BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty fuel sender unit Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:17 pm

flea

flea
have the 1987 k100 rt , where is the best and cheapest place to buy a new fuel sender unit .. thanks

2Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
I find Motorbins  / Motorworks in the UK really good  5 to 7 days to get it to Brisbane Aus   

If I need something in a hurry it will be Munich in WA  normally 24 hrs  

When our Dollar was really good against the USA  I got some gear from EMC  

I normally try Graham at Bega  as well but I don't think he has any senders at the moment because I'm looking for one for the K1 barn find

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

3Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:06 pm

flea

flea
Matthew-Brisbane wrote:I find Motorbins  / Motorworks in the UK really good  5 to 7 days to get it to Brisbane Aus   

If I need something in a hurry it will be Munich in WA  normally 24 hrs  

When our Dollar was really good against the USA  I got some gear from EMC  

I normally try Graham at Bega  as well but I don't think he has any senders at the moment because I'm looking for one for the K1 barn find
thanks found 1 at motorbins but 200 euro plus shipping ... has to be a cheaper alternative ... surely has to be a after market one somewhere .. and who is graham at begs

4Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:31 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
They are special purpose, proprietary and becoming scarce so they will not be cheap.  What's wrong with the one you have now?  Can you refurbish it?

5Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:58 pm

flea

flea
robmack wrote:They are special purpose, proprietary and becoming scarce so they will not be cheap.  What's wrong with the one you have now?  Can you refurbish it?
this bike is no longer mine , i swapped it with a mate and still kicking myself ... have only seen photos of the unit but looks really crap / corroded with broken wires , had been in a tank of fuel so old that the slightist sniff made you want to puke ...so im trying to help him out as his first k100 ... would be easier to replace but after seeing new prices .. wow ... might be better to try to fix it .. if cant fix how hard is it to replace with another unit and  guage or just eliminate altogether

6Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Fuel sender Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:37 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
The fuel sender on mine was so rusty when I got it, you couldn't see one speck of shiny silver on the outside. Surprisingly it still worked. Maybe clean it up a bit and solder the wire back on, might be nothing else wrong with it. Maybe the brick only has a warning light but not the gauge.

7Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:08 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
See the fuel sender topic I wrote:  https://www.k100-forum.com/t9265-messing-with-the-in-tank-fuel-sender

If the wires on the resistance plate are torn up, then three's no repair for that.  Otherwise, the low fuel indicator should be operational, and hopefully the gas tight wire passthrough is still intact.  If so, then cleaning and refurbishing the unit is possible.

8Back to top Go down   fuel sender unit Empty Re: fuel sender unit Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:06 pm

flea

flea
thanks , good write up

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum