BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Over the years, few third party manufacturers made a fairing for the K100. Here is what I found, but you may know more of them.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures...

Chaplot (French)
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_c10

Kings (I believe England)
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_k10

Krauser (Germany)
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_k11

Pichler (Germany)
How many after market fairings for the K100? Pichler3

Levallois Moto (French)
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_l10

How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_l11

Ongar (??? doesn't exist anymore)
How many after market fairings for the K100? Ongar_10

How many after market fairings for the K100? Ongar_11

How many after market fairings for the K100? Ongar_12

Sprint (England)

How many after market fairings for the K100? 19769_10

Installed on my K75 but a K100 fairing)
How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0310

And the same one on Club_C K100
How many after market fairings for the K100? 007a10

BMW (Germany)
How many after market fairings for the K100? Seg_k110

How many after market fairings for the K100? Seg_k111

How many after market fairings for the K100? Tete_d10

And now something a bit special....

The Ecomobile
How many after market fairings for the K100? Eco-Arnold-U

The Scorpion from Grinnall in England
How many after market fairings for the K100? Pic06 How many after market fairings for the K100? Scorp4

The Krauser Domani
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_k12

How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_k13

Anything missing?

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Wulf, Germany

How many after market fairings for the K100? Wulf-BMW%20K100%20RS

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is pictures of the Levallois fairing. I just received them from the owner of the bike (in France)

How many after market fairings for the K100? Levall10

How many after market fairings for the K100? Levall11

The 'Ongar' appears to be a highly re-done Airhead RS fairing, with which I'm familiar as I've got one! I can say except for it being on an ancient air-cooled motorbike with an equally ancient frame design it has to be one of the best fairing designs for travelling distance or at speed. I lusted after one as a teenager and at age eighteen had a poster of the silver-matte painted original model on the wall of the printing shop where I worked. I fitted one to my R75/7 as soon as I could - what 17 year old can afford the then top of the range BMW? - as I could only cough up the hard-earned coin for the R75 in 1977! No, I didn't sell drugs. It was earnt through more pedestrian pursuits like a paper route, a roadside vegie stall, and chimney sweeping. Point is I had to have that fairing, even if I couldn't afford the bike it came on!

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img01610

How many after market fairings for the K100? Bmw_k-10
Here's another look at one man's mods to his K-bike using the Airhead RS fairing. It's an almost timeless design that still looks good today.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0810

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0811

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0812

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
And here's another - work in progress.................
It's the same route that BMW went down when they were developing the S1000RR - Yam R6 [ '09 ].
How many after market fairings for the K100? Racerepmay09008

The Airhead RS fairing remains a favourite of many riders. I've seen one fitted to a Kawasaki Concours, a Suzuki Bandit, and this fine example, a K75 by the folks at Beemer Boneyard in America. The upper fairing ties nicely into the engine and then the chin spoiler, leaving no real reason to try to modify the lowers to fit the mini 'brick'.

BTW, a good source for spare parts too... http://www.beemerboneyard.com/1sections.html

How many after market fairings for the K100? Beemer10
I love the attention to detail, even the contrasting blue highlights have grown on me.

Life time member
Life time member
Another Krauser this time on a k75s and with krauser luggage...found it on ebay.

How many after market fairings for the K100? K75_kr10

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is another posted by GorverK (this post)
It looks like a Krauser.

How many after market fairings for the K100? Mount_10

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Rifle makes fairings for K bikes too.  They're actually generic fairings that can be fitted to any bike but Rifle does make kits to mount them to Ks and other Beemers.

Here's an example of a K75 with a Rifle Sport fairing:

How many after market fairings for the K100? Rifle-sport-fairing-BMW-K75_m1

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
This is a very interesting collection of after-market fairings.  I had no idea there were so many.  I say "were" because I doubt that many continue to be available today.
Nice as some may be, the OEM RS model is hard to beat, as far as I'm concerned.  It's very pleasing to the eye and does a fairly good job of protecting the rider at speed.  I was able to ride a lot of high speed miles last summer with my 1985 K100RS, and found that at day's end I felt pretty good (for and old guy). Very Happy

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Moto Martin is (was) a French engineering company, started by Georges Martin, known for its motosport inspired racer style frame kits. The original Moto Martin frame designs were based on the work of Fritz Egli.

This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built

How many after market fairings for the K100? Moto-m10

How many after market fairings for the K100? Moto-m11

How many after market fairings for the K100? Moto-m12

Martin was well known in France for its work on Kawasaki.
How many after market fairings for the K100? Kawasa10

Here is an example of a frame for a 900 Kawasaki. The frame for the BMW K1 was the same style.
How many after market fairings for the K100? Martin10

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
tgolden wrote:Here's an '85 K100 with Wulf Gerstenmaier Special that was for sale in Texas on eBay. The bidding didn't meet the reserve price so it didn't sell. It may still be available.

Belongs to the member "Blue water".

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:
This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built

Some other variations, of the Brune/Martin K1:
 http://classic.brunegmbh.de/html-de/sys-frames/index-de.htm

How many after market fairings for the K100? Brunek10

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Crazy Frog wrote:This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built
I didn't know that Brune developed the kit with Martin. In fact, pardon my ignorance, but I even never heard of Brune.
Nice international cooperation.  Very Happy

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
I too am more than a little surprised by the number of aftermarket fairings for the K, given that the original ones were so good, whether we are discussing RS, or RT.

I suppose that BMW did charge riders a lot of money to sit behind their state of the art fairings, so that must have spurred others to offer similar fairings for less.  Then there was the gap between the K being available, and the arrival of the RS and RT versions, that must have given birth to more variations on a theme.

I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
xpc316e wrote:I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.
I own a K75 with a Sprint fairing and I have to say that I am amazed by the protection that it offers for a small sport fairing.
If I wash the bike and then go for a short ride, when I come back, the droplets of water sitting on the top of the tank as well as the top of the side parts of the fairing are still at the same place when I come back.
If I ride under rain, I always have to stand up on the pegs to get the wind cleaning the water on the helmet shield (I have RT handle bars and sit in an upright position)
The second best option is the double H4 headlight.
I also have to mention that the Sprint encloses the engine and my legs are not cooking by the heat released by the engine.
Third one is wind noise. With the Sprint, air is deflected over the rider and reduces noise in the helmet.
I once rode for over a kilometer with a bumble bee caught in the air bubble created by the fairing. She was traveling with me at 100Km/h

My K100rt solo has an electric windshield, and it offers the same protection as the Sprint with the option to get the air blasting in my face. The problem is that if bought new the cost of the modification from BMW standard to electric is the same as replacing the fairing with a Sprint.

With the Sprint, the drag's coefficient may not be as good as with a true BMW fairing, but it must be very close.

AND.... some people don't want to have a 'standard' K100 and prefer the look of an aftermarket. I believe this is the best explanation for aftermarket fairings.

CF

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
Crazy Frog, my initial guess would have been that merely riding a K would have been enough to satisfy the desire to be different gland that some of us have, but obviously for some folks it proved insufficient - you make a fair point.

Your mention of the improved lighting available by purchasing an aftermarket fairing was a factor I had not thought of either.  The twin headlamp Sprint fairing was a really lovely thing in terms of appearance, and of course what looks right, often is right.  Motorcycle lighting has always been the poor relation of that available to those on four wheels, and a problem I have usually tackled by additional spotlights, Cibié headlights, high wattage bulbs, etc., because I have never had the finances to fit a twin headlamp fairing. 

This thread is a good example of why this forum is so good: one offers an opinion, and the along comes another point of view which forces one to return and reconsider the original theory.  Just like a good discussion over a pint in a pub.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
xpc316e wrote:Just like a good discussion over a pint in a pub.
And this is basically the roman definition of a forum...
Open public space for discussion where everybody can express their opinion.
No censure but just listen then make your own opinion considering what you learned from others.
I will reiterate that look is what drives aftermarket manufacturers to develop new products even if the OEM product is more efficient.
A lot of people don't care if a new fairing is not as efficient as the OEM. If it is more aesthetically pleasing for them, they will get it.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
I really enjoyed looking at the pedigree of the K-bikes, but I have to admit that my favorite among the above is the black and white fairing with the "apple" logo.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

22Back to top Go down   How many after market fairings for the K100? Empty fairings galore Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Beem me up

Beem me up
what a great lesson in fairing history and lore!  Loved it.  Took me days to surf all this and links!
Thanks everybody

kjo

kjo
Interesting info -- quite the variety of choices...

Darrenptalbot

Darrenptalbot
I've got a sprint fairing for sale in teh Uk if anyone wants it?  Its the twin headlight version - £75, with collection preferred!

Link is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301349990484?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
xpc316e wrote: . . . I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.
That sounds about right.

My unfaired K goes around 15k's faster (believe it or not) with my partner and panniers on the back as opposed to just me riding it

As for the wind tunnel . .  man . . I tell ya . .  back in 1990 - 1992 . . .after stropping over the North Island of NZ and back every weekend for a year (from Hamilton to Napier) the R100RS I had was an absolute delight.

Not a single drop of water touched you, in pissing down hard rain, unless you went below about 55kph, and then the air-bubble created by the fairing design popped and you got soaked. Magic . .  absolute magic.

But, with it's big petrol tank I could do non stop runs, 285k's all up in around 2.5 hours. So the winter rains never bothered me. It was a 3 to 4 hour trip in a car

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
Guest wrote: . . . it has to be one of the best fairing designs for travelling distance or at speed.  . . . the Airhead RS fairing. It's an almost timeless design that still looks good today.
It still IS .

Unsurpassed wet weather and wind protection, think about that!

1976 the did this - and now it is almost 2016. Nearly 40 years and still the best protection ever offered. When they did that wind tunnel testing they hit the jackpot and nobody has ever been able to improve on the design.  . . and prossibly never will!

I cannot speak highly enough of the R100RS, I really can't.

To my mind that model was the best boxer ever made. But, alas . . . I owned mine for 3 years. wow. I was dumb and stupid back then. I ripped the fairing off and  . . . . here goes . .  BINNED IT! And customised the bike, rather heavily, like what I have done to my current K

If I have the opportunity over the next few years then I will be buying an R100RS for winter riding

The only drawback with them was the heat off the engine. GREAT foot warmers in winter but a little too warm in summer. Nothing like a K1 but still too warm for comfort

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

Yes, this is a Schmotte fairing. Quite unusual...

By the way, King's fairings were french made, . They were very popular in the eighties, mostly fitted on japanese 4 cylinders big bikes. A small serie was made for the K100, but it couldn't match the K100RT genuine fairing, yet it was an excellent fairing, I used one on a GPZ 1100 for 2 years, I could roll my cigarettes when riding...How many after market fairings for the K100? Kings_10

; I wrote an article 2 years ago about these fairings, I found its creator who was very pleased that someone remembered about. Some versions had directionnal lights, mounted on pivots and activated with a rod on the upper triple clamp. Final version had square lamps.
How many after market fairings for the K100? K100_k10

I'm going to buy tonight a K100 with a Pichler fairing, I'll make pics about it.

David Nimrod

David Nimrod
Silver member
Silver member
My red 1984 K100, fitted with a Rickman touring fairing, Paris, mid 1980's sometime.

How many after market fairings for the K100? 8261591202_4c0cdac606_hK100 at the Eiffel Tower. by David Sillitoe, on Flickr

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
This week I found on FB another one missing to this collection.
The green fairing is a Vetter-Windjammer. I am not sure that it was exclusively made for the K bike
How many after market fairings for the K100? Vetter10
How many after market fairings for the K100? Vetter11

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I parted out an 85 a few years ago that had been fitted with a Vetter.  If I recall correctly it was a generic Vetter "custom" fitted to the K100.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
There was one for a K100 on ebay uk a few months ago. Ugly heavy thing.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Vetter fairings were also made for the boxer series. A mate of mine had one on his R75/6. The headlight didn't have a separate fairing lens as shown in the photo.

Mike

MarcS

MarcS
Silver member
Silver member
How about the $100au Ebay special?How many after market fairings for the K100? Dsc_0921

I have no problem with authority. Just some of the morons that are paid to enforce it.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I didn't see this one among the various offerings. An R100RT fairing mounted to a K75. Photo taken on a club ride in early 2020.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A home made special found by Matt.How many after market fairings for the K100? Differ10
How many after market fairings for the K100? Differ11
How many after market fairings for the K100? Differ12

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:to me that looks like a Dunstall fairing Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0811

How many after market fairings for the K100? Img_0812

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Years ago I fit a K1200S fairing to my R100...
How many after market fairings for the K100? Imgp2110
K75S forks with four piston Brembos, a 16mm R65 master cylinder and 292mm Suzuki discs with an F650CS front mudguard.
How many after market fairings for the K100? R100ks10

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:to me that looks like a Dunstall fairing Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

This is a german Schmotte aftermarket fairing.
Not common, I've only seen twice apart from this one, that was owned by a friend.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
How many after market fairings for the K100? Tourin10[url=https://servimg.com/view/13494864/3564]How many after market fairings for the K100? Tourin11[/url]
I did not see it here before: à German Glaser fairing for K100. The brand is well known for its Polizei fairings for /5 flat-twins.

schrocketeer

schrocketeer
At least one of these considered minimizing the heat off of the engine.
I've had a consideration to work up a fairing that adds NACA (NASA predecessor) inlets on the sides, with the intent to duct some outside air above the engine, to vent some heat away.
My 1986 Honda VFR700 has this inlet shape on it's sides, I believe for rear cylinders cooling (in addition to the water cooling jackets), but I digress from our Bricks.

85 K100RT
91 XR250
97 XR100
70 CT70
06 YFM400

Past Bikes:
95 VLX600
86 TRX250
02 GZ250
83 Z50R
78 ATC90
86 XR250
79 XR500
72 AT1
75 YZ360
78 DT400
75 DT125
73 Trail 70

Dad's bikes I rode in high school
69 CL175K3 Scrambler
71 R5-B (RD350 predecessor)

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
A new one, found today:
a german KEIM fairing.
How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena14
How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena15
How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena16

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
That's a nice looking fairing!  It works very well on that bike.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Agreed. It looks nice. I wonder if they can still be found or if they were ever enough to make a mark in the used market.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
I've been spotting fairings for K for a long time in Europe and I had never seen this one. Keim made a lot of fairings for mopeds and small bikes.
I'd like to find a Schmotte, but it's very rare.
Last week I've bought a Kings fairing for K100, with twin square headlights. I already had one with round headlights.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
A "new" fairing dedicated to the K100: the Hugo Frankel fairing:

How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena17
How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena18
How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena17

How many after market fairings for the K100? Carena19

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Mmm. Somehow, to me that just doesn't work.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Mmm. Somehow, to me that just doesn't work.
Agreed. Perhaps it's the age. I would have said 1950's retro. Maybe?

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
The HF fairing appears to be styled on a Bimota rear end one piece style bodywork with wonky indicators whilst the front is reminiscent of a R100RS with the round headlight and indicators.  Trying to be a K but heading in two different directions.  Trying to be traditional BMW and futuristic at the same time.  Horrible colour as well.  

Meanwhile the Keim is more squarish in line with K styling in its very early years.  It still has the R100RS screen with upturned lip for wind deflection.  

My conclusion is that at the time although BMW was heading in a new direction the R series was still very much a BMW thing in peoples minds which they could not shake off in their design concepts.  

Both good finds JBT.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Well, I'm in the more traditional mode as I'm working on a R100RS fairing for either the K100 or a K75. It's been a bit of a slog and I'm not pushing ahead terribly fast. The K100 has most of the pieces assembled but I'd prefer to just go riding. Soon. I hope. I did purchase a new R100RS mount but then I used it to create a jig to help realign bent R100RT and R100RS mounts. And since then have been working to realign the bent mounts I already have. Just looking ahead while wasting time.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
How many after market fairings for the K100? Whatsa32
How many after market fairings for the K100? Whatsa33

My new K from March. Sprint fairing.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum