BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:19 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
The fuel pump on my K100RT was seized when I got it. Using the download information I disassembled the pump and found several rusted parts. I sanded out the rust and reassembled. It spins over fine and will push some fuel, but I can easily block the flow from the fuel line with my finger. To me there is not nearly enough pressure being generated by the pump. The engine will cough or spit, but won't start, indicating weak fuel delivery. I put in the pump from my RS and the bike flashed up fine. So where did I go wrong? I'm wondering if sanding those 5 pins inside the mechanical portion of the pump has modified the clearances to the point of compromising pressure. Or did I reassemble something backwards???? Your thoughts?

Does someone in Canada or USA have a pump that is electrically ruined and would send it to me? Then I could swap out your good mechanical components into mine.

2Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Your diagnosis is correct 30 + psi would squirt everywhere so your pump has had it and yes sanding the pump rollers with all of the scoring and pitting from rust would not help.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
So then I really am looking for an electronically dead f/p to swap parts with.

4Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i agree kbike ...even rotation with slightly less tolerances really affected mine when the sieze event happened ...but made it home ...and that was the objective ,,,,

during reseach i found that there are amazingly close tolerances required for this soirt of pump design and the overall conclusion was that this design is not suited at all for ANY possible interference from particles larger than what was expected from clean fuel.

you might have guessed that i opted for the "side flow turbine " design that i now have from the "denso" pump out of the toyota

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:25 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
yes still mulling that one over...

6Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:58 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i guess you have to go with what you think is right clubc .....for all of us the bosch has done a fabulous job ...... it seems that when attempting to resurect the old gals we are so eagar to ride that we forget some of the basics required .... and unfortunatly old fuel turns to glue....lol for want a better word ....good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hey Charlie,

you might have guessed that i opted for the "side flow turbine " design that i now have from the "denso" pump out of the toyota

Please explain...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Empty Re: Weak fuel pump pressure/volume Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi blakey .....um, its hard to explain other than to give you the link for the "goss fuel pumps" catalogue ...it explains all the different kinds of pumps in use, the technology and the applications and the reasons i guess for change

the explanation starts about page 130 after all the localised applications they have .

i found it a real awakening to fuel pumps ....worthy of a read

in any case i chose the side channel (i called it side flow- turbine) type as it was more resilient to larger particles and vapour locks, which fitted right in with me ...oh!!! of corse availability and price ...

http://www.noelsautoparts.com.au/Goss%20Catalogue.pdf

hope it makes sence to some folks ...the terminoligy that is used makes sence after reading this .

what i did http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1574p15-fuel-pump-rebuild#12097

hope this helps someone .......

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum