BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Possible coolant leak? Empty Possible coolant leak? Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:41 pm

aakprrt

aakprrt
I came back from a short ride Sunday and put the bike on the side stand. Instantly got about a 1/4 cup of liquid drip drip drip off the engine block, kickstand side. Was almost like water, slight blue tint. Stopped after a few minutes but I know it's still happening because there's still a damp spot under the bike, days later, and when I ran my finger over the area just now there were a few droplets.

I cannot for the life of my trace the origin point. Photo shows where the liquid is dripping from; it's not actually coming from anywhere near there as far as I can tell. Just the lowest point from the source...

Possible coolant leak? Img_0110

1986 K100 stock

Would really appreciate any thoughts.

2Back to top Go down   Possible coolant leak? Empty Re: Possible coolant leak? Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:55 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
To find the source, clean and dry a good sized area around where you suspect the leak. Get a can of spray talcum powder in your preferred fragrance and spray the area. The talc will help identify the source, however sometimes leaks may only happen when the engine is running. 
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Possible coolant leak? Empty Leak Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:49 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
If your coolant is say green or red, that's a good sign. Like water but slightly blue, hopefully it's just water from a nook or cranny in the fairing. Not familiar with that fairing but they're a good, mean look. It's always good to do the basic checks for coolant leaks anyway.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum