LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Did anyone knows some differences between (12 Rivets) output shaft
They have various absorber gear wheel:
ABSORBER GEAR WHEEL K1200 - 11211464947
ABSORBER GEAR WHEEL K100 - 11211461499

There are the same springs between the absorber gear wheel and idler. Idlers are the same.

Will absorber from k1200 fit to my k100 engine?

http://tchorzewski.net

I suspect you will be one of the first to know the correct answer to this question when you have all of the pieces laid out before you. Sometimes BMW make a part number change because of an item's metallurgy, other times it is because the item is physically different though similar looking from an item from a different model. Interchangeability often simply comes from trying the various bits together until you get an idea what works.

Anyone know the answer to LifeGuard's post ? Can I replace a 6-rivet K100 "absorber gear wheel" (aka output shaft drum) with the 12-rivet K1200 version? Going to dismantle the 2V engine soon and checking into options for doing this upgrade while apart. Many thanks for your assist with this.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Why do you want to use a part from a K1200, as long this part is available for the K100 models?

Good question, I neglected to mention.

I've found a very reasonably priced low-mileage K1200 adapter. I don't find any comparable used 12-rivet K100 (or K1100) gear wheels available. At around 400 USD, I can't justify the expense of the new K100 part.

Even if I open it up and find the 6-rivet part is not loose, given the track record and expense/time of opening up the engine I intend to do this upgrade.

The original post is over a year old and I thought perhaps someone may have tried or investigated this in the interim.

BTW if any members have a replacement upgraded gear wheel they want to part with, please PM me.

Thanks for helping with this question, and possibly sourcing a replacement.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This should answer your question, a shaft from a K1200LT...
which according to Realoem should also fit older models.
Hmm....strange that the K1200RS isn't at the Realoem list.

As you got a pre -86 you must change the bearing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: did check those part #, shaft and idler is common....the gear/absorber is listed as K12 only.
And it's the shaft # that is in the headline...probably they just have checked that #.

Could give them a call and ask about this.............could be that they now something we don't...

Inge K., thanks for the research and thoughts they are much appreciated.

Looking at the parts fiche in addition to the common shaft and idler you report, the K100 and K1200 appear to use the same secondary absorber components (3 and 13). Part 10 cylinder visually appears quite similar to the K100/1100 version. Perhaps there's a variance in K1200 crankshaft drive gear and driven follower integral to part 10 warranted by increased power transmitted? Possibly a change in gear set width, diameter, pitch, and/or helix angle; or as previously suggested metallurgy.

If I am able to put my hands on both parts I will report my findings to the group, in the interim I will be grateful to all for their thoughts and contributions. If anyone has knowledge of crankshaft variances between K100/K11 family and K1200 please share your experiences as well, they will be valued.

Thanks much and regards to all.

differences between output shaft k100/1200 B0000110

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="s-k"]Anyone know the answer to LifeGuard's post ? Can I replace a 6-rivet K100 "absorber gear wheel" (aka output shaft drum) with the 12-rivet K1200 version? Going to dismantle the 2V engine soon and checking into options for doing this upgrade while apart. Many thanks for your assist with this.[/quote]

Yes. You can also use the twleve rivet part from the K-1100. I have this in my high mileage K100RS.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="Inge K."]Why do you want to use a part from a K1200, as long this part is available for the K100 models?[/quote]

The original only has six rivets, and this has proven to fail on high mile K100s. The rivets walk and over time develop enough play to make a nasty rattling noise at idle. Eventually rivets shear off and you find them on the drain plug magnet, or all six rivets fail and leave you stranded. Also the way the C shaped spring between the split gear halves attaches is not durable.

If the engine is out of the bike for any reason, it is a no brainer to replace the output shaft gear and isolator with the later 12 rivet part. The rivets are larger, twice as many and the attachments for the C shaped spring between the split gear is better engineered.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The K1 was the first model with this mod.

The other K100 models got the 12 rivet absorber/gear, revised spring and split gear
close to the end of their production life.

It was used on all models from 27 sept. -89., exept RT which was out of production
just prior to this date.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to note inge ....thanks yet again

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all. HELP......I've been putting off repairing my extremely noisy output shaft for ages.........well, about 60,000 klms plus to be exact. She rattles like no other K I've heard (those at the narrandera meet will agree...!).
I have a couple of questions, as I havent done this, or seen it done.
Seems I cant find any 2nd hand output shafts, but there are a few K1200 units on fleabay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190292532659?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So, would this entire unit fit straight in, does anyone know????
Or would I need to strip it to get the part off the shaft????

The other alternative is to buy a brand new 12 rivet from Motoworks (around $400)....
Are the units pressed on to the shaft?? If that is the case I'd have to take it somewhere to get done
as I dont have a press.

I was quoted $550 for a used shaft from a wrecker, if another bloke was buying the head from it and $450 for an entire engine, but no guarantee that the output shaft was going to be ok.....so kinda stuck for options.

I guess I can keep looking for an 1100 shaft, but havent seen many, or any in Aus.

Help!!!!!

cheers

'88 K100 RT
Chassis number: 0097248 ; Vehicle code: 0504; Series: K589
Model: K100RT 84 (0504 (0505) Body Type: K100RT 84 (0504)
Catalog Model: ECE; Engine: (0504); Production: 1988/9
differences between output shaft k100/1200 13763011

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might be good to look in usa andy
I believe that the k1100 is the same device (and likely to be a 12 rivet ...according to a few of the suppliers who say the absorber assembly mechanism  fits k100 1100 etc  but its that the later k100 s ? 16 valve ? )

but others will chime in here ..I hope

seems that usa has many of the breed of bike likely to be a suitable replacement ...but like all things some of the suppliers over there don't like sending overseas ...for some reason ....get a mail forwarding usa address thingy ...I guess would be the most sensible option .

good to see you mate ... you southerners went missing there for a while

good luck !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You sent a PM to me Andy but I haven't answered yet because of 4 days in Horsepiddle etc.
I should have a 12 rivit here (probably 2) but with 1.1 hands I cant get at it to look.
I will send a PM soon as I get sorted mate.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Pech31

Pech31
Hi,

I 'va found this post when I was looking for answers to the same questions about differences between (12 Rivets) output shaft for K100 - K1100 and K1200 series.

I have a 85' K100RT and my 6 rivets absorber gear wheel died
differences between output shaft k100/1200 Amorti13

The bore for the Clutch housing in my K100 absorber gear wheel is like a K100, K1 or K100 ABSORBER GEAR WHEEL K100 - 11211461499 :
differences between output shaft k100/1200 Amorti10
Note that I already unmounted the original lock ring.

I bought a K1200's ABSORBER GEAR WHEEL - 11211464947 on Ebay (thanks to rubbersideupllc ), hoping it could match, but I found a litlle difference : a anti-friction ring have been inserted in the bore for the Clutch housing:
differences between output shaft k100/1200 Amorti12

Sure, it was not easy because that bore in not open from behind anymore on that new K1200's absorber gear wheel 11211464947, but however it is possible to remove it. It have been a hard work to cut it with a diamond cutter on my Dremel, but it's done, I 've weakened it enought to extract it with a pliers. cheers

differences between output shaft k100/1200 Bague_10

Now, the complete K1200's output shaft have been re-mounted in my K100's motor with the original K100's ball bearing differences between output shaft k100/1200 723598

Hope it will help !

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Nice one! mech

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks for posting ,
gives another alternative to the original on these older machines ..

good work
differences between output shaft k100/1200 112350

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum