BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 pm

isurfne

isurfne
Finally joined the club

I bought myself my first bike yesterday, and guess what, its a k100rs. I started riding 3 years ago on my dads 75 r60/6 and decided never to buy anything but BMW. My dad bought an 87 k100rs last year and i rode it around a lot and loved everything about it… except that it wasn't mine. I've been looking on craigslist and finally found one this week. Its an 85 k100rs. Ive only ridden it about 40 miles as i had to get it home and its now the weekend so i don't have rego or stickers on it but i absolutely love it. I don't care if my friends make fun of me for riding "an old man bike" because it is most definitely not one. I hate squids (vocab i leared today on the forum.) Im so sick of having to chase my buddies down on their gixxers. I ride with 2 friends of mine who both have powerful sports bikes. Every time they lead we end up on highways and i end up 5 miles back because i don't want to do 130. But what makes me laugh is when i end up leading we end up on twisty "b" roads and i end up 5 miles ahead of them. I guess it just goes to show you that just because you have a race bike doest mean you know how to ride it. I love passing kids ( i say that yet i am one myself… will be 22 in may) on twisty roads on sports bikes. Im excted to be a part of this forum so i can find some local riders who want to do some rides this summer.

anyway, i hope you all are releived that there isn't yet another 20 something squid out there on a race bike but a few of us youngins have chosen wisely.

Joel

2Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:35 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Joel. If I was you I'd be doing a check over on the bike. I never trust that a previous owner (PO) had it right. Check the tire pressures, make sure they are at spec (specs under the seat on a sticker) and I always immediately change the engine oil and filter. The other thing I like to do, though so far haven't seen it mentioned on this forum (though on other forums) is put some Seafoam gas treatment in the tank to clean the injectors and fuel system (avail at NAPA). Just something to get you started!

3Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Joel. Hope you enjoy the "ol man's ride"! Laughing Take a look around the board a bit and you'll find several posts and info on things to look out for.

OG

4Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

isurfne

isurfne
Thanks. I probably wont be riding it for the better part of a week anyway. Im still in school ( graduation in 3 weeks) and i left the bike at home. I need to get it registered and then im going to take it to my local BMW genius mechanic and have him do a once over on the whole thing. Im learning about motorcycle maintenance but at this point i dont have the expertise to do much more than oil, filters, brakes and tire pressure.

Im going to guess that this question should find its way to the electronics section but i'l ask it anyway. When i turned off the bike the tail light stayed on. Nothing it did would shut it off. Eventually i ended up pulling the fuse for the lights but i have no idea what would cause the light to stay on. I know the bike does not have parking lights so im confused as to what it could be. Suggestions will be welcomed with open ears.

5Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Joel,
Take a look at crazy frogs download page and you will find a lot you need to know.
If you don't turn the ignition key fully to the off you will have the parking lights illuminated.....yes it does have parking lights.
BMW mechanics can be costly and you will find all the answers here and all eager to help.
Ajays

AJAYS

6Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Welcome Joel.

This forum has basically covered all the basic maintenance. being 3 weeks from graduation, you may want to save your $$$.
Send me a private mail and I will give you the password to access the download page. Get the Clymer and Haynes manual. These bikes are very easy to maintain and you could save yourself money that you can convert to gas in order to ride.
By the way, here in Canada the cost of filling up the bike went up by 25% in comparison of last year. This is still cheaper than driving the car.

7Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:09 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Joel!

I would say it's more a classic than an old man's ride! Ask your mates where their bike will be in 26 years time!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:30 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
isurfne wrote:When i turned off the bike the tail light stayed on.
I have the same bike, and was wrenching on it this afternoon and checked the ignition switch for your condition, and yes, if you have it in the middle position the rear tail light stays on. Turn the key one more click counterclockwise and the light will go out.

9Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"if you have it in the middle position the rear tail light stays on"

...and the front parking light as well.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:15 pm

isurfne

isurfne
It was staying on when the key was all the way turned off.... it wasnt in the middle. i'll have to take a closer look on thur when i get back to the bike. Thanks for all the responses tho.

11Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:01 am

Welcome, mate. I got my first Beemer in 1976. I was 16. My second came at age 17, a 1977 R75/7. My friends at school wondered aloud why I would buy such an old man's bike, especially when I coulda had a Yamaha XS750 triple, a GS1000 Suzook, or any number of bikes that I would likely not still be riding today. I still own my R75.

I have owned a lot of different machines from different companies, which I have thoroughly enjoyed as well, but I always have a BMW or two in the garage to ride and to enjoy tinkering on. They are solid, built to last, and to outlast fads and attitudes. Ride on and smile!

12Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:14 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Welcome Joel,
A good choice for a bike mate.

BIG D

13Back to top Go down   My first bike.. well sort of Empty Re: My first bike.. well sort of Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Joel,
Welcome aboard change all oils, and filters, change the coolant and don't forgewt the fork oil. Use the recommended oils and filters and you have the bike back to as it left the factory with regaard to oils etc. Treat every connection with DeoxIT as discussed on the forum and enjoy the ride.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum