BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   wheel bearing removal Empty wheel bearing removal Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 pm

archie

Has anyone had problems removing the front wheel bearings , im unable
to move the spacer enough between the bearings to get a purchase on the
back edge of the bearing to gently drift the old ones out , does any one have a solution regards Archie

2Back to top Go down   wheel bearing removal Empty Re: wheel bearing removal Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
???
Few years ago I replaced the front bearings and don't remember having any problem.

My brother wanted to replace the needle bearings in the clutch lever (the one attached to the gear box) but didn't have a proper bearing puller. He came up with a very clever solution: using a rawl plug. They are cheap, easy to find and come in a multitude of size. He removed the needle from the bearing, installed the plug inside the bearing and expanded it. He then used the threaded hole of the plug to attach a regular puller. (Did I ever told you that he's my twin?).
You could use the same solution for your front wheel bearings.
Here is a picture of a rawl plug. (They are use to anchor things in concrete)
wheel bearing removal Shield_Anchor_Only_MM_300%20copy

3Back to top Go down   wheel bearing removal Empty Re: wheel bearing removal Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Wow, now that is an ingenious solution Bert! Cool I've got to look into getting a few of those.

OG

4Back to top Go down   wheel bearing removal Empty Re: wheel bearing removal Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They are quite a problem but the sleeve has two fairly flimsy metal rings to centre it and if you put a lever in the bearing centre but only as far as the mid point and give it a good heave the rings colapse giving you an easy go at the opposite bearing and out they come.
You will need to fix the rings which is done with a pliers and before you put it back with the new bearings cut a section out off the tube at one end so that you can get at it in future. If you just grind a section away with a grinder at about 45deg it will do the trick.

5Back to top Go down   wheel bearing removal Empty Re: wheel bearing removal Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 pm

archie

many thanks guys , Very Happy easy when you know how ! , i had spent over an hour trying to remove them last week , 10 minutes this evening and the old ones are out , i used a small tyre lever to slightly crush the rings hidden under the bearing spacer , which gave enough space to back of bearing to drift out regards archie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum