BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Foam grips Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:14 pm

aarond

aarond
Hey guys, I just searched the forum for "grips" and I found some interesting posts. Pro Grips seem to be a favorite brand but no one is talking about specific models. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with a certain model of Pro Grips? My 1990 RS came with foam grips that were old and losing their hold, but the cushion on long rides was nice. I just installed a new stock set of BMW grips but relative to my old grips it's like grabbing bare metal. Any recommendations for a good mix between grip and cushion? Is there already a relevant post I'm not seeing?

Thanks!
Aaron

2Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Re: Foam grips Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
I have flat grips. The left one rotates so the angle adjusts it self to your grip and the right one rotates with the throttle as normal.

existing thin sponge grip is fine but I've decided that a thicker grip will give me some more comfort on long rides, so I've used spongy pipe insulation to pad the thing out. It is easy to pull it over the existing handle and it mould it self around my grip. It helps. I have a meter of this stuff and I simply change it from time to time.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

3Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Re: Foam grips Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:31 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
In similar fashion to what Ned said, I also put something over the top of the smooth-from-age stock grips. I bought them at a motorcycle shop. They basically are just flat pieces of neoprene with a velcro type connection. I wrapped it around each grip and the verlco part holds it together. I keep the connection joint at my fingertips at the back of the grips.

It adds considerably to the overall diameter so I suspect that smaller handed people wouldn't like it but I like them fine. I noticed on a cold ride this fall that the heated grips are still able to work through the extra insulation. Also, they used to spin fairly easily on the grips until I rode through a rain storm and then they shrunk a bit and now don't turn or move at all.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

4Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Re: Foam grips Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 pm

These are my favourite BMW-brand grips. I even use them on my Airheads, and whacked a set on a mate's diminutive 2010 Honda CB400-4 with great result. They have a larger feel in my hand than other types, are quite soft, ideal for long rides, and fairly cheap by BMW standards too. I also like their open ends so using a bar end weight is a cinch, and there's a heated version with the same ribs. I used to sell Pro Grips and they too make a variety of soft, thicker grip designs, especially the 'gel' type, and are easy on the wallet as well.
Foam grips Dscf0811

5Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Re: Foam grips Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I replaced the BMW heated grips on my K100RS with Pro Grip 713 rubber grips. They are very comfortable part due to the softness of the rubber compound used in the grips and part to the replacement of the RS bars with RT bars including bar-end weights. I can highly recommend them. The other model of Pro Grips that fit the K100 bars is the Model 699. You should be looking for grips that are 125mm long and 22mm diameter for the clutch side and 25mm for the throttle side.

6Back to top Go down   Foam grips Empty Re: Foam grips Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks Rob,

I was looking at their site and wanted to measure my grips over the week end. No need now.

Bert

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum