BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 20]

charlie99

VIP
VIP
sure will og ....just got busy with the monkey nuts, the old ones werent bad at all ...???

but i put some antisieze on the altenator bolts so should be easyier to do it again sometime .l...dang i hit a couple of tight ones ....about to start her up just now .

no clunks or bumps ....i quess i did good .

well ill be ....i didnt think that so little difference in the rubbers would make such a difference in the noises from the alternator area.....amazing !!

but did notice some oil vapour residue from alll the likely places (well for a beast this old anyhow) sump breather ...slight , starter drive and alternator drive seals ....but did a bit of a clean up while there so should be able to notice anything new ..

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yay finally won a ebay thing !!!! (finally broke the drought )

got these to carry some work stuff around ...(pretty hard to fit my laptops into the standard cases )
im hoping that they fit up ok and plan to repaint them the same colours

along with some form foam inside to position it all so the lappys dont jiggle around too much . cool project ...

hmm keys ....didnt think of that .....doh !!

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Kgrhqu10

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice one Charlie, a set of city panniers.

BIG D

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You nearly didnt win them Charlie I was eyeing them off and decided not to take them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Cool colour Charlie, I'd leave them, Ulrich might make you an offer. I'll have to find out how you won ebay, I used Sniper last time and still lost. Just about to try and find a bike lifter there this creeping around on my knees
reminds me of catholic school.
RT

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks guys ...missed out on the calipers ,,,old motor and other stuff ..

but ill be pleased if they found a nice home

i guess i got lucky this time rt .....thanks k freak ...were all still trying to find blakey a resonable set of touring cases .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I gave up trying to find a good set years ago, thats why I used those top boxes and I have done the same for the K11.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
The search is as good as over for my panniers. I placed a wanted ad on the ADVrider website and got a message from a guy in Melbourne. 200 clams, so I'm happy with that. I'll tart them up and see how they look.
Thanks guys for keeping you eye out for a set.
Oh yeah, I saw those too on ebay Charlie! It's a bit of a buzz when you win something! They look good!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Goodonya, Blakey! It's said patience is a virtue, but having patients is a waiting room.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 44271 lol @ twb ...

cheers blakey mate ...thats brilliant news huh ?

im reminded of that pic of the parking lot at urunga and another panieer member ...cool

hope to see them at araluen ...or before on the way down to denman

RT, my ex-wife was a 'recovering' Catholic. Man, the guilt over anything and everything used to get to her (and me) in ways unimaginable. She was good on her knees though.

Charlie, those City Cases will snap right on the very same way that original panniers do. I couldn't see them clearly but they look like they take the flat keys which are hard to use and as rare as rocking horse pooh to find these days. Way cool colour though!

My 4.5x18" rear wheel, centre stand, side stand, BMU, dual hi/low horns and wheel bolts & centre cap turned up at work yesterday. The cardboard box was ripped open exposing the packing materials to the world, but nothing was missing. This arvee after work I whipped off the old, tired Metzeler Z6 Roadtec (all the way from Germany with German soil embedded in the tread and no one at customs noticed...I coulda started a potato farm) and am having them painted a glossy black 2Pak in our body shop. I didn't whack it on a scale but a 3 spoke wheel feels lighter than a 4 spoke Y wheel. I think a mate in Amorica has a proper four-bolt brake disc, 3 spoke front wheel for me. If it's true I'll be laughing, and with the K1100 TBs and four-piston Brembos I'll be stopping and going.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sweet ....thats great news twb ....ima thinking i better bring home that aluminium for the tps backing plate mod .. it shouldnt be hard at all ...but not having seen the 1100 setup hmmm ...i think a few pics might be a good thing as we go along huh ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work on scoring the bags guys! Cool I really like the smaller size of the city bags too.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
smaller ??? what the ? i was thinking and hoping they were taller than the standards ...omg !!!

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Kgrhqi10

0.7 cubic feet capacity. That's about 19 litres and a bit per side.

This is from a brochure advertising them back in the early '90s..."Small is beautiful. The BMW City Cases are just as handy and compact as a briefcase, making them virtually ideal for the office. The City Case is suitable for short tours as well."

There ya have it. Small, mate.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cool cool ...i just hope my old toshiba (12"screen fitts in with a couple of inches each side for foam ) ...still looks higher/taller to me ...dont care about the depth ...thanks for the update twb

19" across, mate. She should fit.

I'll get the K1100 TBs cleaned up tomorrow and check out the TPS mount and the difference between the two.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
was waiting for my motor works order to arive .....but a dismal and windy day here on saturday ...

i started on the front master cylinder .

tank off to save the paintwork .

it all went well but noticed that there was corrosion in the bore ...about at the interface of the "rear seal " of the piston

i relinished the bore with 1200 wet and dry on a piece of dowl and got a near clean look along the bore .

i know ill be back in there in the comming months as i should have replaced it .....but i dont have any leaks at the moment ....yippee

i guess ill have to go for a burble today and check her out .....of corse nebo and glorious comes to mind as the brakes are high requisites along that path .....

have fun blokes ....cheesy grin

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work mate! Smile Keep us posted on how long that stays dry for you? I guess I was just ignorant about how sensitive the little buggers can be about sealing properly.

OG

My master cylinder's available, Charlie, if you need a good one for a while.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks twb ....its all good ...so far....no leaks ....but history has told me wait a week and see then .

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
We'll i've got both fingers and toes crossed for ya mate!

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks mate ...appreciate it

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Murphy's Law says it will leak two days before the Araluen trip...affraid

I'll pack the spare I've got now... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil One can never be too careful.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol ...your probably right blakey .....giggles

you know mrs murphy always thought murphy was an optimist hey ?

aww your bloods worth bottling ...you guys blow me away with the kindness and good thoughts ....bows humbly (looks round for a bottle to hold brake fluid )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Charlie how many times have I said you have to STOP drinking brake fluid.Laughing

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 44271 I think that's Coke......a Cola, that is.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 44271 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 178468 oh shoot ! the secrets out .....giggles

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wohoo got my motor works package ...i got rubber bits and threaded adjusters, ring type clips and stuff ....

hmm still thinking about the 1100 throttle bodies ....saw more than a couple for $50 us

wont replace the tb rubbers till i make a descision

and the throttle cable can wait till then (more a backup than anything needed right now )

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Outstanding mate! Why the 1100 tb's... you thinking about a brake change?

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no og .....just the reports from twb and others about the performance change by using them k1100 throttle bodies kinda tweeked my imagination ....and it doesnt seem to be a hard thing to do .....will be working on a solution for the tps switch change between the 2 i guess (not that mine is active these days ) an adaptor is required from half moon tps of the k100 to the blade type actuation lever of the k1100

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
I've just been out of the loop mate with work and schooling. Sounds very cool and I'll have to find the posts when I get a chance. Have you had a chance to do any resto on your new bags yet?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there about 900 ks away mate .....the seller is going to bring them up here to a swap meet near our area ...i have a mate who will be going to that meet ...as me and the other aussies will be down on our "araluen meet up" at the same time 29th -31st next month so i havent even seen them yet ...i was going to head down and pick them up ...but work has held me back abit ..

tommorrow some of us locals are having a mini meet up in the country ... alby ...twb ...kfreak and me .....were heading up the mountins for a bit of lunch ....twb to do a run with his new tbs (oops and new brakes ) ...alby for a shake out run ...after his camshaft fix ...kfreak as a prep to go riding again after his wrist op ....and im just along for the fun of it all ......going via the back roads as there is likely tons of traffic around here at the moment (school holidays + the area we are heading to has a festival this time of year ) should be a good day out ...first time meet up with alby for me

but well keep you in the loop mate ....hows the study going ?

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote: ...as me and the other aussies will be down on our "araluen meet up" at the same time 29th -31st next month

Take some pics and post them up for the rest of us who can only dream of riding in such places.85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 502531

88KE

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
88 ....mate, when it happens ...there are all sorts of surprises in store

the trip itself ....as far as us queenslanders is concerned has been kinda broken up .....a few of us have decided to get an early start on things ....for many reasons ...but in essence well be meeting up at denman (new south wales ) after a 900 killometer odd ride south ...staying overnight ...then heading out to conqour the valleys and highlands of the great dividing range around the "back of sydney area " then divining our way through the mountain passes of oberon south to the highlands of goulborn and then to our destination (another 800 killometer venture) im sure lots of pics will emerge .....if i can remember to take the old camera off "macro mode "...... grin

it sure is a great place ...and at that time of year im sure alll the blooms and scenery will be awesome .

right now we have made a meetup kinda local to us "south east queenslanders" the temps were in the mid 30 c area ...quite hot for here this time of year .....im kinda fearfull of what that means closer to christmas

if any of you guys get the chance to get here im sure we could accomodate with a tour of our local aera ... bookings required ....giggle

maybe we might have to think of a "group donor bike" a "k " of corse for all you tourists ...

we have had "visitor cruises " before and i think they went off really well ....ask "clubc" ...a canuk... that is a nice guy as well ...and all the fellow members here that really made the day ...to make the event happen .

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
re tarting up ...just thought to share the black paint around the head area small project i started ....

just to be different i thought to reverse the colour code normally applied to the crankcases / head area ....

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur23

what do you think ...?.

(looks far better by day )

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Lovely - that is what i'm planning to do during winter, good to see what it looks like.
Thanks

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:re tarting up ...just thought to share the black paint around the head area small project i started ....

just to be different i thought to reverse the colour code normally applied to the crankcases / head area ....

what do you think ...?.

(looks far better by day )

I like that look Charlie99.85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 112350 - Been thinking of doing the same myself. Did you/Will you lacquer the bare metal part? If so what product will you use?

88KE

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi 88 ,,,i used some clear acrylic (clear coat) over the painted sections the keep the alumminium bright and shiny ......the long term plan is to polish up the head a little more so the amount of clear used on the rest is only sacreficial at the moment (only about 1 coat)...3 over that newly finished area....must get myself a buff wheel .

but the idea turned out ok ,i wanted to break up that huge amount of aluminium down both sides of the bike .

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
tee hee

me thinks that your downpipes are going to need a bit of a polish as well when your sat down there! There was so much crud on mine that i attacked mine with 320 grit wet and dry in the end working my way up to 1200 grit....me thinks i am going to invest in a bench grinder with polishing wheel when i am back in the new year!

Have you painted the front panel's 6 stripes black?

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 16904285 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 169034

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm was wondering about that twincarb....but slowly slowly mate.

yeah there is a fair amount of crud down there ....but i just got back from another ride ...earlier that day ...(see the se queensland thread )

since i got the bike...nearly 10 months ago, ive nearly put 9000 k s on her ...so almost every week i get to go for a short "clear the head" ride at least so always picking up road debris...just a few short months ago they were purdy shiney but were quite discoloured before i got her ....

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice mate! Reminds of a Bugatti race engine. Cool

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i guess im just too predictable og ....heheh

but i really like the look of aluminium .....in small doses .....giggles

i better be carefull or i'll end up doing them all black like yours ?

perhaps red ....even !!!!

red things go faster ...(only in my imagination )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"red things go faster ...(only in my imagination )"

Mine too...

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i found a metal polishing kit on a day off yesterday ..i had originally planned to do the frame locks on the panieers ....but i got distracted ...so pulled the back wheel (checked the drive shaft and re-lubed it)

but got into a bit of metal polishing as a try out ....the front section of the staintune has always been quite discoloured , so i thought to test the kit out .

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur24

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur25

seemed to work out ok

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Now it's too shiney...

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
splash of paint time

first coat on the wheel

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur49

saw blakeys panieers the other day ....they looked great

thought to copy his "refreshing " so took to the city panieers with a little bit of bumper black .....looking better ..

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur50

still have to come up with the colour for the lids ... i had thought to put something on besids a solid colour ....maybe a same as tank colour but with some motiff ??? hmm.... ideas guys ????

better get that wheel finished ...the old shinko rear is just hitting the wear limits 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 Pictur51

after 11,000 odd k s of road work (now 177,111) the race is on to find a centre stand setup to allow the massive rear tire to fit in ....still a bit worried by the 20 odd mm offset of the new wheel, it will fit in but hmmm the centre line will be off a little in comparison to the regular 3 inch rim setup

i have a new shock on the way ....just waiting for it to arrive ...youll have to wait to see

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Tough call on the colour for the pannier lids!

You may have to paint one black the the other the same colour as the tank/fairing and add a motif.

Post a photo of each side of the bike to see what the collective thinks.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
"the old shinko rear is just hitting the wear limits" What! It's not even showing canvas yet.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 2 44271 ....lol yeah its still got 3 or 4 mm of centre groove ... good for another 5000 huh ?

not bad for a <$90.00 tyre methinks

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum