BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Fuel leak issue Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:27 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

I didn't quite know whether to place this in the electrical or engine forum. This will probably do...

There are a couple of fuel/non-starting/rought running issues lately. So whilst having read them and the possible solutions (and being aware of the Great CrazyFrog's Guide to EFI on this website) I have an issue that someone may be able to offer a simple solution to. This may save me going down the long road of checking everything in the EFI system...

1. K100 has been running perfectly. No problems what-so-ever.
2. It has been REALLY hot here recently so I wimped out and used the car to go to work. Bike wasn't used for nearly two weeks.
3. Battery was just flat enough not to start the bike so I purt it on charge.
3. When I went to start it yesterday afternoon I got a very good start with charged batty but would not fire. Then smelt fuel. Thought I may have flooded bike as Fast Idle was at first stop position as this is where I normally start bike.
4. Fuel was dripping from where header pipes bolt to the exhaust. The flow was not excesive but was a continuous dripping.
5. Waited 30 minutes. Fuel drip had stopped. Bike would not start and fuel drip had started again.
6. Removed tank. plugs and injectors over nigh. I am now going to check all the wiring under tank and re-assemble and see what happens.

So my questions before re-assembling are:
1. How was it the fuel was leaking at the header/exhaust area and not anywhere else?
2. Has something simply 'stuck' open and is allowing the fuel to be flowing in the system and then leaking out as above?

Regards

Mal

2Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:32 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Well this is what you would get if you have injection, but no combustion. It can be a few things: too much fuel (wiring problem temp sensor AMM? or injectors stuck open - wire between injectors and ECU?) or not enough air (clogged air filter, vermin living in your air box, blocked intake) or no spark (spark plugs bad - coils bad - plug wires bad). Have a look at Bert's troubleshoot pages and you might get some other ideas.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel leak issue Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
With K's and many other bikes if you flood them you will not get them started until you take out the plugs clear excess fuel from the cylinders and either dry the plugs or put fresh plugs in. Crazy Frog has described several times on the forum his technique of getting the excess fuel out the cylinders with a blow torch.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies...

K-Bike - I did get a "feeling" I had simply flooded the bike. Unlike Auckland and Crazy Frog's homeland it is hot enough up here in Broome to dry everything out pretty quickly without resorting to a blowtorch! I have had it apart last night and today and it is VERY dry. I had a new set of injectors sitting around (for some time) that I hadn't gotten around to installing. Now is the time! The O rings on the old set look a bit sad...
I also found the two "breather" rubber pipes that feed into either end of the fuel sync housing behind the injectors have perished and need looking at. I will have a bit of a poke around at everything as I have the tank off as well...

Ho hum - another 5 minute job looking like a few nights after work...

I will let you both know how I get on.

Regards

Mal

5Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:36 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all
I finally put it all back together and it eventually fired up. However when I was trying to fire it up I was still getting a fuel leak/dribble flowing from the headerpipe/exhaust pipe bolt areas as detailed above.

When it finally fired I let it run for about 10 mins and it runs as smoothly as ever BUT it is obviously running rich - fuel smoke and smel from the exhaust.

I keep leaning to injector problem as I hadn't touched anything at all before this issue arose (as detailed in initial listing).

I have let it sit for 30 minutes and have fired it up again. Itfired straight away and seems ok. Still smoking from the exhaust. I will put it all back together again and take if for a run on the road to see if it clears everything up.

Question: can I remove the injectors and rails and 'test fire' them? i.e. will I see if they are all injecting fuel? Should there be a pattern of firing order or will it look reasonably uniform?

Regards

Mal

6Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:09 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Cablebeacher wrote:
Question: can I remove the injectors and rails and 'test fire' them? i.e. will I see if they are all injecting fuel? Should there be a pattern of firing order or will it look reasonably uniform?
Mal

The K100 FI system is called a wasted system.There is no firing order. The 4 injectors fire at the same time (every revolution).
Check here

7Back to top Go down   Fuel leak issue Empty Re: Fuel leak issue Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

Finally put everything back together and guess what? It is running perfectly again.

I am starting to think that it was just a fuel issue. The "new" unleaded fuel we get in Australia since leaded was banned has a tendency to gum carby's etc up if the item is not regularly used. I hadn't used my bike for about 2-3 weeks and I think it may have simply been injectors gummed up and leaking fuel...

I also feel the Fuel Injector connector plug that fits into the module under the seat "may" have become loose?

Anyway all is well with the world again.

Thanks to all for offering advice and being a great sounding board.

Regards

mal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum