BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 3:29 am

Ohhimark95

Ohhimark95
active member
active member
Hello everyone. I am looking for some help and advice.

My 85 k100 suddenly stopped starting, no Crank, nothing happens when I press the starter button. The battery is fairly new, so I think the battery is fine. I jumped the starter with cables, the bike turned over and ran for a few seconds. 
What could be the problem ? 

Clutch switch?
Neutral switch?
Starter relay?
Or pinched handlebar wiring?

I would love to learn how to troubleshoot.
Thank you for your time.

Sean

    

2Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 8:41 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On the portal tab go to K100 forum tech page then to Miscellaneous then engine not running Fault finding. Its a PDF document so you can print it out and take it to the bike.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 2004 K1200GT 1998 K1100 LT, 1986 K75 GS.
    

3Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 9:14 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Is your bike a cafe racer or are we dealing with factory wiring?

Have you cleaned all the ground connections, both under the tank and on the side of the transmission?  Are the battery terminal connections nice and clean and tight?

How many miles on the bike?  Has the starter motor ever been cleaned?  A dirty starter or worn brushes will cause cranking issues.

Can you hear the start relay click when you push the start button? 


What do the lights in the instrument cluster do when you push the start button?  It's possible your ignition switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1991 K100RS


Past:
1988 K100RS SE
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

4Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 9:55 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Ohhimark95 wrote:I jumped the starter with cables . . .
What does that mean exactly?


__________________________________________________
1995 K75 81,000 miles
No Crank Usa-lo10
    

5Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 4:13 pm

Ohhimark95

Ohhimark95
active member
active member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Is your bike a cafe racer or are we dealing with factory wiring?

Have you cleaned all the ground connections, both under the tank and on the side of the transmission?  Are the battery terminal connections nice and clean and tight?

How many miles on the bike?  Has the starter motor ever been cleaned?  A dirty starter or worn brushes will cause cranking issues.

Can you hear the start relay click when you push the start button? 


What do the lights in the instrument cluster do when you push the start button?  It's possible your ignition switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
Hello, thank you for replying. This k100 has 45,000 miles on the clock, it also has stock wiring.

I just realized all of the "checking" lights on the dash are not turning on when I switch on the ignition

Is it possible if the kill switch is bad ?

    

6Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Ohhimark95

Ohhimark95
active member
active member
Laitch wrote:
Ohhimark95 wrote:I jumped the starter with cables . . .
What does that mean exactly?
I connected a 12v battery to the starter with cables. The starter turns over.

    

7Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 4:19 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Ohhimark95 wrote:
Point-Seven-five wrote:Is your bike a cafe racer or are we dealing with factory wiring?

Have you cleaned all the ground connections, both under the tank and on the side of the transmission?  Are the battery terminal connections nice and clean and tight?

How many miles on the bike?  Has the starter motor ever been cleaned?  A dirty starter or worn brushes will cause cranking issues.

Can you hear the start relay click when you push the start button? 


What do the lights in the instrument cluster do when you push the start button?  It's possible your ignition switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
Hello, thank you for replying. This k100 has 45,000 miles on the clock, it also has stock wiring.

I just realized all of the "checking" lights on the dash are not turning on when I switch on the ignition

Is it possible if the kill switch is bad ?
I have an 83 RS and if the kill switch is off then the dash lights are also off. So if the kill switch is faulty then all is dead!!! The kill switch is known to go faulty so maybe a replacement right hand switch gear is in order. Not expensive. Try www.kpartsholland.com www.motorworks.co.uk


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

8Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I would suggest making sure the battery is fully charged.  You didn't mention how old it is.  It may be a good idea to take it to a local auto parts store to have it load tested.  This will tell you if it is capable of putting out enough current(amps) to run the starter motor.

If you haven't already, check the ground connections on the frame under the tank and on the side of the transmission above the shifter.  These need to be clean.

While you have the tank off to check the grounds, take the cover off of the relay box and try to start the engine.  Listen for the start relay to click.  There will be two heavy wires connected to the start relay.  One goes to the battery and will have 12v on it.  The other wire gets 12v when you push the start button.  Check for that voltage and get back to us.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1991 K100RS


Past:
1988 K100RS SE
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

9Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty No crank Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Another quick check, turn the ignition switch to on. You should hear a faint click from the relay box, that's the load shed relay. If it doesn't click, look at the ignition switch. If it clicks, it's getting power from the ignition switch, then look at fuse one and the kill switch.



Last edited by daveyson on Tue May 10, 2022 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________
11/1985 bmw k100rt (late model)  Vin. 0090567
 ~120,000 km
    

10Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 5:24 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Moderator
Moderator


__________________________________________________
No Crank Eu-log10  K1100RS/LT - R1200RT - R1100RS (RIP) - Cagiva SST 350 Ala Verde - K75LT project - K75 Schurgers - K75S
    

11Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Tue May 10, 2022 8:19 pm

Ohhimark95

Ohhimark95
active member
active member
daveyson wrote:Another quick check, turn the ignition switch to on. You should hear a faint click from the relay box, that's the load shed relay. If it doesn't click, look at the ignition switch. If it clicks, it's getting power from the ignition switch, then look at fuse one and the kill switch.
Hello thank you for the amazing tips, I just did a quick test, the load shed relay does click, and the fuse 1 was blown. I put in a new fuse, the dash works busy now, but still can't start.

What do you suggest me to do next?

Thank you.

    

12Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty No crank Wed May 11, 2022 3:38 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Keep an eye out on fuse one, if it blows again that should probably be your new priority. Have you done many miles and then it suddenly stopped while riding, or worked well but now won't start? Have you done some recent work that might have caused the fuse to blow. Or an accessory switched on causing a short. 

Which lights come on with ignition, and starter button. 

Does it now crank but won't start?

If it doesn't crank, I'd use a computer safe test light to check for power at the starter relay, power at pin 30 even with ignition off, power at pins 86 and 87 with ignition on and starter pushed.


__________________________________________________
11/1985 bmw k100rt (late model)  Vin. 0090567
 ~120,000 km
    

13Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Wed May 11, 2022 11:04 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Ohhimark95 wrote:
daveyson wrote:Another quick check, turn the ignition switch to on. You should hear a faint click from the relay box, that's the load shed relay. If it doesn't click, look at the ignition switch. If it clicks, it's getting power from the ignition switch, then look at fuse one and the kill switch.
Hello thank you for the amazing tips, I just did a quick test, the load shed relay does click, and the fuse 1 was blown. I put in a new fuse, the dash works busy now, but still can't start.

What do you suggest me to do next?

Thank you.
try pulling in the clutch and attempt a start 

without neutral light activated it wont start , the clutch lever bypasses that function 

also check if it has a sidestand switch (later models only )


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%ONo Crank Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
    

14Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Thu May 12, 2022 7:55 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Silver member
Silver member
I just finished getting my 85 k100 on the road. Had the Exact problem. Replaced the fuse 1 and so far hasn't repeated itself. Been a couple months now. Not sure what caused it, just know its working now. Searched for cause with no results. Loaded up on fuses to carry on the bike just in case.

Bill

    

15Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Thu May 12, 2022 8:17 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy316 wrote:I just finished getting my 85 k100 on the road. Had the Exact problem. Replaced the fuse 1 and so far hasn't repeated itself. Been a couple months now. Not sure what caused it, just know its working now. Searched for cause with no results. Loaded up on fuses to carry on the bike just in case.

Bill
I had that problem one time too. Faulty fuse, not blown.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

16Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Thu May 12, 2022 9:28 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Silver member
Silver member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:

I had that problem one time too. Faulty fuse, not blown.
 I  had just purchased the thing. I got it home and it happened. Thought I had bought a POS.
Was very frustrating. Found the blown fuse replaced it and haven't had an issue since. Go figure...
In your case Olaf, did the fuse appear ok? If so that could have been a bear to troubleshoot!

    

17Back to top Go down   No Crank Empty Re: No Crank Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Yes the fuse looked ok and thats also got lots of posts too.

Fuse looking good does not necessarily mean its good. Common issue.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 49,840 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum