BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ColoradoGrant

Hi, I have a freshly rebuilt Works Performance shock that I want to install this weekend. I see only 2 bolts to remove the old shock. I assume I put the bike on the center stand, let the rear wheel drop down, and pull the shock. It looks easy, but just wanted to make sure. Please provide feedback.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
DO NOT ,,,"just let the rear wheel drop down".

there are things inside that swing arm ...

support the wheel about the same radius - distance ..maybe within an 1" (inch) of the full extension of the shock ..... there are seals and shafts , bearings and universal joint that may be damaged if that was dropped down much further.

theres lots of information on here about that ...just look for any thread that mentions "rear spline lubrication "

good luck

Centre stand the beast on a level surface and use a thin block(s) of wood to keep it from dropping, as Charlie says, there's things in there you don't want to muck up. I also use a hand lever (pry bar) to raise and lower the wheel as needed to align the bolts holes when refitting the replacement shockie. Remove the right hand side cover carefully so as to not break off the rear end plastic stud. Some people, myself included, have fabricated a metal stud from a bolt and use two nuts to hold it to the side cover. It acts as a replacement pin when you get ham fisted and break it off. The lower plastic bit that clips over the rubber schnozzle on the frame is easily broken. Both of mine have been super-glued several times and are holding up, but just. The seat will have to be hinged up to access the inner top nut (use a 17mm socket and ratchet and a 17mm box end spanner), and if you have pannier mounts the right hand side mount will have to be unscrewed. You might as well just whiz the whole mount off as it makes it easier for the shockie to clear everything.

Re-installation is easy as. Give the 10mm diametre bolts/nuts a good firm tighten. There's a torque spec but 'feel' will do the job. I also have a Works Performance and though it has no damping adjustment the novel 'preload' handle works well in the three settings. At about 90kilos all wet I often use the middle setting...too soft, Goldilocks, on the bottom rung and too hard, Papa bear, unless your pillion's a big bottomed girl, on the top rung. The lever basically allows for or limits travel as the method of 'tightening' the spring. Update: Perhaps you know this already since it's a rebuilt shock - I've just re-read your initial post!
Good luck.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum