BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty dash bulbs Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:21 am

One of the green bulbs on my bike has burned out and another has a poor connection. Is it possible to remove the dash on a RS to replace the bulbs without removing the fairing? Which bulbs do I need?
What other maintenance should I perform whilst the dash is apart?
Thanks, Martin

2Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am

barryt

barryt
Silver member
Silver member
Sure it is Martin...peace of cake...Wink

I've removed my instrument cluster about 10 times now with my speedo issue...I reckon I can now do it blind-folded and one hand tied behind my back...Wink

To get to the bulbs you are quite correct in saying you need to remove the instrument cluster.

Get the bike on the centre stand, and turn the handle-bars to the extreme left (or right depending on where you want to start).

Then, on the underside of the instrument cluster, remove the TWO allen-key bolts holding the cluster to the backing plate.

(Don't drop the bolts and / or washers as they come out - it will be a barrel of laughs trying to find it again somewhere down in the fairing...Wink

Then, turn the handle-bars to the extreme other end.

Remove the other side TWO similar allen key bolts.

Your instrument cluster will now be loose and you can lift it up (gently)....

As it comes up, you will see the wiring loom going up into it (which will stop you from pulling the instrument cluster off the bike completely).

You will see a cover plate going over the plugs for the wiring loom going into the instrument cluster.

It is held ther me with ONE phillips screw (star?).

Undo it with a screw-driver, and once again, avoid that barrel of laughs mentioned earlier.

The cover plate over the wiring loom plugs should be free and you can remove it (you might have to pry it off slightly off the wiring loom itself at the bottom).

Then gently unplug both connectors off the instrument cluster which are now exposed.

Your instrument cluster is now free in your hand to carry to your workbench or wherever to get at the globes.

Don't DROP it! ... Wink

Once on your workbench, lay it face down (clocks down) onto a clean towel or something clean.

Undo the various phillips (star?) screws at the back.

Remove the back of the instrument cluster (be careful not to break the gortex rubber gasket if there is one - it goes around the circumference of the instrument cluster to seal the moisture out).

The internals of the instrument cluster are now revealed.

Next remove the various phillips (star?) screws holding the internals inside the instrument cluster housing - you want the whole lot to come out.

When you've done that, you should be able to simply lift the internals out of the housing as a single unit (you will need to however hold the trip reset knob at the side of the instrument housing as far out as you can get it, otherwise you won't be able to lift the internals out).

You may actually need to remove the trip reset knob at the side of the instrument cluster first. Which is easy, just keep pulling (or prying gently with a screw-driver) until it pops off! (Not the best way, I admit, but what other?). You might hear a small "crack" which will give you heart-failure that you broke and smashed something, but not to worry, it's 99.99% likely all you did was snap the clip off inside...which is no problem to replace later (you won't have to buy a new one)...relax...Wink

Once the internals are out, you will see the various places where the globes are kept - gently pry out the relevant one (upwards toward you from the back) and repalce as necessary.

Regards,
Barry

3Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hey Martin, check out K-BIKE'S write-up about replacing the instrument bulbs with LED's.

Last edited by blakey on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phat phingers)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is some pictures of the transformation. (I was reading a post about it on a French forum and this is the pictures that the member posted)

dash bulbs Img_0012

dash bulbs Img_0013

dash bulbs Img_0014

5Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Whilst blue looks fancy it is the worst colour for vision, green or red being the best (it is all due to the sensitivity of the eye to different wavelength light. Drake Smith sells the kits and has experimented with all sors of colours. Green LEDS really are excellent, I put the change over of the bulbs down as the best conversion I have done.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm red/green colourblind thought they were all white.
Don't ride with me in suburbia HA.
RT

7Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
RT wrote:I'm red/green colourblind thought they were all white.
Don't ride with me in suburbia HA.
RT

lol

8Back to top Go down   dash bulbs Empty Re: dash bulbs Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for posting the pics!

OG

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]