BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dnkn

dnkn
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to motorcycles, even newer to BMWs, but I've read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (ZATAOMM) by Robert M. Pirsig at least a dozen times over the last 30 years, and the way the author describes a long distance road trip on cycle always had strong appeal to me.  So finally, about 5 years ago, I got my license and bought a small cruiser.  I loved it for about 2 hours, and then my back started to hurt.  Then I watched Long Way Round, and immediately started looking for a GS.  I sold the cruiser, and bought a 2005 R1200GS with about 30k, and I've been back and forth to both coasts with it.  We just hit 60k.  I love that bike and will probably just get another one when it finally can't take me places anymore. 

Fast forward a few years, I got the bug to fix up an old BMW.  In ZATAOMM, Pirsig uses a motorcycle as the literary device to illustrate two very different viewpoints people adopt when observing the world around them.  Some see outward appearance and symbolism (romantic), while others see underlying form and function, how it works and what it's for (classical).  As a classical character the protagonist speaks extensively of the freedom and agency that comes with understanding your machine, doing your own maintenance and repairs, being able to troubleshoot systems, etc.  I've been an IT professional in the past, and more recently an electrical systems technician, so that world view resonates with me in a big way.  Pirsig drove a 1966 Honda Super Hawk, while his romantic POV drummer friend who accompanies him on his travels rides the BMW R60 because of its reputation as being dependendable and worry free, a bike you could ride forever without having to understand much about underlying form and function, maintenance and repair.  Ironically, I now have 3 BMWs, the 2005 R1200GS, and two project bikes, a 1986 R80 and a 1985 K100RS.  The latter of course is what bring me to this forum.

I got the K last spring from the original owner.  He took it apart to give it a good cleaning and never put it back together.  That was about 20 years ago.  I stashed the bike and boxes of parts, and then got too busy with life.  I decided about a month ago that I probably didn't have the time or expertise to bring this bike back to life, so I started pulling everything together to sell.  As I looked through the boxes, I started see how everything went back together, and I guess I was reinspired.  It's coming along now.  I replaced a few parts, and I'm sure I have a few more to go, but I'm pretty confident that I can make it a pretty cool cafe/scrambler/lookingcoolaroundtown cruiser.  I'll get into more details in another post about what I've done so far, what I have left, and issues I have along the way.  But I can see from the reading I've already done that this forum is a fantastic resource.  I look forward to sharing this project with everyone, getting your advice and feedback, and hopefully contributing myself as I'm able.

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
G'Day and welKome Jacob,

I also read the book when a young fella, also another called 'Jupiters Travels' the name of the author eludes me. Must admit, I probably missed much of the symbolism and philosophy and focused on the process, so might be worth another read to delve deeper, if the brain is capable.

There won't be much you find on your bike that is not covered here. The group is very knowledgeable and happy to share/assist.

Cheers,

Mick

dnkn

dnkn
Ted Simon ... He rode all over the world on an old Triumph back in the 70s.  He did it again on a BMW ... I think an 1150GS, when he was 70 years old and wrote another book, "Dreaming of Jupiter".  Both pretty good reads.

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hi dndk, Reading your initial post i was impressed with your knowledge/skill level until, cafe/scrambler appeared. Only once is something ORIGINAL. The Ks are disserving of this and no matter how clever or different the build they fail.Would it not be a head turner to retain the beauty and style of its originality. cheers cheers

dnkn

dnkn
I've read enough on this forum, I saw that coming.  But I'm glad you arrived at a more realistic appraisal of my knowledge/skill in the end.  

Seriously, I just want to get the bike road worthy at this point.  I do have all the original body parts.  Albeit rare, I have been known to change my views on things occasionally.  There was a time when I didn't like scotch...  So who knows what might happen with this old K?  Just don't get your hopes up.

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome Jacob (with a K Very Happy )

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
hi Jacob

New Member Introduction - Jacob from Wisconsin 177912 here
and good luck with your K

New Member Introduction - Jacob from Wisconsin 9438-010

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Jacob, Welcome! If it was me I would get it back to original condition before going cafe. As stated it is only original once. I gotta say, I love my 85K100rs as stock.  Handles  great and fast as I need to go.

TimK100

TimK100
Welcome Jacob. Tim, also from Wisconsin, I also have an 85 K100RS. Great bike. Enjoy

Bernie_K100

Bernie_K100
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Jacob,

New Member Introduction - Jacob from Wisconsin 177912 to this forum!

Bernie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum