BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Rear brake light switch Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:04 am

J3ff

Mine has been working on and off for ages now, but finally gave up last week. Went to BMW in T.Wells and bought a new one, but when I got home and had a look at replacing it, it's the wrong one. but here's the rub, I've looked everywhere on the internet for one that looks similar but can't see one. Does anyone know if there were early switches? Here are three pictures showing the new one and the old one in situ.-

New brake switch
New brake switch against original
closer pic of original

It looks like the original switch is actually up underneath inside footrest plate itself.

Can anyone help shed any light on this little problem?

J3ff

2Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:53 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, sorry original switch pic are blurred, but as per real oem both front and rear are the same part number 61311459569. Try and take clear close ups of both parts side by side.
Best regards
JAP

3Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 pm

J3ff

Ok, so now it's looking more like a previous owner did a botched job -

Rear brake light switch J3F_4195
Switch as it was

Rear brake light switch J3F_4196
Switch with the 2 leads pulled off
Rear brake light switch J3F_4197
Switch gunk cleaned up a bit

Do I bother scraping off the black 'araldite' hoping that there's some thread to screw the new switch into? or get a new footpeg carrier plate from Motorworks for £33

4Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:32 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I would clean it up and try to fit the new switch and get a large pineapple or road cone to shove into the previous owner.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Laughing That's a good one!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Rear brake light switch Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 am

J3ff

Well the story so far is… If I was going to be working on the bike doing the switch I may as well order a new clutch cable (starting to fray and getting really stiff) picked that up from BMW Tun Wells and rode the 30 mins to a friend's workshop. took the fairing off, tank etc. and offered up the new clutch cable to find out they'd given me a choke cable!!! rung them up, no they don't have one in stock etc… getting that tomorrow hopefully Grrrr.
So set about digging out the brake light switch, had to drill the plastic and brass out, but after doing that and scraping all the aluminium fur out that had built up, the new brake switch went in a treat, screws down and works absolutely perfectly.
Just got to sort the clutch out and all will be sunny again.

7Back to top Go down   Rear brake light switch Empty Re: Rear brake light switch Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Why don't you keep the old clutch cable nicely tied to the new one?
You can tuck the ends under the tank. If the new cable brakes, you just have to reattach the old one and you will be able to ride back home.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum