BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dinos735

dinos735
I have a 1985 rs k100. The neutral was working, bike would start with start button. After short ride the light quit lighting up. If i replace the bulb, If it is burned out? should that take care of the problem? Does the bulb have to be working for the bike to start when gear is in neutral.
The bike will start when pulling in the clutch but I would like to fix it nevertheless. Saw the post about a transistor (v10) I believe but I realize that means opening up the speedo cluster. Any suggestion's?
Thank you all!
Dino

P.S. the task bar above have spell check?

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
One important question:
Is your digital gear display working?
If the display is not working correctly, it may be affected by a bad transmission gear position indicator or TGPI (on the back of the gear box). It will also affect the neutral light. This is a cheap repair but a bugger to get at. You have to remove the swing arm. This page explains how to fix it.

CF

neutral light not working. Does it have to be on for the bike to start. Will start on cluth in. Frog15neutral light not working. Does it have to be on for the bike to start. Will start on cluth in. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

dinos735

dinos735
Gear display has not been working for sometime. The screen was blank when I replaced speedo assembly after purchase off of ebay. Supposed to work, but you know the story. Rode the bike 6 months before putting away for winter. Live in the artic zone (Minnesota) Will check the assembly as you suggest and let you know outcome.
I need to change bulbs in speedo also for left turn signals, Signals work , just no indicator flash. Right side works, just no left.

Thanks

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Artic zone?????
I guess I am living in the sub Artic zone.
Check this link in order to check the switch without having to remove it.

neutral light not working. Does it have to be on for the bike to start. Will start on cluth in. Frog15neutral light not working. Does it have to be on for the bike to start. Will start on cluth in. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

dinos735

dinos735
Well I guess I have some work to do. I think I saw the article you sent me to on IBMWR before. If not, it explains it decidingly in detail.
I have plenty of wrenching experience, plus and electrical back ground. Just fixed the high/low beam switch-What FUN.
So I am not afraid to leap into the pit of no return.
Regards Dino

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Hi,
Had a similiar problem with my clocks - check & double check the two block connectors which take the loom to the back of the clock. There is a small cover held by one screw to get to this (if you can access it around your fairing) make sure they are fully pushed in at the whole length and that both connectors are in, mine had worked a bit loose so i tightened up the ferrule connectors and made sure they were as clean as can be, sorted my neutral light, gear pos indicator, tacho and background light, all in one! good luck

dinos735

dinos735
Hi Guys, Just thought I would let you know I fixed the switch by replacing it with another one. I trouble shot using volt meter and found that the main switch was wore out. Thanks for the help!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good result dino ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
dinos735 wrote:Hi Guys, Just thought I would let you know I fixed the switch by replacing it with another one. I trouble shot using volt meter and found that the main switch was wore out. Thanks for the help!
Don't throw the old one out as most of the time they can be rejuvenated by soaking in diesel and working it and then Kerosene then drying it out with whitespirit. I did one on the K75 a couple of years ago when it lost its marbles and started to give strange gears and false neutrals.

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
neutral light not working. Does it have to be on for the bike to start. Will start on cluth in. 502531 well done.

Gardell

I had a similar problem and found it to be the plug on the switch pigtail that goes into the wireing harness, it was easy to get to on the side of the frame near the coolent overflow tank

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum