BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Another rough running K  SOLVED!! Empty Another rough running K SOLVED!! Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:29 pm

K Put

K Put
Hi one and all, got a ticklish one for you. Went to start my K100 the other day, started - just - and ran like a pig, could be best described as running too rich, lumpy as hell but exhaust didn't smell excessively rich.
Once warm it idles quite smoothly at 1000 rpm, with very slight uneveness and starts readily, but has a misfire / hesitation on take off acceleration, that felt just like a bad plug, and generally felt lousy to ride.
Pulled the plugs to replace, and all were dry but very sooty, replaced the plugs and checked the mixture co readings, they were spot on 2.5% co, which barely moved when revved, balanced the throttle bodies then roadtested again, if you feed the throttle in steadily in 2nd/3rd/4th, the bike takes off and goes like hell, but snap the throttle open and the bikes leaping all over the place.
My thoughts are tending towards knackered leads, possibly coils or ultimately CDI box as all plugs are in the same state.
I have my other K100 I can 'borrow' items from for the purpose of testing, but I want to nail the problem before nicking parts. HELP!!

The bike is an '84 K100 RT, mileage ultimately unknown but showing 94000 miles, and currently running an 89 K100RS motor (has done for 2 YRS no probs) otherwise standard, and up to the other day it ran like a Swiss watch

UPDATE

Ran through K Bikes suggestions, which helped matters, plus some of the tests listed on the forum, problem is the fuel pump is knackered, fuel pressure was very low resulting in the injectors 'hosing' - not atomising the fuel properly. Subbed the pump out of my other K and all appears back to normal Very Happy
This forum ROCKS cheers

Last edited by K Put on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Found problem)

2Back to top Go down   Another rough running K  SOLVED!! Empty Re: Another rough running K SOLVED!! Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Can you check your CO meter against another vehicle because given the very sooty plugs that feels like running rich to me. Have you measured the resistance of the water sensor at the plug just in case it is feeding false signals to the system.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Another rough running K  SOLVED!! Empty Re: Another rough running K SOLVED!! Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 pm

K Put

K Put
Cheers for the reply K-BIKE I did wonder about cold start system, I'll check it tomorrow to eliminate it. The co meter is used on a lot of bikes, has been calibrated but again I'll recheck the readings,
Many thanks

4Back to top Go down   Another rough running K  SOLVED!! Empty Re: Another rough running K SOLVED!! Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:40 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
While you are at it probably a good idea to check all connections to the big electrics plugs have been thoroughly DeoxIT treated just to ensure good connections. Last thought when it is running give it a check for air leaks with either butane or propane or flammable carb cleaner.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum