BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Odallas

Odallas
Hi all

I am looking for a handlebar for my BMW K 100RS which already has holes in them to get the wiring through for my blinkers at the end of the grip. It should be a caferacer/scrambler type of bike in the end...I just cant find any.

The handlebar should be flat or slighty bent down. I am not looking for the original ones from an RT or LT (that may have wholes in them for hanldebar heaters; if that even exists)

(Couldnt find a post in this regard, sorry if that has already been discussed.)

Cheers
Odallas

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Genuine bars that have had heated grips will have a hole in the centre between the bar mounts but only K75 or K100 the K1100 bars wont be suitable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Check out Flanders bars for BMW.  http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportHandlebarsBMW.html  They produce a variety of shapes which might meet your needs.

I fit barend blinkers to my handlebars which were aftermarket 7/8" handlebars.  I drilled a hole in the middle where they mounted to the triple clamp and fed the blinker wires through that hole and up to each end of the handlebar. It was necessary to make modifications to the bars to fit the controls so I would not recommend using 7/8" bars for that reason.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
To fill out Robmack's answer re: bar size which is something that does come up on the forum from time to time. 7/8" is NOT 22.00mm - it's 22.22mm. BMW switches are designed for a 22.00mm handlebar, so any attempt to get them to grip a 7/8" bar will crack the ally housings. If you want to use aftermarket bars with OEM switches, you'll either need to bore the switches or reduce the bar diameter in the switch mounting area by 0.22mm in both cases.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
I'm using this Flanders handlebar on my moto. In addition to Dai's caution, be certain there is enough room on the straight run of the handlebar for switch gear and hydraulic brake controls, if you're intending to use OEM gear. This bar has enough room—8 inches.
Custom Handlebar (incl. Wiring holes for blinkers) Scree127

Custom Handlebar (incl. Wiring holes for blinkers) P1010010

Custom Handlebar (incl. Wiring holes for blinkers) P1010011

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:To fill out Robmack's answer re: bar size which is something that does come up on the forum from time to time. 7/8" is NOT 22.00mm - it's 22.22mm. BMW switches are designed for a 22.00mm handlebar, so any attempt to get them to grip a 7/8" bar will crack the ally housings. If you want to use aftermarket bars with OEM switches, you'll either need to bore the switches or reduce the bar diameter in the switch mounting area by 0.22mm in both cases.
Thanks Dai.  Given the two choices presented -- modify the controls or modify the bars - the best choice is modify the bars.  Let's say you screw up modding the bars or want a change.  You can always get different 7/8" bars from many sources.  Getting rare-as-hens-teeth BMW controls is a much greater challenge.  Once you've modified the controls they are useless for original 22.00mm bars.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum