BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Tach worked fine now wont budge Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 pm

lhead71

So I took my instrument pod apart to Deoxit all the connections and replaced the gear indicator light. I had to take the face off the tach with the needle. I got it all back together and now the Tach doesn't work! Could I have pressed the sweep arm on too tightly? I checked the clearance and it seemed fine.
Anyone ideas?

Last edited by lhead71 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

2Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Might have to take the instrument cluster off the bike again, open it and check your connections again. The contacts are not robust; they are only surface mount brass on flexible circuits and make poor contact with square nickled pins. It's more of a possibility that you have an intermittent contact now. I'd reseat the connectors and test again. To avoid having to put it on and off the bike, use a PC with the Karamba program. Look in the tutorial section for my user's guide.

3Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I thought the Karamba program only tested the speedo not the tacho?

4Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might be a good idea to check the flexible cable (header) from the wiring loom to cluster connections (pins) underneath also.

just in case there has been some cable stretching ....hope you deoxit ed those connections as well as that is where i found my speedo issue .

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:49 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
pjjms wrote:I thought the Karamba program only tested the speedo not the tacho?
Oops, you're right. That won't do after all.

6Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:48 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
You can verify in an instant if the needle is free by moving it with your finger (has to be out of the case of course. If the needle moves smoothly back you don't have a jammed needle. My bet would be on a contact not making properly after you took it apart and reassembled. Go through eacch with the DeoxIT again using the sponge applicator and looking closely at each pin to make sure they are clean.
Don't forget to treat the big multiple pin plug and socket on the back of the speedo.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:58 pm

lhead71

I am sorry to say it is mechanical. The needle moves freely when in a vertical position but when an angle is introduced, like when it is mounted, it jams. I guess I need a new or used assembly.

8Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Try pulling the needle out towards you does that free it? They are a quite delicate mechanism.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Tach worked fine now wont budge Empty Re: Tach worked fine now wont budge Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 pm

lhead71

I have tried pulling it out and it slowly goes back in again until it wont turn anymore. I realize how delicate they are now!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum