BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Member intro Empty Member intro Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:20 pm

WANTaKbike

WANTaKbike
Hey everyone!

I'm interested in finding a used flying brick and I could use some help. 

About me:

-I'm 28 and I've been a licensed rider for 4 years and owned two bikes in that time frame. The first bike was a KTM 390 adventure and the second was a BMW R1250GS. I have since sold both of these bikes. I bought both of these bikes new and did all of my own maintenance on them besides the initial break in service and tire swaps. between the two bikes I rode about 20,000 miles. I did one long trip (15 hour trip from Grand Junction, CO to Dallas, TX) on the GS in winter, which was a very eye opening experience in my journey with motorcycling. I decided to sell the GS after realizing I didn't need a 25K motorcycle ( i did not finance this bike I purchased it with cash, no I'm not rich, I sold my truck and used the cash to purchase an older truck and new motorcycle). I really enjoyed the capability of the GS (did several offroad trips on it and loved it, but was feeling uninspired by the design and modern vibe. I want to purchase something older and really learn about bikes in a more involved way that is hard to do with all the tech on new motorcycles. 

-I'm interested in BMW motorcycles because growing up my mom was the GM of a BMW (Car dealership) but they always had motorcycles on display and I learned how to ride dirtbikes when I was little and always imagined myself owning a BMW motorcycle. I grew up looking at 90's BMW motorcycles when they were new and am sort of obsessed with that era. 

-I need some help deciding which K bike would be best for me. 

-I really enjoy the look and vibe is the 1995 k1100 RS, and the sport touring style of riding is what I found myself doing a lot of on the GS. I'm caught between the k75 models and the k1100 because I would also like to have a bike that could be converted to have spoked wheels and would be light enough to take offroad (no single track just fire roads and such). I know the k1100 would not be ideal for this use, but I like the idea of having something with a little more power. 

If anyone has any recommendations for specific models/ year of the k75 I would really appreciate it! I should also add that ABS would be an ideal feature for me, and I'm aware of some issues with the first gen ABS on the 1994 k1100 rs model. Please geek out and send and tell me everything I should know. Thanks in advance and I'm stoked to learn!

2Back to top Go down   Member intro Empty Re: Member intro Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:10 am

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome WantaKbike Smile

3Back to top Go down   Member intro Empty Re: Member intro Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 am

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Member intro 177912

4Back to top Go down   Member intro Empty Re: Member intro Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:31 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Silver member
Silver member
WANTaKbike
Member intro 177912 to this forum

Member intro 9438-010

5Back to top Go down   Member intro Empty welcome Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:30 pm

caveman

caveman
Platinum member
Platinum member
WANTakbike,
Welcome to the group. IMO the fairings on the RT, RS, LT and  75S models will shake apart quickly if ridden briskly on gravel or ruff fire roads. If you look around you can find some modified K bikes that look like they would do the trick. I have ridden many fire and gravel roads on my bikes but I take it slow and still had to pick them up from the front end washing out and will say the 75s is much easier to pick up, especially when carrying a touring load. If I'm guessing right your now living in TX, a full faired K would be a hot ride most of the year. But if you are in CO a naked bike would get cold in higher elevations.
Good luck, ride safe, and have fun!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum