BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Centre Stand Alignment Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello All, just when it all seems to be going well .
I came home from a small ride, side stand down to open the gate, being lazy just pushed the bike in through the gate, put side stand down and realised that the centre stand has been rubbing on my back tyre. Now I can explain why the centre stand has been covered in crud, it's actually rubber
powder being rubbed off by the left hand side of the stand in the up position.
Ok what do I do, is there any way of re aligning the stand. I have Metzler Laser fitted about 500 klm ago, standard tyres, so unless the stand is bent
I cannot figure out any way to adjust it. My mate has oxy and big hammers if it helps.
Just when I thought it was safe to start planning a real trip, if I can find somewhere that's not under water.
Looking forward to sage advice.
Regards RT

2Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Re: Centre Stand Alignment Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
You just replaced your tire....
Are you sure that the person who replaced it didn't forget to re-install the spacer #2?
This would explain it.

Centre Stand Alignment Back-r10

3Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Re: Centre Stand Alignment Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Crazy frog
I should feel insulted as it was I who put the wheel back on, but given my tendency to forget things lately, I will be double checking.
I'm also thinking I might have a slightly warped wheel as I could not see a full rotation. Where is the wife when you need her.
RT

4Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Re: Centre Stand Alignment Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm

I had a squiz at my centre stand to tyre clearance and there's at least 13mm between them on the left hand side. I have a 140/80VB17 Metzeler ME880 on there, and my wheel is the same as in CF's provided parts catalogue illustration. The shim will certainly have an affect on the space. Perhaps the Lasertec has a more pronounced sidewall. I reckon the left stand 'leg' can be bent outward just slightly, but may not clear the exhaust so well, depending upon whether it's an aftermarket variety or not. My Motad exhaust allows the left had leg to run right into the exhaust, didn't align with the rubber pad any longer, and the centre stand didn't fully retract because of it. I had to 'clearance' it slightly with a large hammer and a good attitude.

But, but wait a minute, wouldn't leaving the spacer out only add 2mm to the distance!?

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deductive reasoning.)

5Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Re: Centre Stand Alignment Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Have a really good look at the stand legs. The older types can corrode and break just below where the little triangle bracket is fitted. Many people have dropped the bike or went down with it when it happened. I'm sure there are posts on here about it. I can imagine that the bottom part of the leg misaligns similar to what you are describing before it snaps. Not trying to get you nervous, but have a good look!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Centre Stand Alignment Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   Centre Stand Alignment Empty Re: Centre Stand Alignment Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
HHHMMM The spacer is there, now I am nervous, but had help to look at it rolling and apparently I have a 2mm gap at rest. I cannot see any rub marks on the tyre yet but it is too close. I better get the stand off and check. The Laser tyre does seem to have a big edge on it, guess I should lean more.
Thanks men.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum