BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Misleading Posting of Parts Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:49 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Background: Still working on my Silver K75 with the T-windscreen. Decided that I should go ahead and complete my parts acquisition by adding crash bars. Well I already had one, the left side in chrome. After checking with my local used parts guys I've been searching the web. Of course looking for the proverbial low ball deal. Used, Nada. So pony up and get a new one. Oh, and need to get the mounting bracket as well. There appear to be a number of them out there. And a lot of them showing a shot from the parts fiche. Max BMW is showing the mounting brackets as NA. Ugh. But hey one of my local shops, CalMoto, appears to have one in stock.  Hey a quick call and I can go and get it and lunch on the same ride.

Bottom Line: Well I get to the parts guy at CalMoto and relate what I'm looking for and asking if the one they have is painted or chromed. Priced at USD $155. it's bound to be painted. The chrome ones shown on MaxBMW's website are priced at $245. Whoops! CalMoto doesn't have one. The ad I picked up via Google was by BMW who apparently puts dealers' names on the info that google picks up. And a quick check by the parts guys indicates no availability in the US or Germany for the crash bar or the mounting brackets. I am told that with none available and the BMW service not showing the part as being on wait that they aren't going to be manufacturing any more. Oooh, no more manufacturing! Discontinued!! 

So does anyone out there have a right side Crash Bar for a K75?

2Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:09 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Motorworks UK have a used set $110 US ex VAT.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
46712315352 crash bar chrome?

Last edited by gorio on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Past lives
Kawasaki Concours
1976 BMW R90s
1975 Ducati 860gt
1992 Honda VFR750
1985 Honda VF750
1982 Kawasaki 750GPZ
1975 Norton 850 Commando

4Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Motorworks UK have a used set $110 US ex VAT.
Regards Martin.
Hi Martin, Ran out to https://www.motorworks.co.uk. But
the website doesn't show any.  They do have the ABS plastic
bits that sit on the front end of the case. Is there a special deal for buying 
from outside the U.K.?

Gorio, who is "They"? BMW or the local  shop. Is this Canada or the UK?

5Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:50 am

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
G'Day Mate,

Link for the used crashed bars on Motorworks is here  https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=40&Ct=OA&SbCt=BA_10_40_OA_20

You have to go into the 'Used parts' section of the Shop to find it.

Hope this helps.

6Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:28 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I have access to what's known internally in the dealer network as BMWDCSNet. If ever you have a need for an OEM part or short list of parts, send me a PM and I will check stock in the US warehouses (for motorbikes parts it's mainly New Jersey & California) and with BMWNA in the CDC, BMWAG's main warehouse in Dingolfing, Germany. I am unable to check an individual dealer's inventory. I also cannot check what is in stock in regional warehouses outside of the US, bar Germany. 

Kindly limit the request to number or a few numbers you are not having luck sourcing as I'd rather not have to wade through an arm's length of someone's casual wish list on my days off. Ta.
study

7Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:51 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:I have access to what's known internally in the dealer network as BMWDCSNet. If ever you have a need for an OEM part or short list of parts, send me a PM and I will check stock in the US warehouses (for motorbikes parts it's mainly New Jersey & California) and with BMWNA in the CDC, BMWAG's main warehouse in Dingolfing, Germany. I am unable to check an individual dealer's inventory. I also cannot check what is in stock in regional warehouses outside of the US, bar Germany. 

Kindly limit the request to number or a few numbers you are not having luck sourcing as I'd rather not have to wade through an arm's length of someone's casual wish list on my days off. Ta.
study
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

8Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:34 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Mick67 wrote:G'Day Mate,

Link for the used crashed bars on Motorworks is here  https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=40&Ct=OA&SbCt=BA_10_40_OA_20

Hope this helps.
Mick, Martin, thanks for the tips but I may be running into something like links from BMW. When I go to motoworks website and drill down to the used crash bars I find that you can't just order them like you do parts they know they have in stock, the message is:
"Stock of this item varies daily. Please call to check availability and condition"
So I sent them an e-mail. Perhaps that is the best way to reach them. International phone calls are somewhat problematic with time differences and all.

9Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Mick67 wrote:G'Day Mate,

Hope this helps.
Well this is ... whatever. I get the following error when I tried the link. And I've followed that link before without problem.
Error 502

Bad Gateway

DDoSX received an unexpected response from the origin for www.motorworks.co.uk

Some problem that's not obvious to me?

10Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:Well this is ... whatever. I get the following error when I tried the link.
Error 502

Bad Gateway

It's coming up on my Mac with no problem. Maybe your Caps Lock is on.

11Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
jjefferies wrote:Well this is ... whatever. I get the following error when I tried the link.
Error 502

Bad Gateway

It's coming up on my Mac with no problem. Maybe your Caps Lock is on.
Something more than that was the problem. I can get in now. Possibly someone had a gateway down.

Anyway I have possibly located a right side crash bar to go with the left one that I already have.
Now comes the issue of locating mounting hardware. Motoworks was showing some of those parts previously.
Now they aren't, possibly they were sold. But I'm seriously not a fan of Motoworks website.
Oh, well to continue the search. All I need now are the two lower mounts and the several
rubber mounted bolts. I am told the rubber mounted bolts are intended to be tear away
in the case of a crash. Search function on.

12Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:41 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, those rubber spacers are designed to break away in a crash. This is allegedly intended to protect the oil sump from damage as the mounting points in the sump cover are weak.

This has made me wonder, exactly what good is a crash bar that breaks away just when it's needed to protect the engine and the bodywork?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

13Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:56 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:Something more than that was the problem. I can get in now. Possibly someone had a gateway down.
Maybe it was left up, durn thing. They should just make them like turnstiles.

14Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Yes, those rubber spacers are designed to break away in a crash.  This is allegedly intended to protect the oil sump from damage as the mounting points in the sump cover are weak.

This has made me wonder, exactly what good is a crash bar that breaks away just when it's needed to protect the engine and the bodywork?
I'm told they are sufficient in parking lot tip overs. And that they are very useful for mounting extra lights on. But for protection there's case savers which can act as crash bars. They're sacrificial ABS plastic pieces that fit on the front corners of the engine. I believe Motoworks carries them as that was all I could find on their website for crash bars when I last looked.

15Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 am

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:
Point-Seven-five wrote:Yes, those rubber spacers are designed to break away in a crash.  This is allegedly intended to protect the oil sump from damage as the mounting points in the sump cover are weak.

I'm told they are sufficient in parking lot tip overs. And that they are very useful for mounting extra lights on. But for protection there's case savers which can act as crash bars. They're sacrificial ABS plastic pieces that fit on the front corners of the engine. I believe Motoworks carries them as that was all I could find on their website for crash bars when I last looked.

BSK do them here

16Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:36 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
While those bars might be adequate for a low speed parking lot drop, they didn't get the job done when I knocked my K75RT off the center stand in my garage. The mounts broke and the crash bar wound up tearing a fist size hole in the lower fairing on the right side when it broke loose from it's mount.

Not being the smartest person you will ever meet, I still have those useless bars on my RT in an expression of hope over experience. One difference this time is that I replaced the upper "break away" mounts with rigid mounts that I hope will be much harder to separate. I did this because the upper mounts are attached to sturdier points on the frame as opposed to the flimsy attachment points on the oil sump cover.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

17Back to top Go down   Misleading Posting of Parts Empty Re: Misleading Posting of Parts Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:00 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:
Not being the smartest person you will ever meet, I still have those useless bars on my RT in an expression of hope over experience.  One difference this time is that I replaced the upper "break away" mounts with rigid mounts that I hope will be much harder to separate.  I did this because the upper mounts are attached to sturdier points on the frame as opposed to the flimsy attachment points on the oil sump cover.  
Kind of wondered about that myself. Did you need to put a spacer of some sort between the crash bar and the frame mount, which is itself a bolt? Truthfully I've been running fine without crash bars and I have a second engine in case anything should be really destroyed. But had them on my older bike, Red, and being rather anal thought it best to outfit both in the same manner. Meaning what do you think would happen in a real crash with your configuration? Just curious.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum