BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 2:34 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Hi guys. OK. After purchase a couple of weeks ago of the 1984 UK K100RT I've done the oil and filter and final drive oil, removed the tank and sprayed all the electrical connections and relays etc, with contact cleaner (they all looked pretty good) had to replace the light/starter switch anyway.
While the tank was off replaced the coolant. I've done lots of little things that just needed doing like adjusting the free-play in the throttle (it was set incorrectly at the handle). Next on the list is to bleed the brakes and change the gearbox oil. The bike is running great and the front forks don't seem to need any attention yet (previous owner tells me they had the seals replaced not long ago).
I have managed all of this with a HUGE THANK YOU to this forum and all the advice I've read up on.
Two questions..
The radiator fan comes on and off ok, but the heat generated and fanned back is HOT! I've read a lot and seems like this might be normal, but what is normal 25-30DegC on your legs??

Service wise .. Is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers and thanks again. Geordnz I'm loving the K100RT

2Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Heat on your legs? If you are on a long ride, strap a couple of cans of spaghetti to your legs and you'll have a hot meal when you arrive at your destination. Very resourceful those Germans...

Yep, it can be hot. Search on this Forum for a fairly recent discussion on managing the heat issue. Some clever thinking there!

Grease the clutch cable nipples at the handlebar and also at the clutch arm. If they are dry, they stick and it can weaken the cable when used.

If I may be anal, you aren't really bleeding the brakes, you're changing the fluid. You bleed the brakes when you think you have air trapped in the lines. See recent posts on that as well.

Clean the speedo sender unit on the final drive...take out the small bolt, wiggle the sender unit out, wipe it down and reconnect.

I've probably forgotten something, so the others will assist.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 am

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
Sounds like you have done good work, but there is one major item you missed, the one item that puts more K's off the road than any other issue. remove the rear drive unit and grease the splines ( with the correct grease!!). I can not stress enough how important this is, I have been messing around with these bikes for a few years now and have seen a lot of them with badly worn driveshaft splines. You are lucky though as the earlier ones, pre'86, have 16 splines as apposed to the 20 spline shafts on later ones and don't seem to wear as bad.
You should be able to get the correct grease from the BMW dealer up there.
If you can not get the correct grease, send me a PM and I will send you enough to do the job.

4Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 6:36 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for that guys. Excellent advice as usual. From what I have read on this forum, the bike has the retro fitted heat shielding under the tank (silver lined stuff) but no other heat related modifications. It does not have the adjustable throttle cable with the adjuster near the front of the forks. It's not too much of an issue as we are heading into winter here, but come summer, it's going to be uncomfortable around town.
RobinM, I'll message you re your post. I presume you mean pulling the shaft drive apart..... that is one thing I will take some serious advice on before pulling apart.

5Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Oh, thanks for the speedo sender and clutch cable advice. And the brake item is a given, when I said bleed I meant bleed until it's changed (I was thinking transfusion). So correct wording is change, my error. ;-)
One other question..
What are some options for getting the gunk out of the fidley bits of the alloy wheels, apart from taking the damn things off and taking the disks off etc?? I spent a lot of time getting them to the stage they are now, but they are by no means perfect. Any magical safe product that might help me and my toothbrush get the black s*&t off?

6Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 7:29 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Forgot to mention. I checked all the bulbs in the "dash" and replaced the important ones. I did this because the oil pressure warning light wasn't working. Ended up testing the warning switch ... and replacing with a second hand one. Also lost a bar end on the first long ride. A local dealer was very helpful in supplying second hand parts. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention them here.

7Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 8:16 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
geordnz, have a look at this link. This is what I do to get at the rear splines when I want to grease them.

8Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
This is what I was looking for!

A Service Schedule!

9Back to top Go down   full service (almost) Empty Re: full service (almost) Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Fantastic. Thanks

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum