BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   1985 K100 insturment cluster Empty 1985 K100 insturment cluster Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:37 am

Hendrik

Hendrik
Hello All I'm in need of an instrument cluster actually all I need is the lens as mine is cracked

2Back to top Go down   1985 K100 insturment cluster Empty Re: 1985 K100 insturment cluster Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:14 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
You might want to do a couple of searches of the forum as I seem to remember some one making themselves a new one using the old one as a template.
Hopefully they will see your post and chime in to pass along any do's and don't s they discovered.

Past lives
Kawasaki Concours
1976 BMW R90s
1975 Ducati 860gt
1992 Honda VFR750
1985 Honda VF750
1982 Kawasaki 750GPZ
1975 Norton 850 Commando

3Back to top Go down   1985 K100 insturment cluster Empty Re: 1985 K100 insturment cluster Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:14 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Unless you have a lot of patience do not undertake the following procedure. Every time I started to get a bit frustrated I'd stop and leave it for a while then come back to it. I gave the shell to a local plastic/Perspex shop and they made me up some replacement glasses for $20.00 Au. They did a full one complete with symbols and a left and a right side omitting the centre section. Due to it getting a bit complicated around the clock and only having cracks on one side I just replaced the one side. The old lens was removed using a pneumatic pencil burr grinder. In order to not cut too deep an adjustable stand was made for the burr grinder to clamp into. I used a thin pointed bit with as coarse a teeth as I had, coarser would have been better. The bit was set at a depth to not quite cut all the way through. 

Liberal amounts of WD40 was sprayed onto the bit to cool it and lessen the problem of molten Perspex from clogging the bit. I still had to frequently stop and clean the the bit, a coarser bit might have helped. Slower speed also helps it from clogging. An aluminium fence was made to cut the straight cut across the divide between the centre section with the symbols. I tried double sided tape to hold the fence in place, but this loosened off due to the WD 40 soaking into it. A better method of keeping  the fence in place would help, I'd probably attach it to the piece to be discarded with screws next time. I cut the perimeter first then the straight cut. 

Once I was satisfied that I had cut all the way around the pod was placed right side upon a padded workbench. and a couple of taps with a small hammer handle, working my way around the cut broke it free. A small block of wood with wet and dry removed the remaining residue of the lens. The new lens was glued in with acid free silicone. I was told that the crazing that occurred on the one side of my pod was caused by using products tat contained silicone. I've since done another one using the same method I persevered with the double sided tape, I wouldn't try the tape again. Would I do another one probably not.
Regards Martin.
1985 K100 insturment cluster Instru16
1985 K100 insturment cluster Instru17
1985 K100 insturment cluster Instru18
1985 K100 insturment cluster Instru19

4Back to top Go down   1985 K100 insturment cluster Empty Re: 1985 K100 insturment cluster Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Hendrix
I have a couple of fully working instrument clusters I have taken off of bikes that I have customized with new digital speedos. PM me with a reasonable offer if you want one.
Cheers
Ken

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum