BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel to water ratio Empty Fuel to water ratio Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

archie

I had to remove my tank + change fuel filter , so i syphoned the petrol ( or what i thought was petrol ) into a jerry can . jerry not quite big enough so i used a clear plastic container , when i had finished i noticed that fuel in the clear container didnt look right - half a pint of water time to check jerry can . in total 3/4 of a pint of water . petrol cap removed drain hole checked / clear , so have replaced gasket & cap with a smear of sealent !

2Back to top Go down   Fuel to water ratio Empty Re: Fuel to water ratio Fri May 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
It may not be anything wrong with the gasket.
Because of the design of the filler cap, when it's raining, the water sits around the cap. When you open it the water goes inside the tank. This may be a small amount but if repeated for many years, at the end it could add up to a substantial amount.

3Back to top Go down   Fuel to water ratio Empty Re: Fuel to water ratio Sun May 29, 2011 11:09 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch archie ......that could have been fun on a trip ...or a few years later after the rust had set in ...

good find

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Fuel to water ratio Empty Re: Fuel to water ratio Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

archie

It was just luck that my jerry can wasnt big enough , and i had to use a clear container , other wise i would not have noticed & just pored it back in !

5Back to top Go down   Fuel to water ratio Empty Re: Fuel to water ratio Tue May 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Once in a while I suck out that liquid from the corners of the tank. It also helps getting rid of any dirt particles sitting there. Especially if they're metallic particles they'll cause rust sooner or later...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum