BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
To resolve a clunk that had developed in Izzies front end when coming to a stop I invited Mick and SSD over for a mini workshop. Prior to the workshop I had chased the noise checking it over bumps no noise, checked the front brakes no slop, had SSD sit on the bike raising the front wheel while I pushed and pulled no noise. So with Mick and SSD in attendance and after doing a few stops in my garage the bike produced the noise. SSD suggested checking the steering head bearings everything seemed tight. However with Mick sitting on the pillion seat and me with a finger on the adjusting nut SSD proceeded to heave and push on the wheel.  A barely perceptible movement was felt. It was found the top locking nut was loose just over finger tight and after tightening and checking the clunk was banished. 

The next job was to check Micks centre stand which was very stiff in it's action. He said he had greased it but I decided to try greasing it again and found the grease was coming out of the side of the grease gun nozzle. Mick removed the grease nipples and flushed out the grease with WD40 while I cleaned out the grease nipples. One was blocked with this stringy looking stuff the other had solid muck in it which required a pick to get it out. Once cleaned and checked they were reinstalled and greased. Stand now functions as it should.

Next job was to tighten up SSD's sloppy 22 Lt top box. A couple of extra washers on the locking pin partially cured the problem. However it still rocked side to side so a couple of strips of 2.5 mm insertion rubber were hot glued on the underside of the top box where the box sits on the rack, problem solved. We then rewired SSD's LED light so that it went through the ignition switch only to find the light had an intermittent problem. Thanks Mick and SSD.

Jamie dropped in this morning while I was in the process of tidying up the dash wiring. He had his very clean Moto Morini 3 1/2 on his trailer very tasty. He had told me that my LH pannier was bouncing around when on a very bumpy undulating track on our last ride. So after he left out with the insertion rubber and hot glue gun and a couple of strips were glued into the recesses on both panniers where they hook over the rails. Now rock solid. It is really good how our group has come together and cooperates even with non bike related projects.
Regards Martin.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I had a similar problem with the top box and found that the original "spacing material" had deteriorated, so made a similar repair to yours.  

Good info regarding the steering head nut.   Cool

3Back to top Go down   SE Kweensland K Kronies Mini Workshop. Empty Workshop Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Bonus, good read. Usually when I read about the Kweensland workshops I think I wish we had some of them in Victoria. My panniers rattle too, I think I'll give that a try.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Once lockdown is over and Dan allows you to mingle you should try organising  a ViK  K WorKshop. Our Konsortium of K Kronie's started at a a couple and has continued to grow, it's probably now in the region of ten. I think everyone has benefited in some  way, whether it has been knowledge, parts, repairs, rides days or rally's and even home maintenance. 
Regards Martin.

Last edited by MartinW on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down   SE Kweensland K Kronies Mini Workshop. Empty Workshop Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:32 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Good idea.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Where in Vic are you located?
Regards Martin.

7Back to top Go down   SE Kweensland K Kronies Mini Workshop. Empty Work shop Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
About an hour north of Melbourne, Broadford.

I've found a way around Dan "don't get on the beers" Andrew's travel restrictions. Got a job as a truck driver. I'm clocking up more Kays now than before the lockdowns .... and ...  loving it.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I grew up south of you in Dame Edna country. I've got a son and partner plus two granddaughters in Morwell.
Regards Martin.

9Back to top Go down   SE Kweensland K Kronies Mini Workshop. Empty Workshop Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone who's a friend of Sir Les Patterson is a friend of mine

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I frequently spotted him in Puckle St shopping for Gladys for Dame Edna.
Regards Martin.

11Back to top Go down   SE Kweensland K Kronies Mini Workshop. Empty Workshop Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:55 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
They both done a lot of time in Melbourne cause they both got style. And they're both got a lot of time for the grand final, which is on today, but it's never been as far from Victoria as this year.

Sir Les:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl4ie3TaPGg

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Don't worry be happy, things will hopefully, eventually, maybe, possibly one day, year, century get back to a semblance of normal.
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum