BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Cold start!!! Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
Hi
My K100rt 84 has hard cold start any advice?
Thank you

2Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Because you have customized your moto, additional information is needed. Did you retain the increased start speed (choke) lever and its connection, the air flow meter, the throttle position sensor and the z-tube crankcase hose connection to the intake air stream? Have you done a valve clearance check and a throttle body balance? Have all the hoses and the fuel filter within the tank been verified in good condition, or replaced?

3Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
Yes I kept everything and fully serviced the valve clearance and throttle balancing left to check!Once she starts runs well?!

4Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Does the choke (fast idle) increase the revs once started? Try moving the lever past the first detent does this help?
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 am

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
Hi
Only when she starts warm up then gradually increases the Revs?!Any ideas?once she starts runs well!
Thank you!

6Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The electrical connector's contacts to the air flow meter could be dirty or the plug itself not connected tightly enough. Check it and clean it with electrical contact cleaner. The vane in the air flow meter (red arrow) might not be swinging smoothly enough and/or the air temperature thermistor (green arrow) might be dirty so its signal isn't correct. Gently push the vane with a dowel to its full range. It should move smoothly. Electrical contact cleaner could be carefully applied to both parts for cleaning and lubrication.

The air filter should be relatively clean and in good condition. The z-hose should be tightly connected and without cracks.
Cold start!!! K75air10

7Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
I solved cold start issue this morning with simple and easy action. Culprit was tank plug on the left underside. Try to squeeze four female contacts and clean with some deoxit or wd 40. Your bike was 84 with that early problematic four pin connector.

8Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:26 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
After a short failed start, I would pull the plugs and check their condition. Wet or dry? That will give you some idea of where to start looking.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
  Cold start!!! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

9Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:08 am

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
Hi everyone
So an update for my cold start I have checked the maf sensor it’s definitely working well because I started her and once she starts runs well and I watched it and it’s opening nicely when I was rev her!The tank connector it’s just working because the bike is running with an m-unit motogadget so the pump is running on ignition. I have replaced the coolant sensor and the first attempt to fire her up surprisingly she just started instantly I was so happy BUT next morning same issue 😡
I think she runs too lean because if I disconnect the sensor she fired up instantly but smoking?!
It’s annoying because when I managed to fire her up she runs nicely?!

10Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:23 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
As per Holister are the plugs wet or dry.

11Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:50 am

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
I only ask because it’s the sort of thing I’d do: if you can see the MAF operating, does that mean you have opened up/deleted the airbox?

12Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:20 am

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
I just opened it up to check it

13Back to top Go down   Cold start!!! Empty Re: Cold start!!! Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:21 am

Andrew sz

Andrew sz
It’s the original setup with new filter cleaned etc!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum