BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:33 am

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
I can't seem to google anything much on it.

I wonder if it's a good bike and whether I should upgrade my k100rs... (I sure like the idea of ABS)

How does it compare to / differ from the k100rs?

2Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 am

The K1100RS has a 16 valve Motronic-controlled engine, four-piston Brembo front callipers and larger master cylinder to match, 17" 3 spoke front and 18" 3-spoke rear wheels with radial tyres, a Paralever final drive/suspension and a fairing that has Ferrari-like side louvres and a colour-matched belly pan as standard, but is basically the same 'architecture' as the K100RS. It is an evolution of the earlier model and some would say the improvements make it a subtly better machine in some ways.

Does anyone have a K1100RS? K1100r10

Does anyone have a K1100RS? K100rs10

3Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is a step up but the seat, well how do I break it to you gently, is still bad news.Does anyone have a K1100RS? 797640

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
There is a couple of web sites with discussions directed towards the K1100 series.

K1100 Owners Group

Motobricks

5Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
The one I'm lookng at has a Corbin seat;)
Unfortunately, it's too expensive; it will cost me a divorce... The bike has 86,000kms and sells for 4,500$ CDN. Is that a decent deal?
It seems to be in good shape, but I couldn't get the gas cap open...

6Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just tell her you intend selling the Vstrom to finance it and it will become very cheap very quickly so long as you promise to sell the K100 soon after.

A Corbin seat would be a definate improvement over the present concrete seat.

$4500 is a good price in Oz but I would say in US it is mid range.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
Can't do that. Wifey is starting to ride, and the vstrom is what she rides; I'm more comfortable with her riding a modern bike with ABS and a known history (I bought it new 3 years ago).

8Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm

winkbuul

What sort of information are you looking for Duck?
I ride a K11RS and I have plenty of documents if needed.

9Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:20 am

rusjel

Hmmmm I had a wonderful week on a K1100RS. I was broke uni student who had just finished his honours thesis and was getting around on an old GS650G Suzi with half a million ks on it. A well heeled and generous friend threw me the keys to his brand new K1100RS and told me to get lost for a few days.

The motor is a little smoother and a little more fuel efficient. The Mazzochi suspension and Brembo brakes are a significant improvement over the K100.

Then there's the wheels. Wider rims designed to take radial low profile tires. These are a big plus whipping through a set of twisties but aquaplane a lot more on gravel. For gentle cruising and all roads riding I think maybe a disadvantage?

If I may draw an analogy between K bikes and the Volksie beetle: in the mis 70s they started bolting McPherson strut front ends onto Beetles in a bid to modernise them. They tried to update a design that was fine doing what it did pointlessly as it was never going to match the new compact cars.

The K100RS was designed around old school suspension and tires and I think works as an integrated package better like this. You don't try and push it harder that you should and you get a good honest bike in return.

I had a wonderful week scratching and touring in the K11 but suspected that the uprated running gear encouraged me to push the thing harder than it really wanted to go. I probably should add that I raced bikes in my youth, only at club level but have a bit of an idea of what I'm doing.

The K1200RS was designed from the start with four piston brakes, modern suspension and low profile wide radial tires in mind. I reckon its a better bet if you want a more modern machine, let the K 100 be what it is.

Please don't take offense K1100RS owners, you have a great bike in its own right, understand what it is and ride it accordingly, this is just how I see things

Last edited by rusjel on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited mainly to fix my gumby spelling)

10Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep thats how i see it rus .....but it aint all bad huh ?
out on the road these old beasts hold there own ....(in like minded old veterans )

it is to be appreciated for what it is .....comparisons to the latest freaks of engineering ...need not apply ....ancient electronics and design philosophys might well be cast as old school ...but i like it like that ....it provides more of a challenge.

every now and then ..throwing a leg over a late model machine is good for the aspirataions of the soul ....scarey none the less ..

but in all things ...balance and comfort carries its own special reward and if we can restore that special something that the "k" represents ....the world is a better place ...if for nothing but appreciating something verry special ......

just a thought

11Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 am

The K1100RS was a simple evolution of the previous model using current at the time technology, in response to market demands, based on marketing and what the 'other guys' were doing at the time but in BMW's own inimitable way. It was shiny and new, but better, in some small and important ways. I remember as I was immersed in it and paying attention. Those subtle changes to the K1100 series have helped me to shift my own K100RS in that direction, a bike which I truly admire and trust, and which does on occasion need some help.

12Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 am

rusjel

Beautifully put Charlie,

I see my brick as a beautifully well made, simple bike in the tradition of the 70s and 80s UJM, able to do all sort of things but in a uniquely Beemer way. Changing the wheels especially changes the bike into something else.

It doesn't mean that making a better mouse trap is wrong, it just means you've skewed the eternal perfomance/usabillity compromise in a particular direction and you had better for your own sake understand what you've done.

Two wheels better, I reiterate that if a person buys a K1100RS knowing what it is they've bought and how they are going to use it they have a fine motorcycle.

13Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 am

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
All above comments are spot on... the only things missing are they have a 50mm longer wheel base (which is even longer than the K12RS) and the engine is almost a square bore (Bore and stroke almost the same dimensions) both of these features together with knockout styling are what lured me to buy one.
On the downside they do have a reputation of running hot, but that can be fixed fairly economically.

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

14Back to top Go down   Does anyone have a K1100RS? Empty Re: Does anyone have a K1100RS? Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:09 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="GB777"]All above comments are spot on... the only things missing are they have a 50mm longer wheel base (which is even longer than the K12RS) and the engine is almost a square bore (Bore and stroke almost the same dimensions) both of these features together with knockout styling are what lured me to buy one.
On the downside they do have a reputation of running hot, but that can be fixed fairly economically.[/quote]

The three row radiator from an early K-100 and the higher flow water pump from an eight valve K-100 or pre 1990 K-75 solves the K-1100s cooling problems part way. The four valve head, however, simply doesn't have as much coolant in it as the old two valve head.

Though the K-1100 has the same stroke as the K-100, BMW used much shorter pistons on the 1100 than they did on the 1000, allowing for a 7 mm longer conrod. This gives the 1100 a more favorable conrod length to stroke ratio and explains a lot of their smooth nature. You could, if you wanted, put cams from a European K-1/K-100-16V in the K-1100, remap the e-prom in the engine management and wake it right the heck up. K-1100s have very soft cam timing. You could also adapt K-1200 throttle bodies to the engine. Ks respond to bigger holes to breathe through.

The shame is the 1100 is pig heavy compared to a first year K-100RS.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum