BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Hi All. I am just about to take delivery of a non running 1990 (6.'89) K100RT. Has been sitting since 2003. The fuel Pump rubber mount is hosed. This is my first BMW so expect lots of dumb questions.

2Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Dave.

We look forward to your questions...what we don't know, we'll make up!

Read through the old posts to get an idea on what you need to do to get the beast purring like a kitten.
Go and get some DeoxIT (Jaycar stores) and go over every electrical connection on the bike. If it's an earth bolt on the frame, take it out, clean it up and use the DeoxIT. You may save yourself some grief.

Let the questions begin!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:08 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya dave ......welcome to the forum

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 am

abbocath

abbocath
Silver member
Silver member
welcome to the forum Dave! cheers

Best regards from Portugal!

Good curves

5Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:52 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for the encouraging words. Thanks for the advice Blakey. First up is a wash to remove the dirt/dust and then I'll do the earths.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

6Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
CanberraDave wrote:Thanks for the encouraging words. Thanks for the advice Blakey. First up is a wash to remove the dirt/dust and then I'll do the earths.

welcome Smile please don't use pressure spray cleaning machines around electrics and the radiator because the fan behind the radiator should not really get wet.

The boys here like Deoxit and with a good reason, but also a good dielectric grease will also provide good protection.

Most electric connections are under the tank but a few are down lower and can be troublesome.

BTW do not try to start the bike unless the battery is in a good condition. If you do it with a low battery charge you may weld the starter relay closed and the starter will keep running without ignition being on.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

7Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome neighbour
get that thing running then I can get some tripping arranged.
Me, complete novice, just read everything you can from these posts. The knowledge here is brilliant.
RT

8Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty New Aust Member Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
G'day Dave, yep, plenty of help available here, the Aussie numbers are growing all the time, but then that's probably because we can ride all year round, even in Tassie.
I'll be heading towards Canberra over the Easter break and following week, travelling with some Harley riders, bloody embarassing really, never mind.
Best regards, Dennis.

9Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum we have all sought help at one time, and this is the place to ask.

BIG D

10Back to top Go down   New Aust Member Empty Re: New Aust Member Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for all the words folks. Can't wait to get the girl in the shed and start work on her. Should have her next week. Then the inane questions start.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum