noticed is that the 1/10th mile digit on the tripmeter can't be read at night with the red lights.

I leave the bulb in the battery idiot light. I let my bikes idle in the garage during the winter to charge the batteries. With the LED, I was having a hard time keeping the rpm's high enough to self energize the windings in the alternator.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

16Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
As you've (mostly) all found out, using an LED in the gen bulb position requires a big handful of revs to kickstart the charging. A standard bulb starts charging at about 900 rpm. If there's enough residual magnetism in the rotor then the alternator will stay activated at lower revs. You may get lucky and it stays charging at normal tickover. IME I found that charging dropped out at about 1100rpm. Didn't like that.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

17Back to top Go down   Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Empty Re: Calibration of Fuel Level Sensor Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:As you've (mostly) all found out, using an LED in the gen bulb position requires a big handful of revs to kickstart the charging. A standard bulb starts charging at about 900 rpm. If there's enough residual magnetism in the rotor then the alternator will stay activated at lower revs. You may get lucky and it stays charging at normal tickover. IME I found that charging dropped out at about 1100rpm. Didn't like that.

Exactly!

Since the bulb is illuminated for very little time, it's life and current usage is not a factor. It's more important to me that the field is excited at low rpm when idling, especially during winter storage when the monthly engine idle in the garage is how I keep my batteries charged up.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content