BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Off to Oz in March Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I thought I'd posted this already, but it seems to be MIA, so I'll post again.

My family and I will be in Oz, specifically the east coast, starting the third week in March. I thought it would be fun to meet some of the members of this forum while in Gold Coast/Brisbane. Would there be an evening on the 21st or 22nd of March that would work for anyone? Also, it might be nice to have bragging rights back home that I rode will in Oz. Is there a decent motorcycle rental shop in this area where I could obtain a bike for an afternoon?

2Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there are bike hire places club c ......ill look around ...as i havent had the pleasure of hiring one lately ....i know for a fact that there is a wide variety with some awesome machines available as well .
not sure about after noon rides ...most quote full day .

a quick search brought up http://ozmoto.com/ (bmws available )

would be good to meet up somewhere

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:56 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, that one looks pretty good.

4Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Ok Virtual Down Under Friends, I am planning an Oz day ride from Brisbane on March 23, hiring a K1200RS. Charlie99 is in, and been a great help getting my head around what to do. Does anyone else have an interest in riding along? The start will be at the OzMoto HQ (12 Cornwall Crescent Brisbane QLD 4161) (where ever that is...) and charlie99 is suggesting the "circuit over numinbar valley "that twb wrote up" might be more suitable as it would give you time to hone in on the left hand side riding on the way to the turn off point (about 80 kilometers of 6 lane hiway ) then up the hills sort of with a stop off in the rainforest and back by secondary roads to the hiway round trip about 300k the first 80 in about 3/4 hour the second hundred in maybe an hour 30 and the last 100 in maybe 60-70 mins ,,,,,um about 3.5- 4 hours".

Other possible meet points along the way for a partial ride: "nerang at the west nerang shops, then murwillumbar ..moobal ...cabarrita,,,and then "the spit" at the gold coast should give you some coastal riding although it doesnt wind along the shore line ...then brissy again".

I know several of you are in the area, but not sure if you have the time or interest.

Let me know if you want to play. Start time pending, likely 1100hrs-ish.

5Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:27 am

12 Cornwall Crescent is actually Capalaba, a suburb of Brisbane off Old Cleveland Road, just South of the city and right near the M1 Motorway, no worries. But the 23rd of March is a Wednesday so that makes it a bit difficult for those of us out mid-week struggling for a crust. But I'll see what I can do, being self-employed and all. It is my riding neighbourhood afterall, and I know my way round some of those good roads that've been suggested with the best curves and the best views. Count me in tentatively at this moment in time. My mobile number is 0413 173 534 in country, or PM me here when you're in OZ. I reckon you'll find that riding on 'our side of the road' is pretty easy to get used to. In a car you (the driver) stay in the middle, but on a bike you've got no choice, you have to pay attention. The nerves are wracked for a few kilometres then it's easy and you go with the flow. It'll not be a race. Cheers.

6Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 am

If this tentative meeting and subsequent ride happen next week, here is an almost perfect place to meet up. It's just off the M1 south of Beenleigh in Yatala, no more than a half an hour south of Capalaba, the pies are good and good for you, and it's an easy off/on to the highway. Heading back out toward Canungra and Hinze Dam from Nerang West would get us to the Natural Bridge in the Numinbah Valley on some fine motorbike roads in 45 minutes to an hour. Here's the link to the pie shop: http://www.yatalapies.com.au/

Off to Oz in March Numinb10
This is a view from The Queensland side going up into the Numibah Valley towards New South Wales.

Just an idea.

7Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm yatla pies ....yummy ....ill be keeping an extra one till we get to natural arch ....should be nice by then ....grin .....

hey twb ...got almost the same pic ...i have worked in that area many times ..but untill recently never gone further up that road .....

ill keep in contact with club c and if needed give him a lift to the pickup place if the directions seem a little confusing

i guess ...proposed meet times will be sorted out in the next few days although paul thinks 11.00ish pickup would be a good time ..(plus paper work) ..so ii guess yatala about 12.00 ish west nerang ..um 1.15

sure would like to meet some more folks ...if the oportunity arises and im sure our visitor would like to see some of us and our wonderfull country ,,,sharing is good ...

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:23 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I will leave the locations to you folks who know the area. I think I'll be able to get to the hire place ok, but am at a loss where to go from there. The hire is confirmed, 2006 K1200RS, so I'm good to go from that standpoint. Just need to sort out boots. Hate to bring mine along but will if there are no size 10 I can borrow... If the monsoons come, I have the option to cancel my hire, no charge, should I choose to do that. What's the forecast for next week?

9Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 am

It's not easy to predict the weather round the Gold Coast in early Autumn. The weather guessers will say rain and then it won't. It is usually dry and sunny this at time of the year. It won't be cold. It might be breezy. It's the Gold Coast and that name carries a lot of weight to a lot of people. It does not often disappoint.

I wear size 43 boots which is about 9 in your scale.

I think that a 2006 K1200RS (?) is a fantom. I reckon it'll be a K1200S or they have the year wrong. Either way you'll like the beast.

I look forward to showing you round and I hope some of my fellow countrymen can take this rare opportunity and make it shine as well.

See you next week, mate.

10Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
news :::: i think we have another friend to join us on the expedition.

"k freak" has declaired his interest and will meet us at the yatala "pie shop" meet place (weather permitting ) after cruising down from stanthorpe .....(what a star )

more news :: club c is eagar to get an earlier start, so, i think the whole excersize will be pushed forward an hour ...

so change your organisers , dairies, alarm clock , and see you at yatala at 11.00am

being so humid round here lately i think ill take my swimmers as well,, if we get a half hour in front , i wouldnt mind a dip at cabaritta or byron

11Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:29 pm

No worries. Yatala Pie Shop at 11am it is. Gunna be in the low 30s on Wednesday (so much for Autumn weather!). Swimmers'll be a good idea.

Just wondered if the word was put out there to any other Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland K riders from the forum to ride with us?

Hey, Blakey, how about chuckin' a sickie from your desk job for the day and riding along? If nothing else the pies are excellent at Yatala, just off the motorway south of Beenleigh (look for a big brown sign!

12Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'd be there with bells on if I could! But I'm training staff Wednesday and Thursday and it can't be shifted.

Enjoy yourselves!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

13Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 pm

OK, no worries, mate. Pity you can't but work's important. It's up to us to show the friendly Canuck some Ocka hospitality, but not too much, we are riding afterall. We'll probably take a few pictures!

14Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I can thoroughly recommend the Beenleigh Export Rum. Medicinally of course and when not anywhere near the bike.
Good trip guys I'm envious.
RT

15Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Aaaarrrggghhhh...what a day! Not a cloud in the sky. Perfect.

From the bottom of my heart, enjoy yourselves, ya lucky bastards! Very Happy

16Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:48 pm

30c and 50% humidity. We call that mostly fine. Those blue skies are looking good for a ride. I'll twist the throttle a bit extra in honour of all of you who can't ride today.
sunny

17Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Well, this is one of the highlight of this forum. The crazy Canuck meeting the Ozzies.
I wish that I could be there too. Maybe one day....
How a simple forum can change your life! Meeting new friends, getting cyber mechanical help..... I hope that all of you will have memorable time and will share your experience with us.

Good on you ... Hey! (I am covering both countries with this comment).

Cheers

Bert

18Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:25 am

Hi all, I'm just in and the bike's still ticking in the garage while the others are rolling North up the M1 Motorway into the teeth of The Gold Coast's peak drive time traffic to drop off the hire K1200RS and then head home in the gathering darkness.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2113
Charlie99, K-Freak & Club C. I think I heard one of them talking about whether they should hold hands just as the photo was taken! Smile

It was a great day of Yatala pie eating, yakking, and riding some fine fine roads while the sun shone and the skies stayed blue. We rode out behind Hinze Dam on some winding two-lane roads through the Numinbah Valley to the Natural Bridge on the Qld/NSW border then over the range and down some more of the fine twisty bits through Murwillumbah and then fast over the Burringbar Range. There was something for everyone.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2112
The important stuff! Off to Oz in March 2854237993

Poor Club C couldn't understand much when the three of us Aussies (K-Freak, Charlie99 & TWB) started up a convo but he got the jist. He even shouted us a pot at the Mooball pub!

Off to Oz in March Dscf2210
After a break at the Chillingham Store, where you can get (almost) anything you want. Off to Oz in March 22936

It was a very good day spent riding great bikes on excellent roads with three top blokes! Next time a few more of you locals and not-so locals are welcome to ride along. Cheers!

19Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Work sucks!

I'm glad that all had a great day!

20Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some more pics of the meet with our crazy canuk ....(not so crazy after all )

late but the meeting point was found ...heads getting together hatching a plan ......Off to Oz in March Pictur10..

surveying the countryside ready for the next sectionOff to Oz in March Pictur11

after the moball pub visit ...hmm its getting late ...cant make byron ....but there is a plan ...head back up to cabaritta headland for the glory shot ....(in this pic ....twb...club_c and kfreak ) .Off to Oz in March Pictur12

its a long way to come for internet connection meetups ...but i think clubc looks pleased i hope he and his family enjoy the rest of their holiday .......i just hope that it was all that he had planned .....i guess you have to slow down and enjoy the ride Off to Oz in March Pictur13

i have to say i couldnt have met a nicer bunch of blokes

our mate kfreak is probaly still travelling ...back up the big hills home

cheers guys ....we will have to do this again soon

21Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:57 pm

The 'Du-rag' was a gift from someone back home and old Clubbie just had to have the obligatory photo of himself wearing it. We thought what better background than the headlands at Cabarita as the sun sank low! (No, he's not a secret Harley rider).

22Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice guys and thanks for the great pics and update! Enjoy the fantastic riding!! Very Happy

OG

Last edited by Oldgoat on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

23Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
It's really interesting to see your faces. We usually only see your bikes.
It looks like a perfect meeting and ride.
As I am organizing the mini New Brunswick BMW rally in August, I hope that some of the eastern US members will be able to join us.
Thanks to all for the great pictures of this first INTERNATIONAL meeting of some forum's members. I am sure that other people will find riding buddies on this forum.

Off to Oz in March 292303 to all of you.

CF

24Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Just before dark fell and we were riding homeward late yesterday arvo my headlight stopped working (high beam warning illuminated but no headlight function, only the parking lamp). Just hours before, the starter button which had been repaired many times, had popped itself up and was about to come off. The starter function worked a charm still though. I was convinced (I should say I allowed myself to be convinced) that this was the problem and that they were related.

I got up this morning and proceeded to take off the right hand switch assembly to swap it with a secondhand spare one I'd bought a year ago from Motorworks. What a job that is! The 9 pin plastic connector will just barely make it through the gap in the frame near the steering head. I recommend patience and patience, and a bit of patience will do too. I gave up and removed the starter portion of the secondhand switch, cleaned out the accumulated grime of the years, re-greased the inner workings so they're like new and fitted it to my original switch. Success!

But, my headlight still didn't work.....This was when I had the crazy notion to actually look at the globe to see if it was burnt out. Imagine my surprise to see that the three-wire connector at the back of the headlight had melted slightly and the globe's glass was darkened. I promise never ever to go on again about my fancy schmancy 100/130 watt extra bright sooper dooper high output blaze the road ahead headlight globe! But it did last a year and a half.

Being the pack rat I am I had a spare three-wire connector from another model BMW in me old toolbox and in minutes I had the three wires spliced in with spade connectors. I have headlight again. And the path forward is now clear, Grasshopper. Oh, and the globe I used is a standard 55/60...but I'm eyeing that 90/100! Wax on, wax off.

25Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I was reading the story and I was thinking that you have mentioned your high-falootin' headlight globe on occasions previously.

All's well that ends well.

26Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hey boys, just popping in momentarily. Thanks to my new Oz friends for showing me a great time on the bikes. Absolutely lovely!! Cheers!

27Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ditto blakey ....giggles
maybe i can twist your arm into looking at that calibra product again twb

and it aint hard to wire up a relay with some nice juicy fat cable going right to where the light is made ....oh !!!! and a touch of deoxit protectorant ...just to finish off .

glad to hear the starter button is looking back to original again ...cheers mate

Last edited by charlie99 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

28Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:37 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
club_c wrote:Hey boys, just popping in momentarily. Thanks to my new Oz friends for showing me a great time on the bikes. Absolutely lovely!! Cheers!

cheers club_c ... Off to Oz in March 502531

29Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday as much as I enjoyed yesterday. I did 789k in 13 hours. I was reminded why I want to fit better lights to the K100, I was hard telling wihch was high and low beam without looking for the blue light.

30Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:Imagine my surprise to see that the three-wire connector at the back of the headlight had melted slightly and the globe's glass was darkened. I promise never ever to go on again about my fancy schmancy 100/130 watt extra bright sooper dooper high output blaze the road ahead headlight globe! But it did last a year and a half.

Just look at the picture I posted a few weeks ago. The problem is not the power melting the plastic but just the heat generated by the bulb. The headlight being enclosed in the fairing doesn't help to cool down the bulb.

Off to Oz in March Dsc_1610

31Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 pm

K Freak wrote: I did 789k in 13 hours.
I was wondering how you'd go with night coming quick and two or more hours to get back to Stanthorpe. I'm glad you made it back safely, didn't run into any hoppy skippy things and that you enjoyed your ride with us. Cool that you took the time to come out with us, too. See you on the road. Cheers!

32Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
13 hours !? You guys are hardcore! Shocked

OG

33Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Ouch, that headlamp wiring looks crispy Bert! I'm thinking I'm glad I went with the conservative 60/75 bulb upgrade. I figured if the blind ol dog still can't see I'll have to mount some driving lights, lol!

OG

34Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Oldgoat wrote:13 hours !? You guys are hardcore! Shocked

OG

OG, that was only K Freak who covered that distance. The rest of us slacked it a bit, took it easy through the mountains and valleys locally, having a good look around. K F rode out from Stanthorpe to Yatala before the ride then pealed off and continued on home after dark through some dangerous territory. It is not recommended to ride from dusk to dawn in the Lucky Country. Too many moving obstacles. He gets the 'long distance rider award' for the day!

35Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:
K Freak wrote: I did 789k in 13 hours.
I was wondering how you'd go with night coming quick and two or more hours to get back to Stanthorpe. I'm glad you made it back safely, didn't run into any hoppy skippy things and that you enjoyed your ride with us. Cool that you took the time to come out with us, too. See you on the road. Cheers!
No none of those things. With having recent rain there is good feed and water off the road and they dont come out onto the warm blacktop yet.
I usually just sit aout 50mtrs behind a car and use their Hi Beam, If they do scare one up you get a fair warning.
But never sit behind a truck because they line them up and hit them in the middle of the bar and they come out the back all minced up.
The only thing I saw was a fox and there are heaps of them at the moment.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

36Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
13 hours with some kangaroo dodge ball thrown in for fun!? I may never complain about a long ride home in the rain again!

OG

37Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Oldgoat wrote:13 hours with some kangaroo dodge ball thrown in for fun!? I may never complain about a long ride home in the rain again!

OG

The really big problem with the kangaroos is that the lights dazzle them and then they hop in the only direction they can see and that is where your lights are shining and that is right in front of you.
Many people here have an extra set of driving lights pointing at about 20deg to either side and that gives them somewhere else to hop but they are very unpredictable.
I avoid driving and riding at night if at all possible.
What gets them on the road is when it is cold and they come and lay on the still warm blacktop and when it is dry they come to get the good feed in the drains on each side of the road and as they are basicly a nocturnal feeder they can cause havoc at times.
Many drivers see them hop away in the distance and keep going but they will often come to the fence and turn back in panic, usually just in time to get hit by the car or bike.
I have seen the whole front end of a car destroyed by hitting a big male roo, they can be up to 200lb and 7feet high when they stand right up.

38Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
yep, look at my avatar Smile that guy stands up and looks you in the eye with a belligerent challenging look that says "give me food or whatever you have or I'll kick the crap out of you". Nothing friendly about these cuddly looking boys, but they are fabulous to see close up and in full flight Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

39Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye ned .....a roo in full flight is an amazing thing to see

40Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:28 am

Here's a coupla scenic pictures of a nice little (camping/snorkeling/bushwalking) ride I did the other day down to the South West Rocks/Hat Head area of New South Wales, then returning via Waterfall Way up to Grafton and home to the Gold Coast area. I was away from Sunday through Wednesday. It was a five to six hour ride one way from my home along the coastal roads then a few more than that back inland and then northward. Enjoy!

Off to Oz in March Hathea10
Hat Head near Sunset.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2211
Trial Bay from the lighthouse at Smoky Cape.

Off to Oz in March Breake10
Breakers on the granite rocks of Trial Bay near the old gaol (jail). German prisoners (locals of German extraction) were kept here during WWI, similar to what the US did with the Japanese in internment camps during WWII, until the authorities realised there was no threat from them and the entire project was abandoned. The gaol and its buttresses were quarried from these rocks along the shoreline. It is now a museum.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2213
Trial Bay Gaol.

Off to Oz in March Hathea11
Hat Head from Connors Track, a coastal trail that wends its way over several heads and beaches from the Korogoro River.

Off to Oz in March Alertr10
An alert 'roo picks himself from slumbering up as I approach from the summit of Hat Head.

Off to Oz in March Bridge10
An old wooden bridge on the 'Waterfall Way', a fine, two-lane road almost perfect for motorbikes and full of, no prizes for guessing correctly, waterfalls, near North Dorrigo.

Off to Oz in March Newell10
Newell Falls is one of the many waterfalls along Waterfall Way.

Off to Oz in March Newell11
Newell Falls Lookout.

Off to Oz in March Treeto10
The treetop walk (admission by donation) overlooking the valley at Dorrigo National Park sits about 25 metres off the rainforest floor and puts the viewer right into the forest's canopy.

Off to Oz in March Waterf10
Off to Oz in March Dscf2212
These pictures are views of the valley looking out towards the Mid-North Coast of New South Wales from the treetop walk.

Off to Oz in March Waterf11
Yet another nice piece of twisty bitumen (often bumpy, which keeps the majority of cars away) on Waterfall Way.

Off to Oz in March Waterf12
The mighty K takes a well-deserved rest at the roadside along Waterfall Way near Nymboida, south of the town of Grafton, an area popular for camping, bushwalking, white water canoeing and kayaking.

41Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice trip twb .....never heard of the waterfalls way before ....way cool

i think ima gunna have to get that bevel box fixed up and set some new tyres on the beast and start travelling

thanks for the great pics

42Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Just outstanding pics guys!

OG

43Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 am

Today was one of those days when a head-clearing ride was necessary. I had some uncomfortable business to attend to and then once that was attended to and clear I headed for the hills on some familiar roads, but in reverse of my usual route. It's a Wednesday here, so the mid-week traffic was light, to be almost non-existent later on this morning. Some of the narrower roads usually have cars and utes coming down them as you wend your way up if it's early enough...a fair few people live way up in the highlands of the hinterland and have to get down to the Gold Coast for work and school. I began my ride with a short, fast spin from Mudgeeraba past the excellent and secluded Pancho's Mexican restaurant up towards Springbrook NP to Purlingbrook Falls NP, a place I have fond memories of in the recent past. I hope you enjoy the small slide show of my ride.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2310
The old road from Mudgeeraba to Austinville through the rainforest.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2313
A deep, cool stream on a hot day does wonders for the soul. Mind the snakes, leeches and other snappy, bitey, sucking things.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2311
The signs should be heeded.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2318
Lovely, empty, winding roads through the bush. Made for motorbikes.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2323
There's a track winding back...it's only a few hundred metres from the car park to the walkway above the falls, and it passes through some most pleasant greenery, under huge ferns and ancient Arctic Beech trees.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2314
The creek at the top of Purlingbrook Falls, as it disappears over the escarpment.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2315
You probably wouldn't want to ride a wooden barrel over these...

Off to Oz in March Dscf2316
The drop is a coupla hundred metres to the rainforest floor below.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2317
The creek (and possibly you in the wooden barrel) ends up here in this pool, called Waringa in the native tongue. Note the walking track around and behind the falls. You can't see it from this angle but you can walk behind the falls as they flow.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2319
More fast, sweeping bends with a fair warning. Bikers ride these roads in their numbers on weekends and the local constabulary are well aware of them, and so they wait, and watch, and use radar, and issue 'road safety' fines which amount to a sin tax on road users. At times an overzealous bike and rider end up in the weeds at roadside and have to be pulled out. This we all pay for.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2322
A longish, empty stretch near Hinze Dam.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2320
The roads go here and there around the mountains of the border range. This fine road has near its end a most pleasant place for a cuppa and a good think about the next bit of riding you'll do to get home. You'll always find a willing participant.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2321
And this is the place...but you'll often not find a seat to rest your bum on at the weekends at the Outpost in Canungra. That's why I go during the week while most everyone else is off at work. The Aussie-style pies and coffee are very good here.

Off to Oz in March Dscf2324
From here you can just make out the skyline of Surfers Paradise and the rest of the Gold Coast, the mighty blue Pacific in the background. I like it up here a lot, away from all that madness and chaos.

The entire ride, from the Gold Coast, up into the hills from Mudgeeraba to Austinville, Springbrook NP, Binna Burra, the edge of the Numinbah Valley, downhill via Clagiraba Road, past the Kokoda military base into Canungra, then back home via Maudsland, Oxenford and the M1 motorway, was a mere 175 kilometres or so. A nice, bright Autumn day, with temps in the mid 20s, very little wind, a few high, fluffy clouds and a fair few dense black ones too, that threatened rain but were more show than action, and a sweet-running motorbike thrumming away between my knees. This is my pew in my church, my time for reflection, helmet therapy time; an inveterate traveller at home on the road.

As someone wiser than me once said..."I'd rather be sitting on my motorbike thinking about god than sitting in church thinking about riding my motorbike."

'Strewth, mates.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

44Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aww bless ya twb ...thems fine riding in them thar hills ...nice travellog mate .

cheers

45Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Hard to top that post, TWB. Great pix, nice story--a happy ending. I echo the sentiments regarding deep contemplation on the bike. Riding is one of the more singular acts of concentration, connection and in-the-moment flow--"far from the madding crowd." AHHHH.

Your having shared these pictures and the others I've seen from the 'gathering' are quite contrary to the majority of mainstream images of Australia as it is portrayed in cinema and other commercial media here in the 'States. Clearly, the arid country is quite far from the places you show in your pics. Really very, very beautiful. javascript:emoticonp('sunny')

46Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Ta, Bobgass. I am just south of Brisbane along the border with New South Wales. I can go from temperate rainforest to dry scrub bush in a matter of a few kilometres. But we have had heaps of rain this past Summer and into Autumn now too which has had a marked affect on our bushland, which is usually quite dry and comes and goes in various patterns and stages since time beyond memory and history. The past few decades the El Nino and La Nina patterns have been identified as potential causes of this cyclic weather wheel. We have had record rains of late. The debate rages about that. I will refrain from offering my opinion as regards that often too delicate subject...This area is not typical for most of the rest of this vast and often scorched land. Have a squiz at the map and note the dark green bits round the edge. This is where most of the 'green' is left (after we've hacked, slashed, burnt and cut off our fair share of rainforest and timber in the name of progress) and as expected where most people live as well.

Australia just about fits inside the continental US so it is not a small place, and there is a lot of very dry, desiccated land (which is full of life of its own) to travel through once you're a few kilometres away from the burgeoning suburban and urban areas. Hollywood and the media do like to romanticise the character of a place.

Off to Oz in March Thumb-10

47Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Sounds a lot like areas of the US Pacific Northwest, where there are lush belts of vegetation and rain near the coast that turn into a rather lunar landscape the farther you drive inland. I've had the pleasure of visiting Oregon and NorCal a few times, and would very much like to spend more time there with a bike and explore the land the way I'd like to.

Alas--time, time . . .

Love to see folks M/C journey pix from everywhere! Thanks!

48Back to top Go down   Off to Oz in March Empty Re: Off to Oz in March Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Yep, similar but slightly more sub-tropical than the Pacific 'Northwet', which is temperate. Over the Cascades on the East side it's another world from the Seattle/Tacoma side. Lotsa good roads up there, for sure.

Off on another half day ride just now down to Byron Bay via Mullumbimby and the Burringbar Range. Pictures tonight! Cheers.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum