BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  Empty K100 MS3 Pro Conversion Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:58 am

Wiz

Wiz
Figured it about time I start a small thread on my custom K project now that it is running, and a lot of the big work is done.

Ill start at the beginning, I was browsing craigslist for cheap bikes, looking for something most would call a basket case, and I found one, it was a k100. Now, I had never heard of a k100 before but even in its sad state the unique engine placement caught my eye. 

Fast forward a week and it was mine for the grand total of 500 dollars. Here is what she looked like the day I brought her home.
Video here
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  08231910

I began taking the old girl down to the frame, inspecting as I went. Cracked intake boots, dirty throttle bodies, leaking fork seals, the works. I stripped the frame and painted it (intending to powder coat eventually) and I took the engine down too. Replaced rings, valve stem seals, lapped the valves so they sealed nicely again, painted the engine covers.
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  08281910
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  10311910
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  09191910
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  09161910

Now I am working on my Stand alone ecu conversion. Im using an MS3 Pro now and just recently this week I got to start it for the first time with the new ecu! It runs well and is looking good!
Video Here

Here I am working on getting an adapter made for my tps sensor.
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  10172010
Here is the MS3 pro mounted and with wires flying everywhere, most of them I wont be using, so I will remove them from the plugs and capping those off.
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  08102010
K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  08102011

Here are additional pictures, and some videos of the bike running in various stages. Here

Hope you enjoy my little project here, questions welcome if you want to know anything!'

Wiz

Last edited by Wiz on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  Empty Re: K100 MS3 Pro Conversion Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Interesting project.  It would be really helpful for others if you can detail the work you did/are doing to adapt the MS3Pro ECU to the K100 engine.  There have been other who have adapted the microSquirt to the K-bike but not the MegaSquirt.  Are you replacing most or all of the Bosch components on the bike? What about the Mass Airflow Sensor, what are you doing with that unit?  And the HES, are you using a standard unit or did you manufacture any special components to replace the BMW unit?  Inquiring minds want to know.

3Back to top Go down   K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  Empty Re: K100 MS3 Pro Conversion Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 am

Wiz

Wiz
@robmack wrote:Interesting project.  It would be really helpful for others if you can detail the work you did/are doing to adapt the MS3Pro ECU to the K100 engine.  There have been other who have adapted the microSquirt to the K-bike but not the MegaSquirt.  Are you replacing most or all of the Bosch components on the bike? What about the Mass Airflow Sensor, what are you doing with that unit?  And the HES, are you using a standard unit or did you manufacture any special components to replace the BMW unit?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Nothing particularly fancy with the HES. I purchased a kit from BSK speedworks that adapts the engine to a VR+Toothed wheel system, easy to use with any aftermarket ecu. Since I purchased mine by special order, they have added it as a kit to the website anyone can just buy for about 300 eur iirc.
I am using none of the OE wiring harness or engine control electrics.

So far, list of parts that I have used are as follows:

BSK speedworks Toothed wheel crank sensor kit

TPS Part number: Hundai 3517022600 (This fits on the stock 8v throttle body with no modification, the only custom part needed is a very simple adapter plate of approximately 1/4 inch thickness that cants the sensor forward so the sensor will work with the rotational range of the throttle body, alternatively one can use a set of 16 valve throttle bodies and tps sensor such as is used with the BSK speedworks kit)

Coolant Temp Sensor (exact same form factor and thread as stock, but is a single element unit compatible with modern efi): Bosch 0280130026

Intake air temp sensor: GM Temperature Sensor 25036751 (installed in a 3/4 NPT bulkhead fitting in intake manifold)

Coil pack: VW 4 tower wasted spark coil pack 032905106E (This coil pack fits rather well in the area that the OE coils did, is cheap, and has an igniter built in, greatly simplifying wiring, for any others looking to do this, for a higher price and less custom work, BSK speedworks offers a similar kit with mounting bracket and leads already included and ready to wire to any ecu) 

Plug wires: standard plug wires from a vw jetta

As for the airflow meter, its gone (for sale if someone wants it, good price too), I am using tuner studios ITB tuning mode, which uses a blended table of manifold absolute pressure (Speed density) and throttle position(Alpha-N), so I have a silicone 90 and a filter affixed to the airbox where the airflow meter would be. This tuning mode uses SD at low load, high vacuum engine states, and once MAP reaches 90% barometric (90kpa) it switches to Alpha-N tuning. The reason for this is because tuning with just SD leads to issue tuning WOT, as for the latter say~30% of throttle will have very little change in intake vacuum. IIRC, the 16valve bikes with motronic ecu's use this same type of tuning algorithm, as do many modern efi motorcycles.
Now, one could replace the airflow meter with a modern MAF and tune that way, but I elected to go with the ITB mode for a cleaner look and more flexibility with the tuning as Tuner studio has a dedicated mode just for that specific application.

For the MAP I have bridged all the throttle bodies balancing ports together and run those to the fuel pressure regulator (stock) and then to the MAP input on the MS3 Pro Evo, reason being it provides a better average of the whole system that just one cylinder, and smooths the input into the ecu.

Wiz

4Back to top Go down   K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  Empty Re: K100 MS3 Pro Conversion Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:23 pm

woodgeek

woodgeek
Wiz,
Thanks for going into great detail regarding your mods. Definitely following this thread with great interest as I need to get my $300 basket case on the road. 😎

5Back to top Go down   K100 MS3 Pro Conversion  Empty Re: K100 MS3 Pro Conversion Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:03 pm

Wiz

Wiz
@woodgeek wrote:Wiz,
Thanks for going into great detail regarding your mods. Definitely following this thread with great interest as I need to get my $300 basket case on the road. 😎
Thanks for the interest! I will probably make another post some time soon as I'm going to have some more time to work comming in the next couple days. Next thing on my agenda: mounting my new headlight bracket, and in turn my AEM cd5 dash to it, as well as my handle bar switches, the alternator exciter wire, a fuel pressure sensor, and I am going to be installing my experimental gear position switch circuit, and trying that out. I am planning to use this to show my gear on my dash, and allow starting with the clutch out in neutral.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum