BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:47 am

cammy300980

cammy300980
Hi

I am having a problem with my K100 RT.. On way home from work the other day bike spluttered to a halt. From a full tank the trip was showing 154 miles. Checked in tank and there was still fuel in to a level where fuel was visible at sides and rear end of tank. Anyone had a similar problem and does anyone know where the fuel pick up is positioned in the tank. The only thing I can see that may be a problem is the pipe which is connected to the filter that then runs forward and down the front left inside area of the tank appears to have had a repair with some sort of sealant. If this is not sealing correctly and the fuel is below any hole that should be sealed would the pump draw in air instead of fuel from the pick up further down in the tank.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Andy

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Re: Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hate to say it cammy ....but the best way is to pull it out and have a look ....there have been many post recently regarding fuel issues .and the search feature could help you

...but can i ask a question ?

do you hear the pump working at all?

press the starter button with the tank open and listen for it spinning ....if not ...follow the cable out the back of the tank and (viewable with the seat lifted) behind the right hand side cover directly under the seat area, you will find a 4 pin connection ...inspect that little sucker to see if the terminals on both sides are free of corrosion and a good fit to each other ...
i found my socket side to be verry loose fitt and had to compress the socket parts so that reliable contact was acheived .

the repair you mention could be in the high preasure line ...and if split, is a source of loss of that presure. ie: not enough fuel presure/flow getting to the injectors..... lets hope none of that sealant has made its way back to the fuel pump

in any case it sounds like its been worked on ....the fuel pump might be sitting high as well ,,,so a little more fuel might help
(a litre or so ) in this testing phase

good luck

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:53 am

cammy300980

cammy300980
Thanks charlie99. The pump is working fine and when I put the bike on the side stand the fuel was again picked up by the pump. Doing this did cause the fuel to cover the pipe that looks repaired but I have spoken to a mate and going to his workshop tomorrow at his house. He is a but of a BMW buff so might be able to sort out the problem.

cammy300980

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Re: Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Cammy, for what it's worth, my speedo/trip meter has been reading low mileage, a 200k trip shows up as 120, so I have a bit of a prob, even tho the actual speed needle is correct. Just do a known run and see if it is a simple problem. Then tell me how to fix it HA.
RT

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Re: Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Cammy,

I think Charlie has a good point in his post, anyway the fact that it looks as though its been worked on has got to be worth investigating for your own satisfaction and confidense in the bike.
Put things right now it will be worth it in the long run.

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Re: Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:30 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
One problem that shows up with all in tank fuel pumps not just K's is the use of the wrong fuel line, guys pop down to their local equivalent of Halfords (or other car bits vendor) and buy a length of fuel line the PFY behind the counter probably does not know (nor care) that there are essentially two types of fuel line: -
The wrong one and the most common and cheapest one is intended to have fuel on the inside and air on the outside it breaks down in the tank and may burst (I suspect this may be the case with the repaired pipe) if it is immersed in fuel.

The second more expensive and correct pipe for our in fuel tank rubber is intended to be immersed in fuel both inside and outside.

Where there has been work on the fuel system I suggest change the rubber bits for type two and whilst you are in there check the filter screen on the pump, the condition of the rubber buffer that mounts the pump and after cleaning all traces of water (if any) out of the tank change the filter for a genuine new one.

Check the fuel delivery pressure on the rail at idle and with the engine revving to be sure the fuel pressure is OK. With those mods and checks done you can relax knowing the fuel delivery from the tank should be reliable.

The point made about the four pin plug is so true that is one of the few areas on our bike where I think they got the design wrong, in my opinion it is just not robust enough and the pins are too delicate - OK for the guage if fitted but not thick enough for the earth and fuel pump power supply.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Empty Re: Fuel Level and pick up in tank. Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Andy, the full immersion fuel line has SAE30R10 written along it's length.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum