BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Greetings, and those in abundance Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:06 am

shugie

shugie
New member
New member
Picked up a "project" 1992 100RS 16V which looks to my untutored eye to be in tidy nick for the year, had two boxers and three BMW singles, this is a first K for me, and possibly going to become an outfit at some point, always fancied the weird and wonderful world of three wheels.

    

2Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Re: Greetings, and those in abundance Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome! I think you're going to really like that bike. I'm on my second, and for riding around town or day trips is the best bike I've ever owned.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1991 K100RS
1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

3Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Re: Greetings, and those in abundance Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am

shugie

shugie
New member
New member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Welcome!  I think you're going to really like that bike.  I'm on my second, and for riding around town or day trips is the best bike I've ever owned.

Compared to the later BMs it's very solidly built, and quite heavy, the 650 XCountry I had last weighed about 100kgs less, but was not good on the motorway.

    

Arlina

Arlina
Moderator
Moderator
Welcome Shugie Smile


__________________________________________________
Greetings, and those in abundance Eu-log10  K1100RS/LT - R1200RT - R1100RS (RIP) - Cagiva SST 350 Ala Verde - K75LT project - K75 Schurgers - K75S
    

td5

td5
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hey Shugie,
Tons of info here just ask, a K is a solid machine, basic maintenance and she'll go forever.


__________________________________________________
Greetings, and those in abundance K_engi10
1988 / K100RS
2013 / R1200GS
2015 / K1300R
    

6Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Re: Greetings, and those in abundance Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 am

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Welkome Shugie,

Was your bike the black one I spotted over on the ukgser forum a few weeks back?

If so, it is indeed tidy  Greetings, and those in abundance 112350


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

7Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Re: Greetings, and those in abundance Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am

shugie

shugie
New member
New member
@Bonzo wrote:Welkome Shugie,

Was your bike the black one I spotted over on the ukgser forum a few weeks back?

If so, it is indeed tidy  Greetings, and those in abundance 112350

Yes, less corrosion on it than either of my GSs, both of which were considerably younger. Going to need some new tyres front is 15 years old and still with enough tread to be legal.

    

8Back to top Go down   Greetings, and those in abundance Empty Re: Greetings, and those in abundance Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:58 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
@shugie wrote:
@Bonzo wrote:Welkome Shugie,

Was your bike the black one I spotted over on the ukgser forum a few weeks back?

If so, it is indeed tidy  Greetings, and those in abundance 112350

Yes, less corrosion on it than either of my GSs, both of which were considerably younger. Going to need some new tyres front is 15 years old and still with enough tread to be legal.
Welcome along Shugie,

Sounds typical of the bikes that you can pick up...sit for a long time until the garage space is needed for something less interesting. You will find she handles a whole lot better on a fresh set of rubber. Depends if you’re going to ride first and then convert to a sidecar rig or go for the conversion straight away.

They are pretty good for corrosion resistance. However, the rear hoop of the frame does tend to be the area where corrosion can set in quite badly. It’s mostly hidden from sight (and therefore mind) by the ducktail plastic but, of course is in an area where lots of road muck, salt and water can get thrown up and then it sits there quietly rusting away. I haven’t heard of the frame failing through corrosion, but it is definitely an area to think about cleaning up and repainting if the back end of the bike plastics are off for any other reason.


__________________________________________________
Greetings, and those in abundance Uk-log10 Greetings, and those in abundance Sco-lo15Greetings, and those in abundance Eu-log10
                              Paul  Greetings, and those in abundance 905546712

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)
    

shugie

shugie
New member
New member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:
@shugie wrote:
@Bonzo wrote:Welkome Shugie,

Was your bike the black one I spotted over on the ukgser forum a few weeks back?

If so, it is indeed tidy  Greetings, and those in abundance 112350

Yes, less corrosion on it than either of my GSs, both of which were considerably younger. Going to need some new tyres front is 15 years old and still with enough tread to be legal.
Welcome along Shugie,

Sounds typical of the bikes that you can pick up...sit for a long time until the garage space is needed for something less interesting. You will find she handles a whole lot better on a fresh set of rubber. Depends if you’re going to ride first and then convert to a sidecar rig or go for the conversion straight away.

They are pretty good for corrosion resistance. However, the rear hoop of the frame does tend to be the area where corrosion can set in quite badly. It’s mostly hidden from sight (and therefore mind) by the ducktail plastic but, of course is in an area where lots of road muck, salt and water can get thrown up and then it sits there quietly rusting away. I haven’t heard of the frame failing through corrosion, but it is definitely an area to think about cleaning up and repainting if the back end of the bike plastics are off for any other reason.
Thanks for that, you are quite right, that is corroded and concealed, will need to sort that sooner rather than later. Not decided on when the conversion will occur as yet, so probably going to ride as a solo first.

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum