BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
Today I put together a pack and tomorrow I head out on an 8 hour ride up to my camp in the Adirondacks in northern New York State.This is the first long ride of the season for me and the first long ride on the K100 since I did all the work needed to bring her back to life.It all started with a fuel pump fuse blowing . After leaving the bike sit over the winter I got into it replacing the fuel pump , fuel filter,the 4 pin connector ,front and rear brakes ,spark plugs,cleaned all the plug wire connections of corrosion , changed the oil in engine ,trans , and rear drive ,fixed the burned out bulb in the instrument light ,and last night replaced the bolt for the side stand. After a flawless 120 mile test ride yesterday the side stand came lose in my driveway as I was putting it down to park the bike.The bolt had fallen out Heading To The Mountains Dsc03013and it fell off the bike as I tried to put it down! Well,I decided that I wanted a new bolt so I bought a couple and turned down the ends on my lathe  to make that little pin at the end that sticks out. Got longer ones (I made a spare ) so I could ad lock washers to keep it tight and end up with the right length ,I also put some medium strength thread locker on the threads .So,now the bike seems ready for the trip. It's been two years since I took this bike on a road trip so it should be fun. I hope to return next week with a good road trip report .

2Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I should have such luck, enjoy the ride and stay safe Ed

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:50 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
cheers

4Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
I hope you find fair weather for your ride.
Can you post a video of you mounting the bike while your gear is piled on the back?   Wink

5Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Happy trails to you!
I am not sure at 5' 7" (1.7 m) I could even manage to get on the seat let alone balance a load that is taller than me.
You should hire your bike out as a packmule.
Take Care
Shep

6Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:55 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I hope your ride is a good'un. I recall some great riding roads snaking through Upstate New York from when I lived in New England (VT then MA) years ago. That rear shock must be set to max preload to handle your load. Never mind the naysayers, I reckon the Mighty 8V K can handle a fair bit, tractor-like in its torque delivery, and steady as she goes.

7Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty My Ride Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
It was a GREAT trip ! The bike ran great and I had decent weather. I put on around 1400 miles in the 6 days I was out with a 400 mile day going up and again coming home . I don't get it,what's the big deal about loading up your bike with the gear you need. All totaled my gear weighs under 180 lbs and half of that is down low in the boxes. It's like having a passenger on the back only better because it behaves the way I want it to.I don't do hotels I camp . Camping takes gear and the time and place I come from this is how it was done. For what it would cost to eat out rather than cook for myself and sleep in my tent rather than a hotel or motel I can almost triple the amount of time and the distance I can cover . At age 72 my pockets aren't deep enough to do that middle class thing with hotels and what not ,besides , I meet way more interesting people being out in the world at campsites rather than in some room.Motorcycles were made for this !Heading To The Mountains Img_5310

8Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:34 pm

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
"I don't get it,what's the big deal"
A few of us are just not as adventurous as you are.
Pleased to read your trip went well.
Shep

9Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
The issue that occurred to me was the challenge of getting on the motorcycle with such a high load on the rear.  With a 180 lbs. passenger, you simple ask that he/she wait to mount until you get in position on the seat.  Can't very well do that with camping gear.
I completely understand your love of camping, young man.  Really, I do!  Very Happy

10Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:33 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
See,I'm a tall guy and I can get my leg over the seat with my other leg on the ground so mounting and dis mounting isn't a problem.I've adapted to carrying gear . As you can see here I've been doing this a long long time.The red ?white YDS3 was in the 60's the red one was the late 70's ,the orange/white R5 was in the the 90's.Old School !  Heading To The Mountains My-yds10
Heading To The Mountains Up-in-10
Heading To The Mountains Dsc01210

11Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
YG you don't go camping you go up market glamping. I've reduced my camping to a compact artform. If needed I can get all my camping gear into one pannier. Piccie of bike set up for camping is the same as everyday setup. Lately I've changed a couple of things, I've upgraded the one man tent to a two man tent and dropped the Hootchee poles and bought a new mallet with a built in peg remover. The larger tent requires the poles being moved to the other pannier. 
Regards Martin.
Heading To The Mountains Motorc13
Heading To The Mountains P1300010

12Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
When younger we camped all the time, mostly boat camping on the barrier islands of the eastern shore.

I have reduced my camping gear to a small stack of paper and little plastic card.

I think I would do the camping thing if I stayed more than one night at any place but that never happens; Or if it didn't rain, snow, or get freezing cold at night but that seems to happen all the time. Plus my main riding partner (wife) has a strict no camping policy.

I did camp at a rally a few years ago but I just stopped at walmart and got some cheap stuff and left it at the camp grounds.

13Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
My wife loves camping under the stars as long as it's at least 3.5 stars but preferably 4.5. A long time ago at the start of our marriage she spent one night in a tent.
Regards Martin.

14Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:My wife loves camping under the stars as long as it's at least 3.5 stars but preferably 4.5. A long time ago at the start of our marriage she spent one night in a tent.
Regards Martin.

Camping gear? If you have good armored riding gear all you need is a one of those blue commie plastic tarps from Harbor Freight to keep the snow off. Park the bike, lay out the tarp, flop on the ground and fold the tarp over you. The gear will keep you warm and dry and cushion you from the rocks you're laying on. Saves a lot of set up and tear down time at the campsite.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

15Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:10 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
"YG you don't go camping you go up market glamping. I've reduced my camping to a compact artform. If needed I can get all my camping gear into one pannier. Piccie of bike set up for camping is the same as everyday setup. Lately I've changed a couple of things, I've upgraded the one man tent to a two man tent and dropped the Hootchee poles and bought a new mallet with a built in peg remover. The larger tent requires the poles being moved to the other pannier. 
Regards Martin."

Sometimes I go out for weeks or even months at a time on trips that allow me to stay places for a few days or longer.Everything I carry is necessary .When I went up to the Canadian Maritimes I was on the road for 5 weeks just wandering about enjoying my freedom. When I went out west  I was on the road 3 months and covered 14,000 miles .It's a little different when you live off your bike than going on a weekend or so long camping motorcycle trip.On those short rides you don't really need much But unless you are really wealthy on the long trips you need to be self sufficient and that requires gear,food,clothing,tools,and some spare parts so you can deal with anything that you have to out in the middle of nowhere. It's a whole different ballgame when you live off your bike for an extended period of time . So, sometimes when I go out on these shorter rides like last week I carry it all just as practice for when I go on the long ones.I do this to see what I can do without and what I need that I don't have. With any luck I'll be going on one of those 3 month rides out to the Western US and Canada i 2022. Looking for a riding partner right now but will go it alone more than likely.

16Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
If you get as far as Central B.C. you are more than welcome to camp in our backyard, winter, summer or in between.
Shep

17Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:34 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
Shep wrote:If you get as far as Central B.C. you are more than welcome to camp in our backyard, winter, summer or in between.
Shep
Thanks,I'll be up that way,I have a good friend in Salmon Arm that I will be visiting and going riding with

18Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:
MartinW wrote:My wife loves camping under the stars as long as it's at least 3.5 stars but preferably 4.5. A long time ago at the start of our marriage she spent one night in a tent.
Regards Martin.

Camping gear?  If you have good armored riding gear all you need is a one of those blue commie plastic tarps from Harbor Freight to keep the snow off.  Park the bike, lay out the tarp, flop on the ground and fold the tarp over you.  The gear will keep you warm and dry and cushion you from the rocks you're laying on.  Saves a lot of set up and tear down time at the campsite.
Before I required comfort,  it was a OZ army Hootchee and a ground sheet and sleep by the bike or car. I zig zagged from Melbourne to Cairns and back to Townsville with just a groundsheet  and a army mess kit and hexie stove. Had a couple of very wet nights. It took three weeks but one week of that was on Daydeam Island in staff accommodation. Beach camping was even simpler bury yourself in the sand.
Regards Martin.

Last edited by MartinW on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

19Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
"Before I required comfort,  it was a OZ army Hotchee and a ground sheet and sleep by the bike or car. I zig zagged from Melbourne to Cairns and back to Townsville with just a groundsheet  and a army mess kit and hexie stove. Had a couple of very wet nights. It took three weeks but one week of that was on Daydeam Island in staff accommodation. Beach camping was even simpler bury yourself in the sand.
Regards Martin."

When I was 20 Martin I did my first cross country ride on a Yamaha 250cc twin (YDS3) with my friend on the back .We had a plastic tarp we'd tie to the bike and stake in the ground with whatever we could scroung up.We had a frying pan to kook with ,our sleeping bags and one change of cloths each that got rolled up in the sleeping bag. The trip back east a year later was the same drill but with this girl I met in LA. When you're young you don't need what you need when you are old. With the age also comes the awareness of what can go wrong,what you may need to fix it,the need to get out of the weather and stay

dry,and so on.  Then & Now
Heading To The Mountains Img_2010
Heading To The Mountains Img_2011

20Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
"Before I required comfort,  it was a OZ army Hotchee
Asked the internet to define "Hotchee" but it couldn't do it!
Please explain.
Shep

21Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Different times, these days you'd either get hassled by the cops or mugged.  I never seemed to worry about sleeping on the side of the road, beach or railway station. I also had the advantage of Army gear and the occasional 24 Hr ration pack. Although I did do  Hootchee camping with the 75 a few years ago. Shep a Hootchee is the OZ Armies idea of a shelter a rectangular waterproof sheet in camo with tabs, eyelets and press stud that can be used in multiple ways. They can form an "A" tent or shade or be joined together. It's up the the individual and their imagination.
Regards Martin. 
Heading To The Mountains Dump_d14
Heading To The Mountains Dump_d15

22Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks.
Not so sure that it would keep the mosquitos at bay in Northern B.C.!
Shep

23Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The army issued mosquito repellent kept everything away, and could melt some types of plastic. Heading To The Mountains 652573 Read the instructions/warnings.  affraid
Regards Martin.
.Heading To The Mountains Oz_arm10

24Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Until I built my camper trailer in 2009 my wife and I used to park the bikes side by side with the side stand inwards then put a fly over the lot and sleep between the bikes. We did that for the best part of 35 years of travelling all around Australia.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

25Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:48 am

poddy

poddy
Silver member
Silver member
Yep still got my hootchie best tarp I've ever had has out lasted a lot of my other tarps.looks like you still got room for a  tank bag.
PS; If I remember correctly they stopped us using that mossie repellant cause it was castugenic (sorry can't even spell it, (cancer causing)

26Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Ah Haa that's why I grew the extra head. I had it cut off when we couldn't agree about anything. After applying as per instructions at sunset I also had a habit of howling at the moon. And it also melted a pair of my sunglasses lenses.
Regards Martin.

27Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty BMW Family - Est. 1978 Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:09 pm

tjh1985

tjh1985
Silver member
Silver member
My dad's love of motorcycles began as a teenager in Williston, ND in the late 1950's, but it was in Germany while serving in the Army in the early 1960's that BMW's captured his heart forever. The first thing my father did when he returned home was move to San Francisco, CA, got a job, and saved up for his first R series. This would have been his second one and it is of my older sister on the back of his beloved during a trip they took traveling to all the major national parks in the United States and Canada, camping wherever they decided to stop.

My sister and I grew up on the backseat of these bikes - It wasn't uncommon for me to wrap my arms tight around his waist and take a nap. We saw a lot of the world cruising with him.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f53/20/26/84/58/img_2810.jpg

http://www.thomashurst.com

28Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
yamaguzzi, are those the stock RS bars on your K bike ?

29Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
tjh1985 wrote:My dad's love of motorcycles began as a teenager in Williston, ND in the late 1950's, but it was in Germany while serving in the Army in the early 1960's that BMW's captured his heart forever. The first thing my father did when he returned home was move to San Francisco, CA, got a job, and saved up for his first R series. This would have been his second one and it is of my older sister on the back of his beloved during a trip they took traveling to all the major national parks in the United States and Canada, camping wherever they decided to stop.

My sister and I grew up on the backseat of these bikes - It wasn't uncommon for me to wrap my arms tight around his waist and take a nap. We saw a lot of the world cruising with him.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f53/20/26/84/58/img_2810.jpg
You were a lucky kid to have a father like yours ! My old man did one really good thing for me.At age 9 in 1958 he took me on a trip all over the country in a Cessna 310 twin engine plane for close to a month with the companies test pilot and his 15 year old son .We went all over the place and I've been a traveler ever since. That's a great photo you posted !

30Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
yankeeone wrote:yamaguzzi, are those the stock RS bars on your K bike ?
As far as I know they are stock. The bike came to me as a non runner with 12,000 miles on the clock so I assume they are original.

31Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Good you can still use the stock bars. I converted my RT to an RS and couldn't take the RS bars, so I took an inch and a quarter out of the rise of my RT bars and that works for me.

32Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:19 am

Dan Pete

Dan Pete
Silver member
Silver member
yankeeone wrote:Good you can still use the stock bars. I converted my RT to an RS and couldn't take the RS bars, so I took an inch and a quarter out of the rise of my RT bars and that works for me.

C bars are hard enough to come by these days, that I have thought about doing that as well. The S bars are not too bad, no farther than I ride, but a bit more upright would suit me better.

33Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:59 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A couple of our group have fitted bar lifts to their bars. A couple of us have fitted a second set of OEM bar clamps inverted on top of the triple tree clamps with longer bolts.
Regards Martin.
Heading To The Mountains Bar_ri12

34Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:45 pm

Dan Pete

Dan Pete
Silver member
Silver member
My 87 had the stock bars with a set of bar backs that raised thin a hair, and back a bit. But the stock S bars a slightly narrow and have my hand angled way too much. I never had my hands on c bars, so they may have too much angle as well. the 88 had RT bars on it when I purchased it way back when, but I reamed out the controls and used 7/8" bars... found dirt bike bars that did me well.
Ive got the stock bars back in stock location at the moment; the lean is ok for no farther than ridden, but hand angle will have to be addressed soon.

35Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Dan Pete

Dan Pete
Silver member
Silver member
Heading To The Mountains BY0dFyg6sdwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
My drafting skills are a bit better than this, But I have no clue how to explain all three dimensions in print! Best I can do. 1) is the stock bars with mild rise, mild pull back distance, but too much pull back angle.
2) is flatter, a bit more rise, and a bit more pull back distance, but keeping the hand angle less.

Hope the OP don't mind the rabbit hole I took us down!

36Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:38 am

Spexbike

Spexbike
Sounds like you're  going about it just the right way !!! Enjoy !!!goigSyamaguzzi wrote:It was a GREAT trip ! The bike ran great and I had decent weather. I put on around 1400 miles in the 6 days I was out with a 400 mile day going up and again coming home . I don't get it,what's the big deal about loading up your bike with the gear you need. All totaled my gear weighs under 180 lbs and half of that is down low in the boxes. It's like having a passenger on the back only better because it behaves the way I want it to.I don't do hotels I camp . Camping takes gear and the time and place I come from this is how it was done. For what it would cost to eat out rather than cook for myself and sleep in my tent rather than a hotel or motel I can almost triple the amount of time and the distance I can cover . At age 72 my pockets aren't deep enough to do that middle class thing with hotels and what not ,besides , I meet way more interesting people being out in the world at campsites rather than in some room.Motorcycles were made for this !Heading To The Mountains Img_5310

http://www.spextattoo.com/

37Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Great story Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:47 am

long way from home

long way from home
Fantastic, if I every get the US I would love to meet you.

38Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
long way from home wrote:Fantastic, if I every get the US I would love to meet you.
I would like that very much !

39Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:59 am

long way from home

long way from home
yamaguzzi wrote:
long way from home wrote:Fantastic, if I every get the US I would love to meet you.
I would like that very much !
Like wise, I have the same bike as you, silver RS, but currently I have the head off. I also bought two weeks ago a F900XR very different bike...

40Back to top Go down   Heading To The Mountains Empty Re: Heading To The Mountains Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:03 am

long way from home

long way from home

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum